Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 645D images

travel67
Posted 19/06/2010 - 16:33 Link
The 645D has arrived. I know many people want to see what kind of images the camera can produce. I'll do my best to keep everyone up to date about the experiences I'm having with the camera via my blog and upload full size JPEGS to Flickr so you can see the images.

The blog is here:
link

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

So the first image taken with the camera, almost straight out of the box was of Bear (my dog).

Comment Image

See the larger image on Flickr here link

And later this afternoon I went out to the coast for a better test of the camera's abilities.
Comment Image

Full size JPEG on Flickr here
link

Will hopefully get some more images tomorrow, and even test out using 67 lenses on the 645D body.

Chris
Chris Willson
www.travel67.com
Anvh
Posted 19/06/2010 - 16:54 Link
Congratulations Chris
Could you give a small insight of your thoughts about the camera?

Just looked at your full size photos and I'm amazed about the resolution and how much details it can hold.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 19/06/2010 - 16:57
johnriley
Posted 19/06/2010 - 17:17 Link
Looking good, it will be fascinating to see how this is accepted and how long it takes to get to the UK.

If it goes well, this could lead to many other exciting things from Pentax.
Best regards, John
pink
Posted 19/06/2010 - 17:57 Link
looking forward to seeing more of this one

just out of interest did the camera come with a kit lens ??

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Edited by pink: 19/06/2010 - 17:57
alfpics
Posted 19/06/2010 - 18:31 Link
Amazing detail!
Andy
Andy
bwlchmawr
Posted 19/06/2010 - 19:45 Link
Great photograph, particularly when you consider it was essentially a test shot! What a wonderful camera. I do hope Pentax export them to these shores. Until then it would be nice to receive a regular supply of images, Chrs.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2010 - 20:59 Link
Pentax will roll them out in due course. I suspect their reason for not doing so immediately is that they are finding it difficult to estimate the level of demand, and don't want to disappoint people if production can't keep pace with sales.

If they appear here in under six months, you can probably reckon that sales in Japan have been disappointing.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
hefty1
Posted 19/06/2010 - 23:54 Link
Love the pictures, and I too would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how the camera handles once you've had a chance to use it in anger.

George Lazarette wrote:
If they appear here in under six months, you can probably reckon that sales in Japan have been disappointing.

G

From what I hear the whole production was sold out on day 1 and there's now a 6 week waiting list - I reckon that indicates a fairly healthy demand for a "niche" product.
Joining the Q
George Lazarette
Posted 20/06/2010 - 00:31 Link
hefty1 wrote:

From what I hear the whole production was sold out on day 1 and there's now a 6 week waiting list - I reckon that indicates a fairly healthy demand for a "niche" product.

Well, we shall see. This must have been one of the longest-trailled products in the history of photography. It is surely possible that almost every potential purchaser had placed an order with his supplier, and once this initial demand has been met, there won't be much more.

Unless of course they decide to sell multi-coloured ones.

G
Pentaxophile
Posted 20/06/2010 - 01:27 Link
Multicoloured ones, that's really funny!

I think the reason I heard for the Japan-only release is because Pentax want a proper customer support system in place. But I wonder if anyone has imported one into the UK yet?
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
johnriley
Posted 20/06/2010 - 08:36 Link
Quote:
It is surely possible that almost every potential purchaser had placed an order with his supplier, and once this initial demand has been met, there won't be much more.

Possibly possible but probably not. I don't think the Japanese work quite that much in unison. Then there's the rest of the world.

I suspect Pentax will be looking for more factory space soon.
Best regards, John
George Lazarette
Posted 20/06/2010 - 10:05 Link
I was only talking about Japan. And if any nation tends to work in unison, it's the Japanese.

In my view, it's going to be highly sought after by a fairly small number of people. It'll mainly be the same people as owned a film 645, less those who have defected and won't change back, plus those who for some reason (price?) haven't replaced their film Hassie or Mamiya with a digital one.

Compared to the 135 format and its derivatives (APS-C and 4/3), it's a very small market.

Thinking about it, there is actually another market, of unknown size, and that is keen 135ers who always wanted a medium format camera but were put off by the cost and hassle of processing. I used to own a Bronica but seldom used it for that reason. If a maiden aunt were to shuffle off and leave me a small legacy I could be very tempted.

Sadly, I have no maiden aunts left.

G

ETA: I'll just have to get Thoramay to up his offer on my 300mm.
Edited by George Lazarette: 20/06/2010 - 10:07
robbie_d
Posted 20/06/2010 - 10:10 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
I was only talking about Japan. And if any nation tends to work in unison, it's the Japanese.

In my view, it's going to be highly sought after by a fairly small number of people. It'll mainly be the same people as owned a film 645, less those who have defected and won't change back, plus those who for some reason (price?) haven't replaced their film Hassie or Mamiya with a digital one.

Compared to the 135 format and its derivatives (APS-C and 4/3), it's a very small market.

Thinking about it, there is actually another market, of unknown size, and that is keen 135ers who always wanted a medium format camera but were put off by the cost and hassle of processing. I used to own a Bronica but seldom used it for that reason. If a maiden aunt were to shuffle off and leave me a small legacy I could be very tempted.

Sadly, I have no maiden aunts left.

G

ETA: I'll just have to get Thoramay to up his offer on my 300mm.

:
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
johnriley
Posted 20/06/2010 - 10:13 Link
A perceptive answer George.

Your choice of a Bronica was logical in that it works the "same way round" in terms of focus and aperture scales as Pentax and Nikon, unlike say the Mamiya MF cameras.

At the price it's bound to be a small market, relatively speaking, but it has the possibility of earning some good money in it and won't do any harm. Like yourself, I have no maiden aunts to provide funding, but if some cash turned up and it were to be available, I just might go for it.

It is just so desireable....
Best regards, John
rparmar
Posted 20/06/2010 - 12:50 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
It is surely possible that almost every potential purchaser had placed an order with his supplier, and once this initial demand has been met, there won't be much more.

Even in Japan that is highly unlikely. Once people actually get to see the cameras, put their hands on units in stores, see how excited their friends are, read the blog reviews, etc. there will be much increased demand. (Unless the product is rubbish... but I don't think so.)

The professional market is relatively small, but many other people have money to spend on products because a) they can, b) they have an abiding interest, c) it's a status symbol. Just look at Leica, who know how to cultivate this effect. IMO Pentax should take a leaf from their book. Because I don't really care why people buy the 645D... the fact that they do will drive future R&D and improvements.

Not to mention driving the price down.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.