Pentax 35mm f2

hotshots4u2c

Link Posted 03/11/2007 - 17:52
I just received a used Pentax 35mm f2 lens in the box with Pentax UV filter Pentax Lens Bag and Owners Manual. All in mint condition.

Paid $275.00 dollars for it on Ebay.

As I am reasonably new to the Pentax line (Since June 07)

Was this a good deal ?

Is it as rare as some state ? (At least in the USA)

How would you rate it 1-10 ?

Plan on trying it out today.

Thanks, RG.

niblue

Link Posted 03/11/2007 - 19:34
I take it this was the AF version? B&H list it new for $299.95 (no idea if they actually have stock though) so $275 used seems perhaps a little steep to me. Pentax UV filters can be quite expensive so that might make the deal more worthwhile if you actually use them (I don't).

I used to have the SMC-M 35mm F2 version and it was a pretty good lens although it wasn't a focal length I used all that much. It'd make a decent "normal" lens with an APS-C DSLR though.

hotshots4u2c

Link Posted 03/11/2007 - 20:34
niblue.

This was the least expensive at the time I was bidding. There were only a couple of others at close to $400.00. One was in Japan.

RG.

Kim C

Link Posted 03/11/2007 - 23:56
Much will depend on which version of the 35/2 it is. The original K version are much sought after and quite rare. The M's much less so. The A's get a reasonable price because of compatibility and the AF version is readily available new.

If it is the FA version, the price is rather steep as others have said.

Kim

hotshots4u2c

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 04:37
Kim C.

I don't know about that, I do know there are only three FA's on Ebay listed for sale here. (I have the FA)

One used in Taiwan for $321. One in Ireland for $345 and one in Japan for $383, Plus of course shipping.

I can't find any others currently on the Web, so they are certainly not readable available here in the USA, or for that matter anywhere else. Unless I am missing something.

What about my other questions ?

Thanks, RG.

Kim C

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 11:09
Hi,
It is a good lens especially for the price though not quite up to the 31 Ltd. It was certainly one of the better Pentax 35's. More info here http://stans-photography.info/

It certainly is not a rare lens. How can it be if it is available new. (Albeit it now discontinued.)

As to the value of the deal, that is up to you.

Kim

George Lazarette

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 11:30
These lenses are theoretically available, but usually out of stock, so 275 dollars is not unreasonable if you don't want to wait.

For those who like standard lenses, this is an excellent choice on a DSLR, being of high quality, and much smaller than the 31 Ltd.

I'm sure you'll love it.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

hotshots4u2c

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 17:07
Thanks for the info.

I tried it briefly yesterday. Took a few shots of a house we are burning down for a training event on 8th December.

Very boring images, nice and sharp, great color. I am sure I will be happy with it

Cheers, RG.

Clarky

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 17:20
hotshots4u2c wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I tried it briefly yesterday. Took a few shots of a house we are burning down for a training event on 8th December.

Very boring images, nice and sharp, great color. I am sure I will be happy with it

Cheers, RG.

Houses burning down are never boring i would say
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

George Lazarette

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 17:26
Clarky wrote:
hotshots4u2c wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Cheers, RG.

Houses burning down are never boring i would say

You're not a fireman. Hotshots never sees a house that isn't burning down, so that is what he would call interesting.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ZaphodB

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 17:29
As others have said, it isn't exactly rare but it is discontinued and not as easy to find as a current lens. That said, B&H do apparently have it in stock now. Still a saving of $25 is better than nothing.

Anyway it probably wasn't a great deal for a used one, but having paid 200 for mine I still don't think you can complain at paying $275... not that I want to turn this into another post about how we get ripped off over here

As for quality, it's a very good lens, and as niblue and George have said it's a very good 'standard' lens for your dSLR; a '50mm equivalent' with the advantage of still being a great moderately wide lens on film too. My experience has been that as well as having a great peak performance, it's very good even wide open; more so than the 50mm lenses which are best stopped down a bit more, so the max aperture being 'only' f/2 is not a problem. It's one of my favourite lenses and gets a lot of use on both my film and digital bodies.

hotshots4u2c

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 18:37
Couple of things to clear up.

I am a Fire Department Photographer ONLY.

Yes I am in the thick of it, but I don't fight fires. I just make a record of just about everything my department gets involved in.

Yes, it can get intense and I have to watch my back, need I state the real work is not done by me, the brave firefighters do that.

Shooting images of structure fires is certainly not boring, one never knows what will happen next and I am pretty much in constant movement. Live burn drills are pretty much worked out and start real slow with smoke drills, roof drills, then the fire drills and finally full a structure burn.

The live fire drill on the 8th December is a bit different as there will be four fire departments involved, much of it will be for training rookies.

It's not required but I like to shoot the drill structures before the burn. This one is yet another older farm house, sitting right near a big new house, with lots of large trees in the immediate area. Also lots of out buildings and barns close by. It will be a tricky burn

Boring. NEVER.

RG.

hotshots4u2c

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 18:50
ZaphodB

Thanks for info.

B&H told me they don't have it.

Just because it may be around, doesn't make it not rare.
I certainly don't believe to be able to find only 3 on ebay (1 used 2new)
and none on the Web, makes it easy to get.

How rare does rare have to be ????

Just out of interest, are they hard to find in the UK ?

Sorry you guys have to pay so much more than we do, I don't think I will sleep tonight now knowing I got such a great deal in comparison !!!!!!!!!

Cheers, RG.

ZaphodB

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 21:06
hotshots4u2c wrote:
ZaphodB

Thanks for info.

B&H told me they don't have it.

Just because it may be around, doesn't make it not rare.
I certainly don't believe to be able to find only 3 on ebay (1 used 2new)
and none on the Web, makes it easy to get.

How rare does rare have to be ????

Just out of interest, are they hard to find in the UK ?

Sorry you guys have to pay so much more than we do, I don't think I will sleep tonight now knowing I got such a great deal in comparison !!!!!!!!!

Cheers, RG.

Ah OK, I assumed B&H had it because it was listed as "In stock"... guess they just have the same problems so many other retailers seem to have in showing whether they have stock or not

I'm surprised there's none available anywhere on the web, as there were a couple of stores here in the UK selling them until fairly recently. As for eBay, actually I would say 3 selling at once does qualify as "not rare", when compared to many other lenses which tend to appear rarely, and disappear quickly when they do. Also you may be aware that the 35mm f/2, though discontinued by Pentax, is now also sold by Samsung (as a "Schneider" lens), so is actually available new if you don't mind having a different name on an otherwise identical lens.

So I wouldn't consider it hard to find, although I can understand why it seems that way... What I should really have said was that it's not rare "by Pentax standards"...

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 04/11/2007 - 22:09
ZaphodB wrote:
Also you may be aware that the 35mm f/2, though discontinued by Pentax, is now also sold by Samsung...

Although, the one on Amazon.co.uk is listed at 265, so HotShot's $275 would seem quite a bargain!

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.