Pentax 1000mm/f11 reflex

Cayman

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 09:05
Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I spotted one of these for sale locally. It has a built in set of ND filters and other filters and oozes build quality. Question is: how does it perform? I would assume that manual focus with an f11 lens could be challenging (!), and that it will be highly susceptible to vibrations but just wanted to know if anyone out there has used one and recommends it?

johnriley

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 09:12
The quality of this very expensive lens will be fine, but the limiting factor will be technique. 1000mm lenses (1500mm equiv on DSLRs) need a rock steady tripod, are difficult to frame accurately and have just about zero depth of field. They are limited in distance shots by atmospheric haze.

They are indispensable professional tools for those who need them, but often disappointing for those who want to point and shoot with them.
Best regards, John

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 09:22
I have not used it but I am sure you will need a real good and sturdy tripod as it will be very susceptible to vibrations (having used a 500mm mirror I even experienced this on that one, in particular if the speed of the shutter was slower then 1/125).
I would use a wooden tripod as I sincerely believe that the wood dampens vibrations better then aluminium. Also you will need a very good and sturdy tripod head.
In my opinion it is very rare that I would find the need for this focal length. 500-600mm is probably more practical.
But if the price is good I would be tempted. Manual focus and f11 should not really be a challenge, but the vibrations and the focal length may well be.
I sold my mirror as I feel that I get a better IQ with a 'normal' 500mm then with a mirror.
Again, if the price is good it would be tempting but honestly I can not see much use of more then 500mm FOR MY PURPOSES!
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Algernon

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 09:32
There was a similar thread to this within the last 2 months
and someone posted a link to a test of some of these long lenses.
Should be easy enough to find just search for 1000mm. I think
it was about one on ebay.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

thoughton

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 09:58
I think Mayday has one of these, perhaps he'll chime in.

I have a Russian MTO 1000mm f11 mirror. It is massive, much larger than my old 500mm Tamron mirror. Perhaps 3 times as long, and 5 times as heavy. My main problem with it is that the focus ring is fairly stiff, and the diameter is so huge that I cannot get a proper grip on it turn it with one hand. So I need two hands to focus, which isn't brilliant Hopefully the Pentax one has a lighter focus ring!

I'm not sure if the stiff focus ring is simply due to age, or simply because of the weight of metal and glass it has to move around. I suspect the latter, I don't think the lens is especially ancient.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

Algernon

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 10:22
Algernon wrote:
and someone posted a link to a test of some of these long lenses.
Should be easy enough to find just search for 1000mm. I think
it was about one on ebay.

This is the thread

Algi

thoughton

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 10:27
That was interesting Algernon, I missed that thread first time around (I was probably hungover ). Nice to see my lens holding it's own against the Pentax

You can still get the MTO 1000mm lenses new I believe, I've seen them on some Russian importers site for about £300.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

mayday

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 15:05
Cayman wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I spotted one of these for sale locally. It has a built in set of ND filters and other filters and oozes build quality. Question is: how does it perform? I would assume that manual focus with an f11 lens could be challenging (!), and that it will be highly susceptible to vibrations but just wanted to know if anyone out there has used one and recommends it?

Chiming In - Yes I do have one of these lenses. I found it surprisingly easy to hand hold, along with a bean bag support. The images produced were very good for a mirror lens of this focal length. Apologies in advance, but no images availble now as my pc crashed and took the attached backup drive with it!! -
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:

womble

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 18:10
Dare I ask much they are asking for it?

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Cayman

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 18:46
Quote:
1000mm lenses (1500mm equiv on DSLRs) need a rock steady tripod, are difficult to frame accurately and have just about zero depth of field. They are limited in distance shots by atmospheric haze.

Thanks John - these were my thoughts on likely usability of the lens also.

Quote:
In my opinion it is very rare that I would find the need for this focal length. 500-600mm is probably more practical.

SmutjeUK - I'd agree with that too. Cant say I have felt the need for 1000mm but was intrigued when i saw it and it strikes me as something one does not come across very often.

Quote:

Thanks Algi - that I had not spotted and it made very interesting reading.

Quote:
So I need two hands to focus, which isn't brilliant Hopefully the Pentax one has a lighter focus ring!

Tim - that I shall check. I could get one hand around the focusing ring but didnt try to actually use the lens. Thanks for mentioning it.

Quote:
I found it surprisingly easy to hand hold, along with a bean bag support. The images produced were very good for a mirror lens of this focal length.

David many thanks indeed for chiming in and no need to apologize. User experience is exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds promising. Cant say I had actually considered handholding, was thinking that a monopod would be the bare minimum reqd.

Quote:
Dare I ask much they are asking for it?

Kris - Good question. How much is it worth? Mint & boxed with all original packaging. The "asking" price is a grand. Now I could have a K5 for that!

gartmore

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 18:55
Probably about right when you can get a 50mm for £50
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Algernon

Link Posted 17/02/2011 - 19:55
Looks like the one in the link I gave above didn't get
any bids on the SP of £450 and didn't sell.

Algi

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 18/02/2011 - 07:08
Algernon wrote:
Looks like the one in the link I gave above didn't get
any bids on the SP of £450 and didn't sell.

I am not really surprised about that. If I would be parting with this kind of money for a lens I would like to have some kind of warranty.
Also, I would prefer Pick Up (in particular from someone with only 5 feedback) and would like to inspect the lens myself first, but that was not possible.
I would have no problem of buying from SRS or another retailer as I know I am getting what was described but seeing how different the descriptions are on eBay I really would not feel too secure on this one.
Why does he not sell it to LCE or sell on commission? He would get at the very least double the money for it.
Something inside me just tells me that (even if I would have the money for it) to stay away from this. It may be me but it seems strange to part with this lens for this kind of price if it is 'Mint' as he claims.
He may be correct but I still would like to see the lens first before I part with my money on eBay.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.