Pentax 'Anti-Shake' let me down

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 17:03
I was photographing the Brentwood Mayor-Making from the public gallery -- I used my K10D set to ISO 1250 and a 75-150mm f4 SMC Pentax-M lens at full aperture and 'AV' exposure mode -- well, the pics looked OK in the viewfinder for focus BUT they are all un-sharp due to shake and I had the Pentax 'Anti-Shake' on --Iooked at the 'EXIF' data and I was getting 1/60th and 1/50th second also do you think I was getting back-focus again as I suffer quite often with the K10D ?

been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

wvbarnes

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 17:48
Hi Peter,

1/50th second at 150mm may be a bit of a stretch. I assume you had to put the focal length in first for the Shake reduction given the use of a manual lens. Is it possible you entered the wrong length intended, as its a zoom lens?

In the first the central character looks sharper but all seems out of focus in second two.

johnriley

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 18:26
150 x 1.5 = 225, so the minimum shutter speed should be 1/250s. Three stops advantage means we might expect to get away with 1/30s with SR on, so 1/50s is OK, but only just.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 18:40
I didn't think it was possible to use an 'M' lens in Av mode ... ??
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

DrOrloff

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 18:42
It is but only with a fully open aperture.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 18:59
I see, thanks ... Is it possible that in this configuration the SR would not activate, even though the shutter opened? How was the shutter speed set without any stop-down ... Just trying to think through the possibilities that could have disabled the SR.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Algernon

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 19:43
Hi Peter,
Looks to be camera shake at about 40 deg. If they are important Focus Magic could recover quite a bit. Do it in 2 processes...
1st fix Motion Blur at 40 deg. Distance Value 4
2nd Fix Focus at a Blur Width of 3

The FREE version allows 8 goes (I think)

http://www.focusmagic.com/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 21/05/2015 - 19:50

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 21:44
Algernon wrote:
Hi Peter,
Looks to be camera shake at about 40 deg. If they are important Focus Magic could recover quite a bit. Do it in 2 processes...
1st fix Motion Blur at 40 deg. Distance Value 4
2nd Fix Focus at a Blur Width of 3

The FREE version allows 8 goes (I think)

http://www.focusmagic.com/

--

It seems to just heavily pixelate the image.

1/50s might be enough at 150mm but I wouldn't rely on it. 1/50s isn't fast enough to avoid motion blur in moving people though.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/05/2015 - 22:33
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

1/50s might be enough at 150mm but I wouldn't rely on it. 1/50s isn't fast enough to avoid motion blur in moving people though.

This basically.

Shake Reduction allows you to hold the camera for longer shutter times, but it doesn't stop objects moving in the frame during that period.

These don't seem to be shake related problems to be honest, but more a consequence of having too long a shutter speed for the speed of the action in the frame. 1/200 of second would be more suitable for instance, and higher still if you want to ensure there is no movement blur. You'll need a faster lens, or a higher ISO to achieve this.

Just went through the exact same thing with photos from the kids cross country sports run, which needed more ISO and less shutter speed to catch the kids.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 21/05/2015 - 22:34

gwing

Link Posted 22/05/2015 - 02:40
richandfleur wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

This basically.

Shake Reduction allows you to hold the camera for longer shutter times, but it doesn't stop objects moving in the frame during that period.

These don't seem to be shake related problems to be honest, but more a consequence of having too long a shutter speed for the speed of the action in the frame. 1/200 of second would be more suitable for instance, and higher still if you want to ensure there is no movement blur. You'll need a faster lens, or a higher ISO to achieve this.

Just went through the exact same thing with photos from the kids cross country sports run, which needed more ISO and less shutter speed to catch the kids.

To my eyes the static objects are just as soft as the potentially moving ones so I don't think its subject movement.

richandfleur

Link Posted 22/05/2015 - 06:54
The handshake one seems rock solid in the middle and blurry as you head away from this?

vic cross

Link Posted 22/05/2015 - 08:12
Just a thought. Did you have the camera on a tripod? If so then the SR should be turned off as it counteracts its self.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 22/05/2015 - 08:50
Thanks for all your 'Expert Input' -- well NO I didn't use a tripod as the Public Gallery was packed -- I have done pics from there before and got better results last year -- I will try a PRIME 150mm f4 SMC Takumar with the Screw-Bayonet adapter setting full aperture . Usually when I use an 'M' fit lens on my K10D I find it DOES stop down OK -- I usually have to use some + exposure compensation though -- I have no trouble in better light using that lens for local Press work as here ----

These were 'stopped down' OK and used in the Yellow Advertiser Havering Edition this week.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Darkmunk

Link Posted 23/05/2015 - 08:54
Quote:
Thanks for all your 'Expert Input'

How nIce
Well then the following opinion is for anyone else wanting to try this:
It's a combination of things by the looks of it. Basically almost everything is wrong.
Way too slow shutter.
Manual zoom, can't have SR set accurately. SR doesn't work as well at the long end anyway.
Wide open lens focus user error given poor light in viewfinder?
incidentally, a manual lens won't automatically stop down during the exposure; you explicitly set it and get a reading before the shot. Or you work with it wide open.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 23/05/2015 - 09:53
I cannot understand what members say on this site that 'M' series lenses will not 'stop down' and can be used only at full aperture -- I have no probs seeing the aperture stop down if I use 'AV' or 'M' exposure mode -- all my 'M' lenses stop down OK -- the aperture activating thing works. Here is the actual 75-150mm SMC Pentax-M lens set to f11 and photographed during a time exposure I set of 13 seconds on my K10D -- it has stopped down OK ---

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.