Park Hill Flats, Sheffield - Image Heavy
Posted 25/03/2015 - 22:00
Link
Those take me back, Andrew - great shots, and a dignified portrait of an area that was always regarded as potentially problematic when I lived in Sheffield (more than 30 years ago, admittedly).
Very nice work.
Very nice work.
Posted 25/03/2015 - 22:28
Link
Great set of images Drew, living in Sheffield I should know this place, but I've never been there!
Cheers
David
Cheers
David
Posted 25/03/2015 - 22:31
Link
All very well shot and framed ... I like the angles and depth you've created, and the sense of starkness comes through powerfully.
Processing style? It could be said to suit the subject (the grittiness you mentioned, in a literal manner) ... I can accept that, but I do find some of the 'lighting effects' (little unexpected 'pools' of light and some inverted shadows) a bit too much, unnatural. This type of HDR look will always divide opinions, but I prefer to look at each particular subject individually. Here I think the texture elements are a plus, but the lighting contrasts are not.
But not to distract from the excellent technical captures and compositions!
Processing style? It could be said to suit the subject (the grittiness you mentioned, in a literal manner) ... I can accept that, but I do find some of the 'lighting effects' (little unexpected 'pools' of light and some inverted shadows) a bit too much, unnatural. This type of HDR look will always divide opinions, but I prefer to look at each particular subject individually. Here I think the texture elements are a plus, but the lighting contrasts are not.
But not to distract from the excellent technical captures and compositions!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 25/03/2015 - 22:33
Link
davidstorm wrote:
Great set of images Drew, living in Sheffield I should know this place, but I've never been there. Cheers, David
You must live on the other side of town David .....
Great set of images Drew, living in Sheffield I should know this place, but I've never been there. Cheers, David
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 25/03/2015 - 23:41
Link
Even though I lived in UK for a couple of years, I know nothing of this area, gritty shots, not a huge fan of hdr, but these I like. Not over done at all. I like no 3 which the juxtaposition probably ties in well with what seems to have been a hard done by area. ( could be reading more into it than there is )
Nice set
Derek
Nice set
Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 26/03/2015 - 00:12
Link
A wonderful, utopian concept, thought up by people who tended to live in another part of the town.
Photographs like these are important comments.
Photographs like these are important comments.
Posted 26/03/2015 - 12:02
Link
I hate HDR usually, but I quite like these (especially the first), partly because the HDR has been used with restraint.
The perspectives in 4 and 5 work for me, too.
G
The perspectives in 4 and 5 work for me, too.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 27/03/2015 - 11:08
Link
Nice set Drew, I like the processing on these. I should have a wander round there before they all get refurbished.
FYI there's (was the last time I was there) an interesting video on a loop in the Weston Park Museum all about these flats from their prime to the subsequent decline. Very interesting.
Regards
George
FYI there's (was the last time I was there) an interesting video on a loop in the Weston Park Museum all about these flats from their prime to the subsequent decline. Very interesting.
Regards
George
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2943 posts
15 years
Chesterfield
All shot with the K3 and DA* f2.8 16-50 mm.
1. Home
2. Empty World
3. Gentlemen
4. Locked
5. Powerless Corridor
6. Goal
For me the last one sums up the effect that football can have on society. For those that know Park Hill Flats you will understand the social issues the flats had, in my mind the football goal will have offered hope and escape for those that played on the pitch.
Thanks for looking,
"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla
PPG link
Flickr link