Out and About #1

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 15:21
Given that my contribution to the forum is sporadic at best, I thought that I can make up for this in a little way by starting an occasional series based upon me being out and about.

I like to explore places when I get the opportunity, albeit being away from home with work has been curtailed somewhat during the pandemic. I prefer to travel light and, when in busy cities, I feel it is an advantage to not be carrying too much expensive gear: this normally means the camera with a single lens.

I find this approach helpful in encouraging me to see things I may normally walk by. Sometimes I get a picture I'm pleased with, sometimes I take no pictures at all. Nevertheless, I'm happy that I have been out and about.

Yesterday evening I took a walk in the December gloom and came across an example for me to add to a project that I have on street lights. Rather than the lamps themselves, I try to capture the shape of the light created by the lamp, or the light and shadows cast beneath.

Whilst taking this picture it started to rain fairly heavily so I did not explore all of the opportunities of this location, but still, I came away with something.

Undecided on whether I prefer the conversion to black and white or the original colour.

Pentax K5, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm, f/6.3, 1/3s, ISO 320

Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Last Edited by LongTimeLurker on 28/12/2021 - 15:22

K10D

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 15:39
The black and white is excellent. Talk about less is more.

Very well seen and photographed.

Best regards

Lubbyman

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 16:08
Very good - straight from a 1950's film - man in raincoat (turned up collar) approaches from left, stops under street lamp, lights cigarette, looks cautiously around, walks slowly into the darkness ... cue scary music ... build your own plot from that!

The B&W version works best for me - same as with 1950's thriller films .

Please keep being out and about - and posting the results.

Steve

Flan

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 18:23
As said by K10D and Lubbyman
The BW is ace.
Inviting one cautiously.
Super suspenseful photo

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 19:53
B&W for me by a country mile .... excellent photo.
. My Flickr

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 20:28
Excellent images...very evocative of a certain era as very eloquently put by Steve.

I like them both but agree with concensus that the B&W has it.

regards

Karlo

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 28/12/2021 - 20:41
Well seen, great atmosphere with lovely textures in the black and white version.
Paul

K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 29/12/2021 - 01:07
B&W without a second thought. It oozes atmosphere.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

pschlute

Link Posted 01/01/2022 - 14:01
Cracking image
Peter

My Flickr page

LennyBloke

Link Posted 01/01/2022 - 19:08
pschlute wrote:
Cracking image

Couldn't agree more - Nicely done Nigel
LennyBloke

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 02/01/2022 - 17:22
Dear all.

Thank you for the feedback. The result of the implicit poll is clear: the monochrome comes out on top.

I was undecided as the limited palette and unintentional sepia-feel of the original appealed despite me imagining the scene in black and white when I first saw it.
Nigel.

A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 02/01/2022 - 17:26
Lubbyman wrote:
Very good - straight from a 1950's film - man in raincoat (turned up collar) approaches from left, stops under street lamp, lights cigarette, looks cautiously around, walks slowly into the darkness ... cue scary music ... build your own plot from that!

The B&W version works best for me - same as with 1950's thriller films .

Please keep being out and about - and posting the results.

Steve

A more likely scene in that location is ... a dog with hair damp with rain approaches the lamp post, sniffs around, cocks leg to leave it's own signature, wanders off into the dark. Owner, head down, looking at a glowing piece of glass, shuffles past a minute or two later.

I think I prefer your script, Peter
Nigel.

Chrism8

Link Posted 03/01/2022 - 08:25
To agree with the above, the BW version for me
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 05/01/2022 - 12:51
I agree - the mono !
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.