Our eyes

pschlute

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 16:21
As photographers we would miss functionality of our eyes a little bit more than most I suspect.

This week I had an episode late one evening where I started to notice “floaters” in my right eye more than usual. I started to worry when I noticed flashing lights in the same eye. A bit of googling had me in a panic as I read about retinal detachment. The following day I was unable to get an optician appointment but was urged by them to go to a&e

A&e referred me straight away to a ophthalmology clinic at a different hospital who checked me out. Luckily I have Vitreous detachment (PVD) rather than the more serious retinal detachment.

I had never heard of this apparently common condition. Importantly however the symptoms are the same as a retinal detachment (one can lead to the other) So the moral is if you see these changes get to a&e or an optician straight away. If it is retinal detachment 24 hours can make the difference between losing your sight completely or not
Peter

My Flickr page

HarisF1

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 17:17
Thank you for this - even if it's a false alarm it's worth getting it checked out.

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 18:37
That must have been quite scary. Knowing me I'd probably have tried to sleep it off like I did my stroke recently! Pleased you got it checked out OK.
John K

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 19:40
Nasty. You say you were checked out and it wasn't the most serious possibility, but don't say whether your sight is/will be/will remain OK. Fingers crossed that it hasn't done permanent damage.

I'll extend your warning to get checked out ASAP if you get those symptoms: Get checked out ASAP if there is ANY sudden change to eyesight. 15+ years ago, sight in one of my eyes started getting hazy. After a few days it was like looking through thick fog. Checked with an optician friend who told me to see a doctor ASAP. Turned out to be iritis (the first of many, many bouts over several years). Treatable, but that delay in being checked out has left a permanent mark on the iris. Thankfully, it's not big enough to affect vision noticeably (think small mark on front element of camera lens). But it could have been a lot worse.

Steve

Helpful

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 20:06
Wow! Glad you were able to get treatment quickly.
A good reminder to look after our eyes, be aware of changes and not be afraid to seek advice.

I have Fuchs dystrophy which affects the cornea. Luckily it mostly only affects my night vision, but I wear sunglasses on all but the dullest of days because of it.

Helpful

Sry

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 20:36
Oh my. I do hope you have been well taken care of, and that your vision will remain unimpaired.

Helpful

pschlute

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 20:50
Lubbyman wrote:
Nasty. You say you were checked out and it wasn't the most serious possibility, but don't say whether your sight is/will be/will remain OK.

The condition I have is PVD which is apparently quite common amongst those over 50. Once it settles down in 3-4 weeks there should be no noticeable difference to my eyesight at all.

There is a chance that the detachment of the Vitreous over the next few weeks could damage the retina, but I have been told what to watch out for and am under strict instructions to get to hospital should they occur. If acted on quickly it can be repaired.

It was the fact that the symptoms are identical to retinal detachment that was the scary bit. Especially as failure to seek immediate help could lead to blindness in that eye if it were indeed the more serious condition.
Peter

My Flickr page

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 21:18
Yikes... that must have been pretty scary... very glad to hear you’re on the mend and wishing you all the best with it going forward...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Helpful

alfpics

Link Posted 20/07/2019 - 22:29
Glad its not the serious one; hope things settle quickly for you. As above - pretty scary.
Andy

Helpful

derek897

Link Posted 21/07/2019 - 08:47
alfpics wrote:
Glad its not the serious one; hope things settle quickly for you. As above - pretty scary.

Scary thought indeed,
Something we all tend to take for granted.
Fingers crossed that all ends well.
I know what i like, If not always why.

walkeja

Link Posted 21/07/2019 - 15:34
I am diabetic (Type 2) and at the moment I am suffering with diabetes Dilopia (double vision).
This is a very dibilitating condition as you cannot do anything properly. I also spent a night in hospital because my doctors surgery thought I had had a stroke.
Just got to wait for it to clear itself which can take anything from 2 weeks to 3 months.
Such is life.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

Helpful

pschlute

Link Posted 21/07/2019 - 17:44
walkeja wrote:
I am diabetic (Type 2) and at the moment I am suffering with diabetes Dilopia (double vision).
This is a very dibilitating condition as you cannot do anything properly. I also spent a night in hospital because my doctors surgery thought I had had a stroke.
Just got to wait for it to clear itself which can take anything from 2 weeks to 3 months.
Such is life.

Gosh that is tough. Good luck to you.

if only one person, having read this thread acts quickly in the future and saves their sight, it will have been worth it.
Peter

My Flickr page

theonenadeem

Link Posted 21/07/2019 - 22:16
At Pschlute

Thanks for sharing this and I hope your health improves.

Regards

Helpful

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/07/2019 - 21:20
Glad you acted so promptly Peter - and I hope thing improve over the next few weeks!

A colleague had a similar experience while on holiday on Skye - the whole episode sounded horrendous and has made me make a mental note to not ignore or put off any eyesight issues.

all the best
LennyBloke

Helpful

crghsam

Link Posted 23/07/2019 - 19:29
My optician thouhgt I had PVD a couple years ago as the focus in my left eye detirioated suddenly. It turned out I had a cataract which has since been operated on. The plus for me is I no longer need glasses as they correct your vision with the new lens they insert
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.