Oulton Park - BTCC
Posted 04/06/2014 - 15:18
Link
Hi George
There used to be a clear view of Lodge Corner from the outside of Deer Leap, but a debris fence appeared over the winter and you now need a small set of steps to get a shot over the top. It's a bit of a cliché, but still counts as Oulton's signature photo.
There's a nice pan shot to be had from the inside of Druids, from where it's a short walk to the footbridge that takes you across the track at Clay Hill, and then down to the outside of Knickerbrook. It's worth walking all the way along the outside from Knickerbrook to Britten's, a slowish chicane with no fencing between cars and audience. The BTCC hasn't appeared on the full version of Oulton for several years, but cars are bound to use a significant chunk of kerb here. Before you get to the chicane, there should be quite a nice shot as they come over the crest at Hill Top - not a great spot to watch racing, per se (although you'll be able to see Cascades in the distance).
There are no fences to the outside of Cascades, but I'm not sure it'll be particularly good for creative snaps. It's quite good for general views, though, allowing you to see both Cascades and the Knickerbrook chicane.
More than 40,000 turned up for last season's BTCC race at Oulton - and tickets were selling even more quickly this time around, so it's likely to be rammed. It might be worth approaching through Little Budworth village and taking the first entry gate, near Lodge Corner. That will mean lots of walking for the balance of the day (there is now a footbridge over the pit straight, reinstated a couple of years ago), but shorter exit queues because there's space for far fewer cars on this side.
I won't be there, unfortunately, because there's simply too much other stuff going on and I can't be in several; counties at once: I'll probably do the Vintage & Sports Car Club event at Cadwell Park on Saturday, then the American SpeedfFest at Brands Hatch on Sunday...
There used to be a clear view of Lodge Corner from the outside of Deer Leap, but a debris fence appeared over the winter and you now need a small set of steps to get a shot over the top. It's a bit of a cliché, but still counts as Oulton's signature photo.
There's a nice pan shot to be had from the inside of Druids, from where it's a short walk to the footbridge that takes you across the track at Clay Hill, and then down to the outside of Knickerbrook. It's worth walking all the way along the outside from Knickerbrook to Britten's, a slowish chicane with no fencing between cars and audience. The BTCC hasn't appeared on the full version of Oulton for several years, but cars are bound to use a significant chunk of kerb here. Before you get to the chicane, there should be quite a nice shot as they come over the crest at Hill Top - not a great spot to watch racing, per se (although you'll be able to see Cascades in the distance).
There are no fences to the outside of Cascades, but I'm not sure it'll be particularly good for creative snaps. It's quite good for general views, though, allowing you to see both Cascades and the Knickerbrook chicane.
More than 40,000 turned up for last season's BTCC race at Oulton - and tickets were selling even more quickly this time around, so it's likely to be rammed. It might be worth approaching through Little Budworth village and taking the first entry gate, near Lodge Corner. That will mean lots of walking for the balance of the day (there is now a footbridge over the pit straight, reinstated a couple of years ago), but shorter exit queues because there's space for far fewer cars on this side.
I won't be there, unfortunately, because there's simply too much other stuff going on and I can't be in several; counties at once: I'll probably do the Vintage & Sports Car Club event at Cadwell Park on Saturday, then the American SpeedfFest at Brands Hatch on Sunday...
Posted 05/06/2014 - 07:38
Link
Hi George
I'll be working there this weekend, so might be able to get you on the grid again
From the timetable it looks as if I'll be busy whenever the historics are out, which is a real shame - they add variety to the usual line up.
I'll be working there this weekend, so might be able to get you on the grid again
From the timetable it looks as if I'll be busy whenever the historics are out, which is a real shame - they add variety to the usual line up.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 05/06/2014 - 10:59
Link
Thanks for your detailed tips Simon, some great pointers for me on Sunday. I may take the new 1.4 converter with me for a run out, I gave in and bought one as well ! Hopefully will catch up with you at some point in the future.
Cadwell Park looks interesting as not too far from Sheffield by the looks of it, I'll keep an eye on their events.
Mike - would be great to catch up again if possible, I'll drop you a pm.
Regards
George
Cadwell Park looks interesting as not too far from Sheffield by the looks of it, I'll keep an eye on their events.
Mike - would be great to catch up again if possible, I'll drop you a pm.
Regards
George
Posted 05/06/2014 - 11:09
Link
Good luck with the 1.4. On my Sigma 100-300 it seemed to slow AF a little too much to make it worthwhile using at a racetrack, so I'd be interested to hear how you get along.
Cadwell is very picturesque - and having a trackside tabard isn't much of an advantage at certain points, because the spectator areas are fairly close to the track. It's about 85 miles from Sheffield, via the M18/M180, which is probably the quickest option.
Enjoy Oulton, and I look forward to seeing the shots.
Cadwell is very picturesque - and having a trackside tabard isn't much of an advantage at certain points, because the spectator areas are fairly close to the track. It's about 85 miles from Sheffield, via the M18/M180, which is probably the quickest option.
Enjoy Oulton, and I look forward to seeing the shots.
Posted 05/06/2014 - 12:48
Link
I live fairly close to Cadwell. It may be of interest to know that on track/testing days you can get in for free. So, on Friday, 6 June, it's "practice day" for the Vintage Sports Car Festival on Saturday. Cars go just as fast, just not racing. Restaurant is open and you can get near the cars and access all areas. I guess Oulton and other circuits operate the same way. Oh, by the way, my Bigma is still for sale - ideal for motorsport!
Posted 10/06/2014 - 18:16
Link
Nice meeting up again George!
Hope you managed to make good use of Simon's pointers and that you got off in time to relieve the grandparents.
Look forward to seeing some of your shots of deer leap from the track
Mike
Hope you managed to make good use of Simon's pointers and that you got off in time to relieve the grandparents.
Look forward to seeing some of your shots of deer leap from the track
Mike
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 11/06/2014 - 08:08
Link
Nice to meet you again Mike, we got out of the Oulton Park really quickly,
lucky with the car parking I think. Got back to Sheffield for 7.45pm.
Thanks again for your help on the day.
Only just started going through the photo's. Hope to get some posted
at the weekend as very busy at the moment.
Regards
George
lucky with the car parking I think. Got back to Sheffield for 7.45pm.
Thanks again for your help on the day.
Only just started going through the photo's. Hope to get some posted
at the weekend as very busy at the moment.
Regards
George
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


845 posts
16 years
Sheffield
Never been to Oulton Park before, Although I'll have my camera I anticipate I'll be watching the racing more than taking photo's.
Anyone been and got any tips for spots to watch it from and/or take pictures.
I believe it will be busy on the day so would aim to get there for the pit walk and then to watch the racing. Thoughts so far were on the inside at Cascade/Dentons or Knickerbrook.
Any thoughts ? (anyone else going ?)
Regards
George