Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

OptioS1

Frogherder
Posted 26/04/2012 - 00:18 Link
Hi,

Sometime back I asked about shutter lag on my wifes Olympus compact, which is decidedly slow. In fact our 3 year old grand daughter has started to play the same games as my son, ie wait until the shutter fires then move out of shot -- result no one there but a grinning little girl, out of shot.

It's now got to the stage where we've decided to change it so...

How does the Optio S1 perform in that respect.

regards
Bernard
johnriley
Posted 26/04/2012 - 00:26 Link
Shutter lag is a common problem with compact cameras, but they are getting better. Turning off pixel-tracking SR systems will help speed them up.
Best regards, John
Frogherder
Posted 26/04/2012 - 10:18 Link
Sorry John I'm lost - "pixel-tracking SR systems" - I'm not sure that this function is available to her. The only option with regards to pixel mapping, from the user maual is :-

The pixel mapping feature allows the camera to check and adjust the CCD and image processing functions. It is not necessary to operate this function frequently. Approximately once a year is recommended. Wait at least one minute after taking or viewing pictures to allow the pixel mapping function to perform properly. If you turn the camera off during pixel mapping, start again.
Select [PIXEL MAPPING] and when [START] is displayed, press on.

unquote

I'm unable to find a specification for the shutter lag time, either for this camera or the S1, hence the query.

regards
Bernard
gartmore
Posted 26/04/2012 - 10:46 - Helpful Comment Link
I have a much older Optio, the s50, and found that keeping the shutter button half pressed greatly reduces lag. Might be worth a try.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Frogherder
Posted 26/04/2012 - 10:53 Link
Thanks Ken, I'll suggest this to her.

I was also thinking that, as her birthday is coming up, if the S1 didn't have the same lag as the Olympus X785 then this would be a good oportunity to change

regards
Bernard
johnriley
Posted 26/04/2012 - 12:03 Link
Pixel tracking SR is where the camera analyses movement in the pixels and corrects it in software, as opposed to moving the sensor to compensate for camera shake.

Most recent Pentax compacts either have this function, or they have proper sensor-shift SR. The latter is better and certainly faster. The former does slow the camera down quite a bit.
Best regards, John
Frogherder
Posted 26/04/2012 - 12:16 Link
So I guess the Olympus, from what you say above, probably has PTSR via software. - There certainly doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off

Do you know what the S1 has (I suspect from it's size it might also be similar)?

regards
Bernard
Edited by Frogherder: 26/04/2012 - 12:17
johnriley
Posted 26/04/2012 - 12:36 - Helpful Comment Link
It seems the S1 has sensoe-shift SR:

http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/digital-compact/optio-S1
Best regards, John
Frogherder
Posted 26/04/2012 - 12:40 Link
Thanks John,

I think that's sorted then. I guess there's no need to ask if you'd recomend it for a "handbag" camera.

regards
Bernard
johnriley
Posted 26/04/2012 - 12:40 Link
Incidentally, the shutter lag is measured in the EPZ tests, or at least the more rescent ones. Unfortunately not in the case of the S1, but here's a link to the test:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-optio-s1-digital-compact-camera-review-...
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.