Optio W80 Anyone own one?

cedricd

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 19:23
As a recent convert to the world of Kayaks I am wondering has anyone bought one of these yet and what do you think of the results? I can`t bring myself to take either my K10d or K20D on the water but would like a waterproof camera to take in my Kayak. Have taken a few pix with my ancient 3.2 mpixel Olympus C350 this being a rather sacrificial camera.

Cedric
Enjoy life

smc

Link Posted 07/10/2009 - 22:02
The W60 has the edge in picture quality apparently. Someone should chime in with a comment soon.

Darkmunk

Link Posted 07/10/2009 - 22:17
Are you referring to me SMC? I've been quite vocal about this in the past.
That's interesting about the picture quality of the two.
The W60 is OK (not great) but is very useful when things get wet.
Chris at Clearwater paddling has the W60 also and his site is full of beautiful pictures taken with that and his earlier Optio.
He finds that the waterproofing is fine until you get water on the lens - then the picture if compromised just like any other camera, possibly more so with such a small lens.
I find that action shots (my preference) are so difficult with the slow response times that it is almost unusable and I find myself using the K10 and hoping I don't fall over, or overboard!
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

cedricd

Link Posted 08/10/2009 - 18:32
Well I bit the bullet and bought a W80. Struck a deal with a camera shop in York. I`m not looking for the quality of a K10 or 20 `cos thats unrealistic but so far as I can see at the moment the results are ok. I will post a pic in a while.

Cedric
Enjoy life

cedricd

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 20:53
Tried the W80 and yes the picture quality is no great shakes. Bit dissapointed but for a couple of hundred quid I didn`t expect too much. It will serve the purpose and when I am brave enough will take the K10 out on the water. thanks for your input, if you want high quality dont buy a W80.

Cedric
Enjoy life
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.