Optio s50 screen damaged ??
Posted 09/11/2008 - 18:28
Link
Pete,
I am not 100% sure (so please check ) but I think the black liquid is poisonous so be carefull, someone on here might know abit more on it.
I am not 100% sure (so please check ) but I think the black liquid is poisonous so be carefull, someone on here might know abit more on it.
Tel,
Posted 10/11/2008 - 01:42
Link
I replace several broken LCD's in mobile phones every week, over several years must be well over 1,000 of 'em. Never ever have I seen any liquid come out of a broken one, and I would never ever worry about it.
Sounds like the blotch you have is a pressure point which has damaged it slightly, which will obviously have no detriment on the quality of the photos, given it's age, the advice would be leave it as it is until it totally goes, then replace it with a new camera. Going on my experience with mobile phones, it just wouldn't be cost effective to get someone to do it for you.
Sounds like the blotch you have is a pressure point which has damaged it slightly, which will obviously have no detriment on the quality of the photos, given it's age, the advice would be leave it as it is until it totally goes, then replace it with a new camera. Going on my experience with mobile phones, it just wouldn't be cost effective to get someone to do it for you.
Posted 10/11/2008 - 07:13
Link
The black blotch is almost certainly an area of dead pixels. It probably isn't worth having it repaired. Replacement screens are around £40 and add to that the cost of labour. I've repaired two Optios in the past and in both cases bought broken cameras on eBay for pennies for their parts. It is just a case of opening the camera, carefully removing the screens miniscule ribbon cable and the red and black power cables. Lift the screen out but take care where you put your fingers as you can get a surprisingly bad electric shock from the flash capacitor.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 01/12/2008 - 10:36
Link
PeteofEbor wrote:
I've had my Optio S50 for about 3 and a half years now and generally been very impressed with it however it's recently got a small black blotch on the screen, although all aspects of the camrea still work perfectly - apart from the blotch on the screen. Photos & videos uploaded to my PC are still perfect. Reading this forum, I assume I must have somehow cracked the screen and 'something' has leaked out. Given that this is the case and the screen has a (tiny) crack in it ...
a) will it ever get better i.e will what's leaked out ever dry up - I assume not, but I might be wrong..
b) will it get worse - it does not appear to be getting any worse at present but might it get worse in the future ?
c) is it repairable - I assume it's probably one of those times when it will cost more to repair than it's worth..
d) Is it time to get a new camera ?
Hi Pete,I've had my Optio S50 for about 3 and a half years now and generally been very impressed with it however it's recently got a small black blotch on the screen, although all aspects of the camrea still work perfectly - apart from the blotch on the screen. Photos & videos uploaded to my PC are still perfect. Reading this forum, I assume I must have somehow cracked the screen and 'something' has leaked out. Given that this is the case and the screen has a (tiny) crack in it ...
a) will it ever get better i.e will what's leaked out ever dry up - I assume not, but I might be wrong..
b) will it get worse - it does not appear to be getting any worse at present but might it get worse in the future ?
c) is it repairable - I assume it's probably one of those times when it will cost more to repair than it's worth..
d) Is it time to get a new camera ?
The LCD screen is one of the dearest parts of your camera, I also have an S50, and like my K20D have a protective foil screen fitted to both cameras.
My best advice is to get a price for replacement LCD Screen from Pentax, It could be an uneconomical repair, and if so you will probably replace your camera, but beware,a lot of the new cameras do not have a viewfinder, and will not take the CR-V3 battery(see my post),
Check before you buy!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6 posts
17 years
a) will it ever get better i.e will what's leaked out ever dry up - I assume not, but I might be wrong..
b) will it get worse - it does not appear to be getting any worse at present but might it get worse in the future ?
c) is it repairable - I assume it's probably one of those times when it will cost more to repair than it's worth..
d) Is it time to get a new camera ?