Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Oops - HDR mode and action

Posted 26/07/2021 - 22:53 Link
P'Raps I should claim that I am being creative, BUT I'm not!
I took some photos of the childen digging at the beach today and in the background there was a dog running at speed.
Looks interesting and could, potentially, be the start of a creative, experimental journey for some of you?????

K-S2, 55-300 PLM lens, 1/320th at f11

Comment Image
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
davidwozhere
Posted 27/07/2021 - 00:02 Link
Is it failing to clear the previous shot completely in some way? A sensor ghost?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Posted 27/07/2021 - 09:25 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
Is it failing to clear the previous shot completely in some way? A sensor ghost?

"When you shoot in HDR mode, the camera captures several pictures in quick succesion, each having a different exposure value. The software then combines these images into a single photo, which provides sharper details from both the darkest and the brightest areas.
This way you get accurate pictures of what your eyes see or even amazing artistic photos, which transform reality in high-definiton landscapes."

So, my lesson for today is to reset controls and DON'T use HDR mode when doing action shots
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
pschlute
Posted 27/07/2021 - 11:21 - Helpful Comment Link
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:

"When you shoot in HDR mode, the camera captures several pictures in quick succesion, each having a different exposure value. The software then combines these images into a single photo, which provides sharper details from both the darkest and the brightest areas.

The HDR mode increases the dynamic range of your final image. It doesn't do anything for sharpness in the shadows/highlights. In fact where there is movement like wind blowing branches on a tree (or a dog photo- bombing you ), you can end up with a softer image.

I find I use HDR a lot these days, It saves having to use graduated filters. But only works for static subjects. I don't use the HDR mode in camera, but bracket my exposures and combine them in software.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.