On the hunt for 500mm
Posted 14/09/2008 - 17:57
Link
Not really.. sadly.
Pentax made the FA* 600mm, very expensive though.
Sigma make the 150-500, 50-500, and 500 prime. But I think only the 50-500 is in pentax mount.
Tamron do make a 200-500 but im pretty sure they dont make it in pentax mount.
A 500mm lens is a pretty expensive lens.. what price range were you thinking? And are you considering crop factor? A 300 lens is 450mm on digital. A 400mm would suit fine.
Pentax made the FA* 400mm, Sigma make 80-400, 120-400 and 135-400, but again I don't know if they make them in pentax mount.
Pentax made the FA* 600mm, very expensive though.
Sigma make the 150-500, 50-500, and 500 prime. But I think only the 50-500 is in pentax mount.
Tamron do make a 200-500 but im pretty sure they dont make it in pentax mount.
A 500mm lens is a pretty expensive lens.. what price range were you thinking? And are you considering crop factor? A 300 lens is 450mm on digital. A 400mm would suit fine.
Pentax made the FA* 400mm, Sigma make 80-400, 120-400 and 135-400, but again I don't know if they make them in pentax mount.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
Posted 15/09/2008 - 01:27
Link
I have a Bigma which I recommend and also the DA*300mm which can be used with a good quality teleconverter for more reach.
But if you want to take out a second mortgage you can get one of these puppies link
Chirpy does have this lens and if you run a search you will find some pics he has posted.
But if you want to take out a second mortgage you can get one of these puppies link
Chirpy does have this lens and if you run a search you will find some pics he has posted.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 15/09/2008 - 01:32
Link
weird, sure the sigma website said that wasn't pentax mount
and i thought chirpy had one (:
and i thought chirpy had one (:
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
Posted 15/09/2008 - 09:41
Link
I have a Russian MTO 500mm mirror lens I got from a camera dealers in the 1970's called'Brocks'(gone broke now!)and used it for cricket on my screw Spotmatic,S3 and ES cameras. It was £69 I remember.I still have it in its wooden box in my darkroom,complete with a selection of filters which fit my 400mm f4.5 Pentax-A lens.
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Posted 15/09/2008 - 10:43
Link
I use a Tamron 500mm which is arguably the best mirror lens going. I'll upload a shot in the gallery to show the quality. It's here...Sheep taken with Tamron 500mm Mirror lens
Posted 15/09/2008 - 11:20
Link
Like Peter, I also have a Russian 500mm Mirror lens. Amazingly sharp with terrible bokeh.
Built like the proverbial tank for M42 screw mount.
I use it for photographing loons on our lake. I shoot from a kayak, and one day will wind up under water - this thing is HEAVY
I've used it with 2x extenders, but the DOF is paper thin and begs a tripod, cable release and a flat subject that stays put.
Unfortunatelty, my lens barrel is too large in diameter to mount on my K110D - runs into the pop-up flash overhang. Thus back to needing the 2x converter and really limiting the use of the lens.
Built like the proverbial tank for M42 screw mount.
I use it for photographing loons on our lake. I shoot from a kayak, and one day will wind up under water - this thing is HEAVY
I've used it with 2x extenders, but the DOF is paper thin and begs a tripod, cable release and a flat subject that stays put.
Unfortunatelty, my lens barrel is too large in diameter to mount on my K110D - runs into the pop-up flash overhang. Thus back to needing the 2x converter and really limiting the use of the lens.
Mac from Montreal
SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
Posted 15/09/2008 - 14:24
Link
Mac wrote:
Unfortunatelty, my lens barrel is too large in diameter to mount on my K110D - runs into the pop-up flash overhang. Thus back to needing the 2x converter and really limiting the use of the lens.
Mac,Unfortunatelty, my lens barrel is too large in diameter to mount on my K110D - runs into the pop-up flash overhang. Thus back to needing the 2x converter and really limiting the use of the lens.
have you tried using an extension tube? Depending on which of the Russian lenses you have, you may still be able to get infinity focus. Works on my Rubinar.
Steve
Posted 15/09/2008 - 14:46
Link
Mac....."I use it for photographing loons on our lake. " that is no way to talk about your neighbours.
When you gonna post a few for us to look at?
When you gonna post a few for us to look at?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 15/09/2008 - 15:39
Link
Mac wrote:
I use it for photographing loons on our lake. I shoot from a kayak, and one day will wind up under water - this thing is HEAVY
Pity they aren't Loonies - that would help with the LBA no end if you could catch a few of them
I use it for photographing loons on our lake. I shoot from a kayak, and one day will wind up under water - this thing is HEAVY
Posted 15/09/2008 - 15:42
Link
lol @ Gwyn
(look in the fountians, at the mall)
(look in the fountians, at the mall)
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 15/09/2008 - 18:04
Link
Thanks very much folk !....I might look at the mirror lens option!...if not, it will have to be the Sigma 50/500......and thanks for the sheep shot Peter..it's pretty good!....the highlights look like fairy rings!......lol........thanks again for all your help........Ken
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Posted 15/09/2008 - 18:06
Link
Peter Bargh wrote:
I use a Tamron 500mm which is arguably the best mirror lens going. I'll upload a shot in the gallery to show the quality. It's here...Sheep taken with Tamron 500mm Mirror lens
I absolutely second that link
I use a Tamron 500mm which is arguably the best mirror lens going. I'll upload a shot in the gallery to show the quality. It's here...Sheep taken with Tamron 500mm Mirror lens
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 24/10/2008 - 11:01
Link
Unlocker wrote:
Think Chirpy on here has the Sigma 500mm, not cheap though! About £3k?
I do have the lens and it continues to be a stunner. Haven't had much chance to get out with it this year (been concentrating on Macro stuff since spring) but hope to get out more now that autumn/winter is here.Think Chirpy on here has the Sigma 500mm, not cheap though! About £3k?
It was considerably less that £3k when the dollar was at its weakest, but it's climbing back up again.
Regarding the bigma - I had that too, but was disappointed with the long end for consistent sharpness and AF with it's relatively slow aperture at 500mm (bearing in mind the UK weather).
One of my favourites with the 500mm:

Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1252 posts
20 years
Gunnerton