Old Churches.
Posted 05/04/2015 - 01:27
Link
The Pre-Raphaelite one of the crucifiction is a stunner but I can't work out the symbolism of the sun and the (obscured) moon. Unfortunately, I can't read the text either!
Posted 05/04/2015 - 06:15
Link
Beautifully photographed. I know it's heresy, but I'm secretly quite fond of Victorian stained glass.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 05/04/2015 - 07:48
Link
I love the exuberance, the sentimentality, and the whimsicality of Victorian art, which the work of the Pre-Raphaelites symbolises.
There's a splendid exhibition of exported Pre-Raphelite paintings at the moment at Leighton House (itself a monument to its age), but it unfortunately finishes tomorrow. For those who live in or near London (and share the passion) you've just got time.
G
There's a splendid exhibition of exported Pre-Raphelite paintings at the moment at Leighton House (itself a monument to its age), but it unfortunately finishes tomorrow. For those who live in or near London (and share the passion) you've just got time.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 05/04/2015 - 08:23
Link
Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I too love stained glass windows and wish I could do them justice in photographs, I'm told the symbolism of the sun - obscured sun is: At at the crucifiction it was normal daylight at the beginning then at1500hrs the sky went dark (an eclipse?). Not sure what the upper text says but the lower seems to be some sort of dedication to whoever purchased the window for the church.
Posted 05/04/2015 - 08:34
Link
Nicely photographed Tyronet - Stained glass can be a good subject for "proper" HDR - i.e blending of 3 or 5 bracketed exposures.
Everything Changes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Posted 05/04/2015 - 09:08
Link
Quote:
I love the exuberance, the sentimentality, and the whimsicality of Victorian art, which the work of the Pre-Raphaelites symbolises
Yes, totally agree. Manchester Art Gallery also has a magnificent collection on display.
I love the exuberance, the sentimentality, and the whimsicality of Victorian art, which the work of the Pre-Raphaelites symbolises
Best regards, John
Posted 05/04/2015 - 09:25
Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
Thanks for the kind comment Steven. These were taken hand held using a high ISO as I wasn't sure if photography was even allowed in this place. There are some other features which called out for hdr so next time...
Do you need HDR? I thought these were more than fine. HDR is so often done badly.Thanks for the kind comment Steven. These were taken hand held using a high ISO as I wasn't sure if photography was even allowed in this place. There are some other features which called out for hdr so next time...
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 05/04/2015 - 11:29
Link
well shot, Stan. i am doing village church interiors as a project 52 so i know it is not easy sometimes but it is amazing what you find in them. with reference to the pre raphaelites the first ecclesiastical commission for the William Morris factory were the windows at All Saints Church, Selsley near Stroud .
Posted 05/04/2015 - 15:44
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
G
I wasn't suggesting that these photographs are not fine; Tyronet further posted that he feared he was not able to do stained glass windows justice. and I merely suggested that well done HDR can be a useful tool to help render stained glass in context. I agree HDR is often done badly, but I have eaten many badly-cooked meals (some by prepared by my own hand!) but have no desire to abandon cooking
tyronet2000 wrote:
Thanks for the kind comment Steven. These were taken hand held using a high ISO as I wasn't sure if photography was even allowed in this place. There are some other features which called out for hdr so next time...
Do you need HDR? I thought these were more than fine. HDR is so often done badly.Thanks for the kind comment Steven. These were taken hand held using a high ISO as I wasn't sure if photography was even allowed in this place. There are some other features which called out for hdr so next time...
G
Everything Changes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Posted 05/04/2015 - 20:34
Link
Fire extinguishers aside, I like the creamy soft lighting effect and tonal balance you've created on your HDR one there
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 06/04/2015 - 01:01
Link
Getting back to the Victorian stained glass, the Edwardians went one better with dedications and would include a photographed head on a traditional stained glass body. I will go and get an example tomorrow as I know where there is one locally.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




4862 posts
15 years
Northumberland
Stan
PPG