Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Old camera new lens - which will fit

Gordon Holmes
Posted 28/07/2002 - 16:42 Link
I have a Pentax MZ7 with the Standard Pentax 28-80 zoom,which was bought with this camera,will this lens work on a old P30 i don,t mind the manual focus,but will it work in Aperture priorty and manual on the P30,i have heard that the contacts on these new lens do not match up and may jam,and render it useless when put back on the MZ7, any help gratfully recieved
Gordon ???
johnriley
Posted 28/07/2002 - 22:36 Link
One of the terrific things about the Pentax system is that all lenses will work on all bodies, within the limits of the body used. So, the latest lenses are quite happy on the P30 but will only work in manual focus, aperture priority and manual (also program mode on the P30T). You can even use all the bayonet lenses on the Spotmatic cameras with the K-mount adapter.
I am very pleased that I have stuck with Pentax cameras since around 1970, and have amassed a large selection of lenses of all vintages at very low prices. The quality is also superb.
Best regards, John
Stephen
Posted 30/07/2002 - 07:46 Link
Gordon,

I can confirm what John has said about the compatability and quality, and maybe go one step further to ease any concerns you may still have. I have used the FA28-80 in manaual focus mode on both a P30 and LX with no problems, even when replacing the lens on an MZ5n to use in autofocus mode.

Best wishes
Stephen
derek_w
Posted 24/08/2002 - 21:40 Link
Quote:
One of the terrific things about the Pentax system is that all lenses will work on all bodies, within the limits of the body used. So, the latest lenses are quite happy on the P30 but will only work in manual focus, aperture priority and manual (also program mode on the P30T). You can even use all the bayonet lenses on the Spotmatic cameras with the K-mount adapter.
I am very pleased that I have stuck with Pentax cameras since around 1970, and have amassed a large selection of lenses of all vintages at very low prices. The quality is also superb.

Are you quite sure.....??
Screw lenses on bayonet bodies, yes.
johnriley
Posted 25/08/2002 - 20:02 Link
I wrote that sentence the wrong way round, didn't I? Thank you for pointing it out - you are quite right, you can fit screw mount lenses to the bayonet camera bodies, but not the way round I said.
Best regards, John
Pete Bargh
Posted 27/08/2002 - 09:24 Link
John, SRB in Luton will probably make, or be able to make, an adaptor to fit bayonet lenses on to a screw thread body (that get's you off the hook for being wrong) the problem is the adaptor would act like a small extension tube and would mean the lens would no longer be able to focus on infinity.
Publisher
Magezine Publishing Ltd
johnriley
Posted 27/08/2002 - 22:50 Link
Thanks for that, Pete, I can't be right all the time (My wife Sue says some of the time would help...).
People do go to extraordinary lenghts making adapters, but I don't think I'd bother with this one! Second hand bayonet bodies are so inexpensive it would probably be cheaper to buy one rather than a special adapter...
On a completely different subject, does anyone know what became of my all time favourite Photo magazine writer, Kevin MacDonnell?
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.