Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

OK, I'll ask.

K10D
Posted 29/12/2010 - 17:23 Link
Well 2010 is nearly over.

I, like others, have lost friends and relatives.

My travelling has increased.

Have those events influenced my photography?

Were you happy with your photography throughout 2010?

Have you a goal for 2011 WRT photography?

Are you bothered?

Is self discipline missing? Is it needed?

Have you a project under consideration?

Have the new duo of Pentax bodies opened a means to produce images that you previously thought were too difficult or beyond capture?

2011? What will it bring?

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
SmutjeUK
Posted 29/12/2010 - 17:28 Link
I would just love to go back to Afghanistan no matter what. It is one of the most fascinating countries I ever have been.
Fat chance on that one now with my disability.
Honest, I would like to have a week or two with a fellow photographer around the Highland's (you always work in twos if there may be danger ahead) and I know my wife would like to do a cruise of the Norwegian Fjords.
That's good enough for me for 2011.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Gwyn
Posted 29/12/2010 - 18:25 Link
2010- lost friends too, but all my remaining family made it through.
My travelling actually decreased.
I was not happy with my photography most of the year - various niggles with the K20d, then what seemed like a long time without a camera before getting the K-5, and losing it again.
Inspiration was definitely lacking.

My aim is to take more photographs and work on my technique. I don't know if I'll manage it or not. Hopefully the K-5 will provide challenges and I will find inspiration.

I'd love to go back to Africa, but can't see it happening. Hopefully a long distance trip to maybe the US or Canada will happen.

I'm still hoping and planning on the PU Scottish meet which should be good fun.

I'm contemplating a couple of photography courses, one in Holland, one in France, but unless my husband or someone else will go too they will be too expensive - the single supplement is horrific.

I am hoping to feel fitter, mentally and physically, in 2011 so I can do all the above.
techno-terminator
Posted 29/12/2010 - 18:35 Link
These last few months have really been problematical for me - Life has been really tough and I've been unable to get out much .

My confidence has vanished - the K-x is sitting there with its new 35mm lens on ready for use - but I lack the will power to go out and use it .

Hopefully once better weather is here I'll put it in the bag and once again get out and enjoy myself.

My aim is to wander round Glasgow again and take views of the City that few see - the skyline and the glorious architecture - then hopefully a few trips abroad [ though after the dosh that has had to be spent I dunno where the money will come from ], but I need to learn to live again
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Gwyn
Posted 29/12/2010 - 18:47 Link
Hey TT - I hope our Glasgow meeting goes ahead - I'm looking forward to seeing Glasgow! Just make sure the few sunny days you get are while I'm there .
SmutjeUK
Posted 29/12/2010 - 18:49 Link
TT - Believe me when I say I know the feeling.
Please, don't give up.!
Yes I also have lost many good friend in 2010 (maybe the reason why I want to go back to A. ? but I rather keep the memory than talking about it.
I had many nights where I could not sleep and got out at 3am with the camera locally to get away from the ghost's of the past.
Many no keepers but it got me going again.
Do whatever you feel like and critique yourself before posting anything. Glasgow is great but I prefer Kilmory (a long lost love of mine is still there and an invitation still stands :blush.
You got the one of the best and picturesque areas at your door.
Take your camera and just get out (once the snow is melted) you will see anything seems just minute if you are alone with a camera in the Highlands or one of the Fjords.
In a way I envy you that you are there and I am stuck in the south.
Oh well.... one day, Durness, and Cornwall for me next year and if I can get anywhere else, I am on my bike
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
feeb
Posted 29/12/2010 - 18:51 Link
i have had a baby, having a huge effect on my photographic life as my career is on hold for the forseeable future

i have also decided to end my fling with Nikon and move back to Pentax, because its a more viable option with a young one.

In 2011 i aim to take more photos (i was pitifully bad at this in 2010) take loads of photos of my son and husband and explore another country (Bali) in February
Dont complain about the darkness, Light a candle......
Mike-P
Posted 29/12/2010 - 19:13 Link
I would love to move back to Spain next year. Since returning to the UK 18 months ago I have really struggled to find anything interesting enough (for me anyway) to photograph.

I miss all the fiestas, weird bugs and different birds.

Sadly it won't be for another couple of years at least.
Edited by Mike-P: 29/12/2010 - 19:13
Fletcher8
Posted 29/12/2010 - 19:13 Link
2010- I was lucky as i lost no friends.
Did a lot of traveling in 2010 and wish I could go back with the K5, although some of the Landscapes just needed better lighting conditions and I guess the weather is just down to luck when you are moving on from one place to another due to limited time. However 2010 has also been a good year in terms of improving my photography.

2011 continue to work on my technique to improve my (Landscapes) and develop some new areas (macro) together with further developing my off camera flash skills and techniques

Get up to Scotland in April
In the Summer explore some other parts of Germany that Fran and I have not seen.

In the Winter If I am still working and have enough money, go back to the USA in December and explore some national parks whilst touring the less well known ski resorts.

Enjoy life, be positive and stay motivated!
Fletcher8.
K10D
Posted 29/12/2010 - 19:26 Link
feeb wrote:
In 2011 i aim to take more photos (i was pitifully bad at this in 2010) take loads of photos of my son and husband and explore another country (Bali) in February

Bali will be full of Australians.....wearing G strings (flip flops) and carrying stubbies (drinks). They have a wonderful view on life.

D700's were never meant for ladies, at least those not on hormone diets.

Glad your back feeb.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
hefty1
Posted 29/12/2010 - 19:31 Link
This year I resolved to carry a camera with me everywhere and kept to it for most of the year (a few minor hiccups aside). I managed to get some quite passable photos but, as always, I hope next year's will be better still. I intend keeping this up for 2011.

I also resolved to quit 35mm film altogether but failed by running a few rolls through the Spotmatic and one through the Rollei 35S (since sold). Next year I will try to do better - I've flogged all but the CZJ 135mm Sonnar for the Spotmatic so it's not particularly user friendly right now, therefore not as tempting. I've still got a few other 35mm film cameras but none I really want to use - they may or may not trickle onto eBay over the year.

Finally, I resolved to use much more 120 film in 2010 and did so in style (6 in 2009, 50+ in 2010)! This year I intend to use around the same amount but not neccessarily in the same cameras as last year. I just love the look of medium format and a 645D is still out of my price range, so it's not on my shopping list for 2011. We'll see what the Lottery numbers bring...

What will I take photos of? Pretty much anything that's placed in front of me - some things never change.
Joining the Q
techno-terminator
Posted 29/12/2010 - 21:01 Link
Gwyn wrote:
Hey TT - I hope our Glasgow meeting goes ahead - I'm looking forward to seeing Glasgow! Just make sure the few sunny days you get are while I'm there .

I'll do what I can about that Gwyn - believe me I will
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Smeggypants
Posted 29/12/2010 - 21:09 Link
K10D wrote:
Well 2010 is nearly over.

I, like others, have lost friends and relatives.

My travelling has increased.

Have those events influenced my photography?

Were you happy with your photography throughout 2010?

Most of it yes. 2010 was a big photography year for me. after a hiatus of nearly 20 years I finally got back into it in late 2009

Quote:

Have you a goal for 2011 WRT photography?

Yes, to try and travel more. I really need to get back to Dubai/Abu Dhabi and snap like crazy. Unlikely that will be in 2011 and soon after will be the Western attack on Iran, so I might have to steer clear of the region for a while.

Quote:

Are you bothered?

Is self discipline missing? Is it needed?

Have you a project under consideration?

My next photography project is to build a suitable bracket to hold the camera inside the car to enable drive by shooting and keeping both hands on the wheel. -I've bough a manfrotto monopod and head which I'm goign to modify.

Quote:

Have the new duo of Pentax bodies opened a means to produce images that you previously thought were too difficult or beyond capture?

Absolutely!!! The high ISO performance of the K-5 is well suited to my live of street light urban shooting ( both drive by and otherwise ) - I need sensitivities of at least 6400. Something that is well noisy on my K20D

Quote:

2011? What will it bring?

A K-5
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Unlocker
Posted 29/12/2010 - 21:10 Link
This year hasn't really seen much happen photography wise, other than reducing my (our) kit! The FA Limiteds have all been sold off, due to not being used and unfortunately the money was needed elsewhere.

Then, right at the end of the year, the bombshell happened that could change everything, managing to secure an F* 250-600mm. Since getting hold of this, I've had nothing but headaches going over all the possibilities that 2011 and the future can bring! There are many ideas floating around, lofty goals maybe, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

The kit is going through a cull now, maybe rationalisation would be a better word! All 'spare' bodies up for sale (keeping the 2x K-7s we share) and a lot of lenses, where overlaps occur, are being sold off to fund the new lens (heck, even the 50-135 might get the bullet!). The complete tripod kit we have will be sold off entirely to help fund a new rock solid Gitzo for the new lens, old computers, consoles, any unused gadget will also find themselves on eBay, sacrificing themselves for the cause!

Have decided to change the shop opening hours to give myself more flexibility, going from 6x 9hr days to 5x 8hr days, giving myself 'weekends' off (Sun-Mon) for the first time since going self employed in the last century! This will give me more time to get out with the new kit, taking on new projects etc. Planning to invest in a hide so I can sit in one place all day to get the shot, with the 1st ambitious target being a great Kingfisher shot!

So 2011, hopefully will be dominated by some wildlife photography, with an aim to get something special to sell and get published by the end of the year. It's amazing what one lens purchase can do to you!
bretti_kivi
Posted 29/12/2010 - 21:14 Link
Hmm.

Nearly 7000kms of summer trip was most of my travel for the year. Was much fun, too.

Happy? reasonably so. Got lots of interesting new bits, realised where I use my lenses and am now arguing with myself over how important I see video as and whether to invest in a K5 now or later.

2011's photography projects... A2 meets.. but the first one will probably be video, not stills. We'll see.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.