Offlining photos with Photoshop Elements

johnriley

Link Posted 08/08/2017 - 16:38
Quote:
If anyone has images backed up to CD, don't keep them there as home written CDs can go bad!

Absolutely right. In fact, some commercial CDs have been known to go bad as well.
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 08/08/2017 - 17:38
CD's won't hold much DVD's are better and as long as a decent writer and brand such as Taiyo Yuden's are used they should be OK. True archival DVD's are also available at a price.

Unfortunately DVD writers now about 14 each aren't the same quality as they were a few years ago.

I recently transferred about 200 DVD-RAMs and Taiyo Yuden DVD's from about 2005 - 2012 back to HDD and didn't have a problem with any of them.

Hard drives from the same period were in some cases unreadable.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 08/08/2017 - 17:40

McGregNi

Link Posted 08/08/2017 - 18:07
I use Nero Burning Rom software for DVD/Bluray backups .... This has verification built in and can check the integrity of all the copied files.

For my USB drives I recommend a small utility program from Microsoft, SyncToy .... This allows incremental backups using an 'echo' principle, where each backup creates an echo of all the changes made to the original (ie your computer Pictures folder) .... This saves time by only backing up the changes. But it still verifies the entire backup and confirms that everything is in order.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Algernon

Link Posted 08/08/2017 - 18:42
Be careful with BUP software. Windows changes your file times with BST and it causes huge problems with time syncs. Massive job changing the times back as well. I still have the excellent FileSync (discontinued) which will change the times back on either the target or source.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.