Now that's what I call a 'pro' camera

Dodge69

Link Posted 25/04/2015 - 11:02
Hi all, not logged in for awhile, but a comment on the 'K3II specs leaked online...' thread stirred my curiosity enough to stick the last JPEG from my K5 mk1 into my shuttercount.com

100259! How cool is that! All the paint is still on, no techy issues at all. I suppose I can call myself a professional (real estate/architecture) at this point, which makes the K5 a professional camera.

People love to focus on the negatives, so I guess its nice to point out some good stuff.

Also makes me chuckle when you look on ebay and see comments like 'selling due to upgrade - shutter count 2910'. Idiots with money to burn. Whats the point of owning a D800 or whatever and basically never using it?
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

Jetsam1

Link Posted 25/04/2015 - 11:17
That's impressive! Very well built cameras indeed. Never had a problem with mine though I did surprise myself at the shutter count since 2011 only being 4000 odd.......... Sure I'd taken more than that....???
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

stu62

Link Posted 26/04/2015 - 10:04
i think why people change cameras is all the hype
the emphasis seems to be that you need this and you need that
i know my k5 when i got it last year had about 6000 on the clock dont know how many know

McGregNi

Link Posted 26/04/2015 - 11:52
I personally don't agree with Steve Ledgers assertion that there's no such thing as a 'professional camera, only professional photographers'. It's semantics really. What he's saying is that the classification is determined by a specific user ... So for example, ' I'm a professional and I use a Pentax K500, therefore the k500 is a professional camera ' ....

Of course the statement is so obviously unlikely that the flaw in the argument is surely revealed. I accept that different types of photographer will choose a range of cameras for different purposes ...eg a professional might choose a K3 for their studio and landscape work, but enjoy the MX-1 for quick walkabout shots, some of which might still get used professionally. But of course the MX-1 image files will be significantly more limited in their scope for large high quality output (eg exhibition prints) than the files from the same photographers K3, so they would have to be conscious of that even choosing which camera to use each time.

When I think of categories of cameras such as pro, enthusiast and entry-level, I consider the nature of the features the designer has chosen to include. I find the nature of these features can reveal a lot of how the designer expected that camera to be used, and therefore the type of person they expect to use it.

For example, the lack of viewfinder focus points on the K500 suggests it was not expected to be used by someone who was very discerning and aware of focusing possibilities with their images, or who would want (or know how to) take precise control of their focusing .... So that's an entry-level feature.

Likewise, the lack of built-in flash on the new K3ii suggests not that the designer thinks the users won't user flash at all, but rather that they expect the users to be experienced with more sophisticated flash operations in the studio, or with multiple-flash setups and radio triggers ... So that's a 'pro' level feature. Put a few of that type of feature onto a camera body and you end up with a 'pro camera'
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 26/04/2015 - 12:08

Smeggypants

Link Posted 26/04/2015 - 12:20
McGregNi wrote:
I personally don't agree with Steve Ledgers assertion that there's no such thing as a 'professional camera, only professional photographers'.

Where did he say that?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Jetsam1

Link Posted 26/04/2015 - 13:10
My Dad had one camera between 1973 and 2002 when he got a digital camera. The thing is technology and capability move on much more quickly with digital. I always assumed that to be a "pro" camera was as much to do with being built like a tank with extra slots for things and bigger batteries etc.......
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

McGregNi

Link Posted 26/04/2015 - 13:12
Gets a bit confusing when we pop up anywhere, doesn't it I can't figure out how to copy a url on this mini iPad I've got from work, but search for the thread 'K3ii specs leaked online ... On the 2nd page ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

SteveLedger

Link Posted 26/04/2015 - 23:00
I think smeggy is asking where I said that in THIS thread. You're free to disagree with my perspective on how I define 'pro'. But the facts are that more so named 'pro' cameras are owned by hobbiests than so called 'professional photographers'..
Professionals are those who use cameras to make money, if they can make money using a LOMO then the LOMO is a pro's camera, right?
'Professional' is also an attitude, which is more important than which camera you can afford.

johnriley

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:28
Just a reminder please not to quote spam. It means the spam and the post quoting it then both need to be spotted and deleted.

Many thanks!
Last Edited by johnriley on 27/04/2015 - 08:28

SteveLedger

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:37
John, at least it alerts other members not to click on a shorturl link which could potentially lead to a malware infested website.
But what this forum needs a proper reporting system.

johnriley

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:39
The report system is there under report a problem, see the bottom of every page. However, we do spot spam when we log on, so generally reporting is isn't necessary.

I understand your good intentions, it just gives a second airing to the link that could be missed because it#s your post and not a spammer's post.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.