Not New but unused

hardingre

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 17:58
Hi everybody. I have been a member for ages but somehow cant get round to actually doing anything. So I tried to post a picture in the gallery yesterday. The result was a disappointing no show.
So, as I understand it. the pictures must be 800x800px max,RGB, jpegs. Perhaps I had fiddled around with it so much that there was no exif info. Although I did export it from LR with the "Minimise Metadata" field unchecked. So what went wrong and more importantly can I be bothered to do it again. If its not easy then Im not jumping through hoops.
Bob

johnriley

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 18:02
It sounds like you're not overly familiar with internet forums, but you've been motivated to make a first post, so that's a start.

Before we explain the process, do you mean the Gallery from the top menu or the Gallery in Your Pictures section in the forum?
Best regards, John

hardingre

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 18:26
The Gallery from the top menu. In fact the quick link from enter competition.
As you have asked the question re which gallery. Perhaps you could explain why there are two separated as they are. Perhaps one drop down menu with a choice would be better.

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 19:14
Hi Bob, good to see you have decided to take part in the forum. I hoe we'll see more of you here.

I can't answer the question was to where your photo has gone - unless you ticked it for the Pentax User Competition (not the monthly or weekly comps) - in which case it won't appear in the gallery until the end of the month I believe.

Once upon a time there was only the your photos in the forum. The forum was reorganised and the gallery added. The intention was that the gallery would be for your best photos, so you could build up a portfolio if you like, and the your photos section is more for comments and advice, or photos you want to show, but don't feel good enough for the gallery.

Helpful

hardingre

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 20:36
Thanks Gwyn. Im a bit of a camera "tart". Brought up on Pentax including and LX which I was sorry to get rid of in hindsight. Then after a long break a used Nikon FA then back to secondhand Pentax, including a Super A (for those with long memories a great little camera. Followed by a Z1P, an 1st which I still have and which is sharp. Nikon D40 also sharp. A D90 which was complete rubbish and not sharp. So I bought a K7, not bad but not as good as my 1st although the K7 is much better to handle etc. Sold the D90 and bought a Canon 60d - again not bad. I should have bought a K5. Still have the K7 which I use mainly for Macro work. My travelling camera is an Olympus EPM1 so light and like a toy but it does the biz. So you can see why I do not wholly subscribe to this website. More later. Perhaps the FAQs should be more comprehensive. My limited Flikr site is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobeh/

Stuey

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 21:23
Hello and welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

hardingre

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 21:34
Thanks Stuey. Aberdaron Looks like an interesting place to go. How come you got such good weather. It must have been your turn that week.

Stuey

Link Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:26
hardingre wrote:
Thanks Stuey. Aberdaron Looks like an interesting place to go. How come you got such good weather. It must have been your turn that week.

Thankfully we seem to get a bit lucky - sunshine for a few hours then retreat to the pub and watch the rugby (or football) when the rain arrives

Aberdaron is worth a visit - the main beauty of it is that ther eis very little there apart from the scenery
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

hardingre

Link Posted 17/11/2012 - 10:43
Ok Im still waiting for a response to my first query. The Answer to John was " The Gallery from the top menu." Im still none the wiser as to the process.

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/11/2012 - 11:11
Bob when you say you clicked on the quick link to enter a competition which competition did you mean to enter?
If it was the weekly or montly one your photos should appear in that week's/month's competition. If it was the Pentax User competition your picture won't appear until after judging has taken place I believe.

Why not try again with just submitting a photo to the gallery. Go to gallery at the top of the page, click on upload a photo, upload your picture, give it a title and tag and maybe a brief description. Unless it is a nude leave adult content unticked and likewise with the Enter PU quarterly comp. Leave that blank too.

It should work.

Failing that try the your photos section in the forum - you no longer need to have you photo on a hosting site to submit photos there - read the sticky at the top of the section for help.

Helpful

MarkD

Link Posted 17/11/2012 - 11:26
Hi Bob, it's quite easy really but can seem a little daunting first time round.
Go to the Gallery tab on the top menu and when you hold your mouse on the Gallery button, three options come up in a pull down menu. Select Upload Photo if you just want it to appear in your personal gallery under your user name, or select Main Gallery if you want it to appear in the main gallery as well.
This will bring you to another page. Just work your way down the page in steps. The first thing you need to do is select the photo you want to upload. Click the chose photo box and this will come up with a window to allow you to navigate to wherever you saved your photo on your PC. Select the picture and hit the "open" button at the bottom of the window.
This will take you back to the Upload Photo page but now the name of your picture should show up next to the Choose Photo box.
Then go to the next step and give it a title and a brief description or anything else you want to say about it in the boxes provided. Then choose what category you want it to show up in if someone does a search for a particular type of picture. If you can't decide just select General.
Tick the other boxes as appropriate. Then at the bottom of the page click upload photo and you're done. It may take a few minutes before the picture appears. I may be wrong but i think if it's your first picture posting it may need to be "blessed" by a moderator to make sure someone isn't pulling a fast one. So that may delay things further, but that's all there is to it.
You can only upload one photo per day unless you are a paid up member, in which case you can fill your boots.

ETA typical. Gwyn steamed in there while I was typing the War and Peace version with two fingers.......
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Last Edited by MarkD on 17/11/2012 - 11:29

hardingre

Link Posted 17/11/2012 - 14:00
Thanks Gwyn and Mark
I am a paid up member so hopefully I can load up a few at any time.
Im afraid that my questions are still unanswered though.
Firstly How may pixels are allowed
Secondly Do you need exif info
More worryingly - nowhere can I found a help file on the subject. Which was my gripe in the first place.

Gwyn says " to submit photos there - read the sticky at the top of the section for help" What is a sticky and where is the help file? Sorry to be so irritating but it may help future members if this sort of info was easily accessible.

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/11/2012 - 14:08
You don't need Exif, but it is nice to have it. If nothing else it confirms the photo was taken with a Pentax.
For the monthly competition you do need Exif to prove the photo was taken in the month of the comp.

In the Gallery I believe the software resizes the photo for you, so you can then click on it to see a larger version. Not too sure about that though tbh.

For the Your Photos section 800px on the longest side is best so as not to throw the forum out of proportion.
A sticky is a thread which always stays at the top of that form section. Here's a link to the sticky for posting in the forum:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/how-to-post-images-new--36443

hardingre

Link Posted 17/11/2012 - 14:33
Terrific, thanks Gwyn
I was reading a thread that said you could not post images from your HD in the forum. After searching for "Upload images your linked thread was not mentioned. So thanks for that.
Ok here's my first picture.

Perspicador

Link Posted 02/01/2017 - 18:49
Latest monthly competition][/b]

Hi there
It appears there is an error with the closing date for the current monthly competition. I anticipate this will last until the end of the month and not as stated?
Quote:
... the best lack all conviction, while the worst
are full of passionate intensity.
W.B Yeats

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.