North Yorkshire coast 1

jvs
Posted 10/11/2017 - 17:18 Link
Spent some time recently based at Robin Hoods Bay on the north Yorks coast - mixed weather but wonderful scenery. First a selection of night-time shots in RHB. All K3 and DA 16-85mm. Please feel free to comment - I found that some images had lots of lens flare around the street lights, while others had none at all and I'd be glad if someone could explain why!
1
Comment Image

2
Comment Image

3
Comment Image

4
Comment Image

5
Comment Image

6
Comment Image

7
Comment Image

8
Comment Image

9
Comment Image
John
davidstorm
Posted 10/11/2017 - 18:00 Link
I like these John, they are different and all the better for it. The street lights lend a sense of atmosphere which suits this lovely old fishing village well. I have very strong connections with this place, as my ancestors hail from there and were the predominant family in the fishing (and no doubt whaling) industry. The Graveyard is full of Storms! I think the Bookshop one is my favourite.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Chrism8
Posted 10/11/2017 - 18:59 Link
I quite like the flare, it adds atmosphere to the images, usually this occurs around the lights when the aperture is set to F8 to F16 ish, you've no mention of the settings so worth checking perhaps.

I like them all, so no real preference, have you tried a monopod conversion on some ?
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
jvs
Posted 12/11/2017 - 13:40 Link
Thanks, David. I actually think RHB looks better by night than in the daytime - much more atmospheric, with back allies and ginnels leading everywhere. Had I known of your connection, I would have paid a visit to the graveyard!

Chris, thanks for your comments, too. I think I may have used the wrong term in my ignorance. The flare around the lights is the effect I was looking for, but what showed up in a number of shots were - and I don't know the correct technical term - pentagonal artefacts with different colours. Some are only visible in processing, others stick out like a sore thumb and some images don't seem to have any at all. Any explanation would be welcome! Here's an example:
Comment Image
John
MrB
Posted 12/11/2017 - 18:46 Link
I like the flare and the compositions of all the street shots, John, but I'm not fond of the strong orange colour. Is that a result of the white balance or are there sodium street lamps in the village?

For me they look great when converted to monochrome images with good contrast.

Cheers.
Philip

Hope you don't mind this example:
Comment Image
Edited by MrB: 12/11/2017 - 18:50
jvs
Posted 13/11/2017 - 19:21 Link
Don't mind at all, Philip, I think you're right about the conversion - I'll try it with others.
Regarding the white balance, I adjusted it in Photoshop raw to what I think is an accurate reflection of how the street lights lit up the surroundings, so trying not to overdo it. I would add, however, that the software did not like it one bit and would have converted all the night shots into pallid versions of reality if I had used the "auto" setting.
John
OldTaffy
Posted 14/11/2017 - 18:16 Link
My own preference is also for the monochrome version. For one thing, colour perception tends to diminish after dark, and I think that we are more used to a "black and white" night view.

BTW: does the RHB bric-a-brack shop still have this amusing notice outside?

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
derek897
Posted 14/11/2017 - 18:26 Link
I think mono is the way to go when the light source is those orange type ones, they cast everything in the shot.
Might get away with it in cities where there's lots of different coloured lighting.
Be interested in seeing them if you do convert them.
I know what i like, If not always why.
cardiffgareth
Posted 19/11/2017 - 22:29 Link
Like the mono conversion. As a whole though, I like that stereotypical nostalgic cobbled streets feel to them
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
jvs
Posted 20/11/2017 - 17:18 Link
Finally got round to converting the night shots of RHB. I still like the originals, but the mono versions have an appeal of their own and certainly do the place justice, I think. Views on which version suits better?
1
Comment Image

2
Comment Image

3
Comment Image

4
Comment Image

5
Comment Image

6
Comment Image

7
Comment Image

8
Comment Image
John
Posted 18/08/2018 - 16:04 Link
There's some great sights to see at this coast. If you are ever traveling in this area with your best writing service mates, then you ought to go to this coast. I can definitely guarantee you that you will have an amazing time.
Defragged
Posted 18/08/2018 - 21:40 Link
Mono for me too, but that's not saying the colour versions aren't excellent as well. And lens flare actually looks great. In my opinion of course!
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo