Normandy beaches trip

Russ

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 15:35
I will be going over to Normandy in the next month or so. Tour the beaches and other sites of interest. Can't wait!!!! Dream couple of days for me.
Would like to take as much of my kit with me as possible. But before i pack the tripod, flash, DSLR, lenses etc could someone tell if the French authorities are as jumpy as their British counterparts. If i setup the tripod and K10D, will i have a french policeman jump on me from a great height? Am i likely to be arrested.

If so, i'll just pack the Pany FZ28 Although that looks a bit DSLR like, so perhaps not even that.

Many thanks
Russ

johnriley

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 15:41
Just take your camera kit and enjoy yourself. I think the Freanch are quite used to seeing people take photos on the Normandy beaches!
Best regards, John

ttk

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 15:44
Not sure about the tripod but I'v been to France two/three times and the police have not battered an eye lid at me taking photos
Tel,

womble

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 15:47
I doubt you'll have any problems on the Normandy beaches. The Gare du Nord maybe, but not there.

Have fun. I'd like to go and visit one day too, I envy you the trip.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Russ

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 15:50
Thanks all, that's what i will do.....just enjoy myself. But perhaps without the tripod.

Many thanks
Russ
Last Edited by Russ on 24/02/2009 - 15:56

hefty1

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 16:53
If you need somewhere to stay while you're there can I put in a quick plug for my friend's place?

http://www.manoirdelariviere.net/

I go there a couple of times a year and never had trouble taking photos, I don't tend to use a tripod because mine's huge and heavy so it's more for studio work - I'd be very suprised if I did have any problems using it though.

Nice part of the world, the scenery is pretty and the people friendly.
Joining the Q

Ben76

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 17:56
I don't think you will have any trouble at all even with a tripod, the beaches belong to everybody. I don't understand your fears however, should I understand that I would have some trouble with the English policemen if I were in the same situation on an English beach?
By the way where are you staying in Normandy? I could give you advice on what to see...
Have a nice stay and come back with photos to show us in the gallery, hope the weather will be fine.
Benoît

johnriley

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 18:16
Quote:
should I understand that I would have some trouble with the English policemen if I were in the same situation on an English beach?

I doubt it very much. You might find a confrontation if you were in a city centre, but again it's doubtful in most places. There have been some incidents where the Police have misinterpreted the law and tried to enforce non-existent regulations. Who knows why.
Best regards, John

Ben76

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 18:30
Quote:
I doubt it very much. You might find a confrontation if you were in a city centre, but again it's doubtful in most places. There have been some incidents where the Police have misinterpreted the law and tried to enforce non-existent regulations. Who knows why.

Thank you John, that's what I thought anyway, I have been in Britain many times and I have never had any trouble taking photos even in city centres. However it is true that you sometimes come across policemen who abuse their power.
Last Edited by Ben76 on 24/02/2009 - 18:30

Russ

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 20:26
Quote:
I don't understand your fears however, should I understand that I would have some trouble with the English policemen if I were in the same situation on an English beach?

Not sure why i'm getting so paranoid. I suppose i've seen a few stories on the net and in the media of people getting harassed or possibly arrested. But i guess those instances are rare and the media blowing things up out of proportion.

We're all booked with the hotel. The Hotel Le Canada in Hermanville-sur-Mer. Right next to the British Cemetery for Sword beach. The reviews for the hotel sounded promising. I hope it is or my father will kill me. Gulp! Our Birthdays are within a few weeks of each other and we decided this would be a good birthday treat. Although both my kids were desperate to tag along too. That probably wouldn't have been so relaxing.

Regards
Russ
Last Edited by Russ on 24/02/2009 - 20:26

Ben76

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 20:59
Hermanville-sur-Mer is not far from Caen, once an important bastion of William the Conqueror, and where you can visit the Peace Museum and the two abbeys. What is ironically interesting is that centuries after the conquest of England by the Duke of Normandy and his army , Allied Forces headed for the Norman beaches on D-Day 1944. Caen was almost completely destroyed in the battle that followed, luckily the Allies did not destroy the Abbaye-aux-Hommes, indeed it is said that if the Abbey is destroyed then the kingdom of England will fall too.
As for the seaside my favourite spots in the Calvados region are Omaha Beach, Arromanches, Trouville and Honfleur.
Again, have a nice time in Normandy.
Benoît

Russ

Link Posted 24/02/2009 - 23:29
Hi Benoît,

Many thanks for the info and places to visit. We will try and cram as much as possible into 3 days. Hopefully come back with some photos to show as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Russ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.