Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Non-Existent Support in the UK

JPP
Posted 27/01/2015 - 12:25 Link
Hello everyone.

I have just purchased a Pentax k-5 II body... Beautiful build quality and a well-thought-out camera!

However, I am unable to find retailers that stock the Limited series lenses. I live in Cheshire and the listed Pentax Pro Centre dealers fall short of being Pro. No one seems to stock lenses so that I can try before I buy.

HELP!

Regards

John
Posted 27/01/2015 - 13:26 Link
John,

I've found the same myself.

I've been into Jessops Manchester, who had a reasonable selection, (not sure if they had the ltds), I did try the 100 WR Macro in there. Might be worth giving them a bell and see what they have in stock before you travel. Also might be worth seeing if LCE have any 2nd hand Pentax stock near you.

Fortunately my job takes me to London on occasion, and our London office is round the corner from Park Cameras so I've managed to have look in there on a few lunchtimes.
Edited by lennythelion: 27/01/2015 - 13:26
wvbarnes
Posted 27/01/2015 - 14:16 Link
Living in Derbyshire I've only ever tried after I've bought for Pentax cameras or lenses . If the focal length is the one you need I've rarely heard a word against any of the Limited lenses other than sometimes their price.
Mike-P
Posted 27/01/2015 - 14:23 Link
Dare I say it but Amazon have a very liberal return policy.

As long as you don't abuse it I can't see any reason you can't try a lens and then return it if you are unhappy .... after all, you can't walk into Amazon and try their stuff so it's really the only way you get to make sure the item suits your needs.

BTW, if you are after a 70mm I have a very reasonably priced one in the sales section
Edited by Mike-P: 27/01/2015 - 14:24
johnriley
Posted 27/01/2015 - 14:35 Link
SRS Microsystems are my favourite supplier, so worth checking out their website. They are a bit far away maybe, but they are superb in terms of service and, usually, price as well.

Amazon as Mike pointed out are a good source also, but do watch the wildly fluctuating prices. Sometimes expensive, sometimes incredibly good deals.

There are others, but also Jessops will probably get lenses in for you to look at. Alternatively, meet up with a fellow PU somewhere close by. Many will visit places near you, and no doubt we all have the lenses you want to look at.
Best regards, John
HowardJ
Posted 27/01/2015 - 16:19 Link
Hi John (JPP)

Have you tried Wilkinson's Cameras in Warrington? They stock Pentax but I don't know if they are a "Pro" dealer. I took my K5 in there to be repaired last year, it took a while to come back but that was the fault of the repairers . Wilkinson's staff were very obliging and chased it up for me when I complained.

As an aside - are you in East or West Cheshire? I'm in East Cheshire.

Cheers,

Howard

Cymru Am Byth
Algernon
Posted 27/01/2015 - 16:44 Link
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
HowardJ
Posted 27/01/2015 - 17:00 Link
Algernon wrote:
Warrington belongs to Lancashire .......

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/9411195.Welcome_to_Warrington___in_Lanc...

--

So, they can have it if they want it.

Sorry John, went off topic.

Cheers,

Howard

Cymru Am Byth
johnha
Posted 27/01/2015 - 21:02 Link
HowardJ wrote:
Hi John (JPP)

Have you tried Wilkinson's Cameras in Warrington? They stock Pentax but I don't know if they are a "Pro" dealer. I took my K5 in there to be repaired last year, it took a while to come back but that was the fault of the repairers . Wilkinson's staff were very obliging and chased it up for me when I complained.

I haven't used their Warrington shop, but have used Wilkinson's in Preston for years, excellent service and most of the new gear I've bought from them over the years has come with a free 3yr warranty. Only needed it once - FA28-80 PZ switch repair (yep that long) and it was handled without problems.

John.
johnha
Posted 27/01/2015 - 21:11 Link
Algernon wrote:
Warrington belongs to Lancashire .......

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/9411195.Welcome_to_Warrington___in_Lanc...

--

Apparently, according to the Royal Mail, so is Manchester - the addresses of all of the Post Offices in Manchester are given as 'Manchester, Lancashire' on the branch finder.
Algernon
Posted 27/01/2015 - 21:29 Link
St. Helens is in Merseyside, but has a Warrington Postcode (WA).

It all used to be Greenall Whitley Land according to Car Stickers....
Let's all drink some beer!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sophiemaden/21-words-that-have-a-totally-different-meani...

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 27/01/2015 - 21:32
JPP
Posted 27/01/2015 - 22:56 Link
Thanks to everyone for their comments... Even the geography lesson on county boundaries.

Yes, I've tried Wilkinsons in Warrington (and the other Wilkinson Camera Stores). They want a 50% deposit and a firm commitment to purchase before they'll order a lens. Jessops want 100% up front.

It's been the same story at the so-called Pentax Pro Centres. No stock and at least a 50% deposit. Calling them "PENTAX Pro Centres" is surely a breach of Trading Standards.

I am new to Pentax but not to photography. Pentax need to wake up, promote and support their product line.

The camera body I've bought isn't much use, as good as it is, without a lens. If it had come with a black body cap, I could have at least have converted into pinhole lens.
jemx99
Posted 27/01/2015 - 23:33 Link
Treat yourself to a couple of cheap manual lens off eBay to play with while you decide what else to get!
LennyBloke
Posted 28/01/2015 - 08:01 Link
jemx99 wrote:
Treat yourself to a couple of cheap manual lens off eBay to play with while you decide what else to get!

Or look in the "Classified Ads" forum on here - it's a buyers market at present, so it's an ideal opportunity to pick up some quality items for relatively little money. There's a few "Limited" lenses available from some regular forum members. Agreed it doesn't give you the opportunity to try out a lens first (unless you can come to some agreement with a seller) - but in terms of value it's a great way to build a collection.

As jemx99 says, some cheap manual lenses are often a good way to explore the possibilities - and there are certainly a few of these on the forum too
LennyBloke
McGregNi
Posted 28/01/2015 - 13:13 Link
It was the ready availability of such a good range of lens choices, new, secondhand and the great legacy compatability, that was a key attraction to the brand for me. I've not had to find any actual shop in order to make really good and informed choices on lenses. There is great info available including images online, reviews etc, plus masses of comparative discussion recorded on the various forums. Items for sale here are usually in great condition and you can ask questions if needed.

For new, well, again, there's plenty of quality advice and reviews out there to help make the best choices. Good luck in your lens quest.. Why not ask here specifically for info and ideas on what to start with ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 28/01/2015 - 13:18

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.