Noise Removal Software
Posted 06/05/2009 - 12:53
Link
Or NeatImage, I think Ninja and Neat are the two top and comparable noise removal software.
Posted 06/05/2009 - 14:13
Link
I use Neat Image, which is free as a standalone for JPEG only, but I paid for the Photoshop plug in which makes things more seamless, and works on other file types.
I think programs like Neat Image, Noise Ninja etc tend to be more sensitive and controllable than the noise removal options build into applications such as Photoshop - and when I've seen comparison tests they've always come out best.
Although it's not necessary to use them terribly much with newer dSLRs unless you're obsessed about noise (a la DePressing Review for example), it's still nice to have on occasion, and they can be great with compact cams too - sometimes required even for ISO80 from my G10 if I use RAW.
I think programs like Neat Image, Noise Ninja etc tend to be more sensitive and controllable than the noise removal options build into applications such as Photoshop - and when I've seen comparison tests they've always come out best.
Although it's not necessary to use them terribly much with newer dSLRs unless you're obsessed about noise (a la DePressing Review for example), it's still nice to have on occasion, and they can be great with compact cams too - sometimes required even for ISO80 from my G10 if I use RAW.
Posted 06/05/2009 - 14:35
Link
I use NeatImage sometimes, 99% of this "sometimes" is when I'm submitting photo to some photo galleries with screening (these guys usually don't like noise), and photo was taken on high ISO, shows some visible noise.
Therefore I'm not using noise removal in camera or in other software.
Surely you have a much more control over the process of cleaning photo when using that software, often even at default values effect is very good, without the need to tune it (algorithm may be more advanced as well).
On the other hand noise removal build in UFRaw is not bad, sometimes I tend to use it a bit and skip the NeatImage (I use UFRaw to work on RAW files).
Therefore I'm not using noise removal in camera or in other software.
Surely you have a much more control over the process of cleaning photo when using that software, often even at default values effect is very good, without the need to tune it (algorithm may be more advanced as well).
On the other hand noise removal build in UFRaw is not bad, sometimes I tend to use it a bit and skip the NeatImage (I use UFRaw to work on RAW files).
Posted 06/05/2009 - 21:51
Link
Is there any good one for Linux (Debian in particular, but not necessary)? When 'developing' from DNG I usually use RawTherapee, which has some noise reduction filters, but I'm not very satisfied with them.
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Posted 06/05/2009 - 22:08
Link
I find Helicon Filter http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html pretty good, I've had it years since Beta and it has developed into quite a capable package.
Posted 08/05/2009 - 17:02
Link
I use Noise Ninja and its great.
bb2
bb2
K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc
Posted 08/05/2009 - 17:44
Link
misiek_knm wrote:
Is there any good one for Linux (Debian in particular, but not necessary)? When 'developing' from DNG I usually use RawTherapee, which has some noise reduction filters, but I'm not very satisfied with them.
Noise Ninja does. Look here beneath this heading. Noise Ninja 2.2.0 standalone softwareIs there any good one for Linux (Debian in particular, but not necessary)? When 'developing' from DNG I usually use RawTherapee, which has some noise reduction filters, but I'm not very satisfied with them.
Hope it helps,
Martin.
Posted 09/05/2009 - 21:25
Link
Thanks Martin, I'll give it a try - they say it's for x86, but maybe it will work on amd64 (which I have) as well.
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


371 posts
17 years
wiltshire
My Flickr