no rent lenses

cabstar
Posted 02/08/2010 - 12:08 Link
But I am not talking about a 600mm lens, I need a 300mm f/2.8 lens maybe 3 or 4 times a year. To have £2000 tied up in a Sigma 300mm 2.8 lens simply does not make business sense.

It is exactly this lack of long lenses available for rental which is seriously making me consider ditching Pentax all together. I am now at the stage of my career where I am shooting major events which needs a longer faster glass than 200mm. In my line of photography I get to work alongside a lot of well know photographers & there are very few that actually own their own kit. Either it is supplied by the paper they work for or they have hired it.

The bodies I own are great, but seriously impeded by a lack of longer reach lenses

A tilt lens more important than a 600mm come on, now you really are getting into serious niche lenses...

Robin, like your flickr stream by the way, good stuff.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
thoughton
Posted 02/08/2010 - 12:28 Link
IMO once you start talking about £6000 lenses then the cost of the body is a pretty minor consideration. Just buy the lens you need, then get a body that fits it.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
flossie
Posted 02/08/2010 - 12:38 Link
cabstar wrote:

It is exactly this lack of long lenses available for rental which is seriously making me consider ditching Pentax all together. I am now at the stage of my career where I am shooting major events which needs a longer faster glass than 200mm. In my line of photography I get to work alongside a lot of well know photographers & there are very few that actually own their own kit. Either it is supplied by the paper they work for or they have hired it.
Nothing is stopping you from doing the same... a rental for a specific job doesn't mean you need to ditch Pentax for everything else. Its also a lot cheaper - that's why those people you work with rent instead of own!
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Edited by flossie: 02/08/2010 - 12:41
greynolds999
Posted 02/08/2010 - 13:00 Link
I was reading through the Terms and Conditions and they're incredibly fair. The lens is delivered the day before the hire starts and picked up the day after.

So you can get a 60-250 (a £1,000 ish) lens for a week's holiday for £82, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

(And Flossie makes a good point. You can hire a D3x with a 600mm f/4 for the weekend from Calumet for about £200. Not bad for well over £12,000 worth of gear!)
Edited by greynolds999: 02/08/2010 - 13:01
rparmar
Posted 02/08/2010 - 13:32 Link
cabstar wrote:
It is exactly this lack of long lenses available for rental which is seriously making me consider ditching Pentax all together.
As I see it, you have several options:

1. Request that SRS get in a long Sigma or similar. Maybe once they have built up a revenue stream they will add such lenses that have less demand.

2. Buy the existing DA*300 and possibly add a (third party) teleconverter.

3. Buy/hire a different system. There is nothing sacred about Pentax after all.

cabstar wrote:
A tilt lens more important than a 600mm come on, now you really are getting into serious niche lenses...
No, I disagree. Anyone shooting landscape can benefit from tilt. Anyone shooting city and architecture can benefit from shift. (And also for applications with product shots, still life, etc. etc.) That is a lot more applications than a 600mm lens. In fact, these are essential features on large format cameras. Though among smaller format brands apparently only Canon recognises their importance.

It is only that our smaller format bodies are so dumbed down that people do not see the usefulness of geometric control. Do you want verticals that are vertical? Do you want infinite depth of field without sacrificing lens acuity? I sure do!

Given that Pentax already have 6x7 and 645 lenses that cover a bigger image circle, all we need is a high-quality adapter. It used to be the Russians made these, but no longer, AFAIK. Such a product from Pentax would be a lot cheaper than a 600mm lens and infinitely more useful to most people.

cabstar wrote:
Robin, like your flickr stream by the way, good stuff.
Thank you!
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
thoughton
Posted 02/08/2010 - 14:19 Link
rparmar wrote:
1. Request that SRS get in a long Sigma or similar. Maybe once they have built up a revenue stream they will add such lenses that have less demand.
Back on page 1 of this thread Chris said this:

Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
johnwhit wrote:

Any chance of renting Sigma lenses 120-400, 150-500? Postal service?

Regards,

John
We are planning on renting Sigma lenses as well, John. Postal and in-store collection will be possible if all goes to plan.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
petrochemist
Posted 02/08/2010 - 14:24 Link
johnriley wrote:
I never felt a need for a 1000mm lens.
On Saturday afternoon I took over 400 shots of the powerboat racing at Harwich.
Hardly any (only the start runs) used less than 600mm (900 with crop factor).
I used a F100-300 with 2* TC, A 600mm reflex (often with the TC) & a telescope 1000(-4000) equivalent (none of these numbers include the APS crop factor) .
I'd have loved to have a really long option available! (the telescope doesn't focus well when zoomed in).

I've only had a quick look through so far, I guess it could be under 20% that are sharp enough to keep & I'm quite please with a few of them.
Checking on the charts It seems that none of the boats would have come within a third of a nautical mile of me during the racing. (I didn't bother much when they were over ~1nm away, though I did get a soft image of the plume of spray as the first marathon boat finished at Roughs Tower (~10nm away IIRC!)

For events like this a very long lens (or a helicopter, and a moderatly long lens!) is essential.


Sadly shortly after I left one of the competitor's died, apparently from his boat flipping over at speed.

Mike
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Edited by petrochemist: 02/08/2010 - 14:28
Gwyn
Mike-P
Posted 07/08/2010 - 14:08 Link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo