Newbie from Greater Manchester

judderman62

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:07
Hi all

I'm a sensible kind of chappie - hence I have been a Canon man all my life and will continue to be.

I have recently acquired a K200D as having read about it it sounds like a real underrated gem of a camera.

Have been into photography most of my adult life, drifting in and out of it (largely out) until I got into my main area of subject , probably accounts for 98% of my stuff, - urban and rural dereliction and similar.

This is now my biggest passion in life.

Looking forward to using the Pentax "in anger" and seeing how I go and what I think of it once I've been using it a while.

looking forward to participating on here and to some ribbing about how much better Canon cameras are
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Snootchies

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:12
Welcome to the forum Judderman!

If you have'nt done so yet, I'd seriously consider the grip which accompanies the K200D.

What area of Greater Manchester do you hail from?
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

judderman62

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:21
Snootchies wrote:
Welcome to the forum Judderman!

If you have'nt done so yet, I'd seriously consider the grip which accompanies the K200D.

What area of Greater Manchester do you hail from?

I'm in oLdham Sir. Why the grip ? I've never been remotely interested in getting grips. I always have spare batteries with me and don't really want to add to size/weight of a camera.

It'll be interesting to see how my use of the camera unfolds. I bought it mainly to use on bad weather days as I have always shied away from using my canon kit in rain - even though I have two 50D's and they're probably weather sealed enough - so when I read about the weather sealing on the K200 I figured pick one up second hand and then be prepared for it to get rough treatment and even if it lasts just a couple of years that's fine.

Oh and my cameras do get badly treated - being into Urbex and being incredibly clumsy I do drop stuff a lot - my Canon 400D fell to it's death last weekend in a disused, and trashed, church - will prob replace that with a 500D.

quite looking forward to comparing the Pentax with my Canon gear.

Gotta say straight away it has lived up to my expectations of ruggedness - it just feels so robust and well made and feels great in the hand.

Think I may just like this one
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

snappychappy

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:25
Welcome to the forums
My piccies.

Snootchies

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:36
Glad you are enjoying the camera! Grips aren't to everyone's tastes of course. I personally find it more comfortable and offers greater flexibility in a portrait orientation. though considering your style of subject, I can certainly see why you want to go without.

I'm from Oldham way too originally, Saddleworth to be precise.
Bob

Helpful

judderman62

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:40
Snootchies wrote:
Glad you are enjoying the camera! Grips aren't to everyone's tastes of course. I personally find it more comfortable and offers greater flexibility in a portrait orientation. though considering your style of subject, I can certainly see why you want to go without.

I'm from Oldham way too originally, Saddleworth to be precise.

Indeed as the buildings I visit are oft in low light my cameras are oft atop a tripod. Be interesting to see how the Pentax copes with that as one negative I have oft seen written about it is that it's not the greatest in low light.

Oh very nice - love the saddleworth area
- -
Mike

i-Berg

Link Posted 19/08/2011 - 08:12
G'day and welcome! Sounds like you'll be posting some great shots then, looking forward to them.

The Pentax range has moved on substantially since the K200 - the Kx, Kr and K5 are all superb in low light (arguably a forte for each). Not that that detracts from the K200 by any means.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

stub

Link Posted 19/08/2011 - 08:21
Hi and welcome to the forum. I too am from Manchester. (Best City in the land) Good luck with the K200, and enjoy the fun..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

carkaci

Link Posted 19/08/2011 - 21:29
Hello , welcome to the pentaxFamily
Regards;

Emre

Snootchies

Link Posted 19/08/2011 - 21:43
judderman62 wrote:

Oh very nice - love the saddleworth area

As do I!

All my family are still there and I visit often. Especially Whit Friday! (A key Saddleworth event!)
Bob

Last Edited by Snootchies on 19/08/2011 - 21:44

judderman62

Link Posted 19/08/2011 - 21:59
thanks for the warm welcome everyone
- -
Mike

Gwyn

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 10:46
Just been looking at your photo blog. I hope we'll see some Pentax photos on there soon?

The photos of St Leonards in Hythe brought back memories of childhood holidays and being terrified by all those skulls staring at me .

My husband is from Oldham too - born at Boundary Park, grew up in Chadderton, a lifelong Latics supporter. His Dad used to work at the Elk Mill. We had a quick drive around when we were over in April, and enjoyed a nice pub meal at the Church Inn in Chadderton Fold - more memories of younger days!

judderman62

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 10:57
I have put my 1st photos up in the "your photos" section on here taken Friday and yesterday.

St. Leonards was amazing and all the skulls cool, if a little unusual.
- -
Mike

digitalCG

Link Posted 22/08/2011 - 10:30
Welcome Judderman - it would appear we're from a similar neck of the woods and share some photographic interests. I'm not so adventurous these days but have seen my fair share of dereliction in Oldham including Fletchers paper mill, Bailey mill and the old Pennine Way hotel.
Site|PPG

Helpful

judderman62

Link Posted 22/08/2011 - 20:40
digitalCG wrote:
Welcome Judderman - it would appear we're from a similar neck of the woods and share some photographic interests. I'm not so adventurous these days but have seen my fair share of dereliction in Oldham including Fletchers paper mill, Bailey mill and the old Pennine Way hotel.

Why not so active these days ?

seen 2 out of the three - fletchers is just amazing and Bailey is possibly my fave mill - all the machines are amazing and the design and building materials and the way it's kind of different levels etc - i really do like it a lot.
- -
Mike

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.