New Toy, I'm in love!

Mongoose

Link Posted 09/11/2007 - 16:41
I've spent the afternoon playing with my new toy, a Tamron 300mm F2.8 MF prime.

It's old, heavy and the all metal casing has seen some heavy use (though not abuse from the look of it), but the optics are clean and crystal clear, the aperture is snappy and the focus is a dream, not too heavy nor too light.

I set up a Gin bottle to take some test shots and took the same shots with my 3 300mm lenses. The new Tamron, an even older Tamron 300 F5.6 which I picked up on ebay for 10, and my Pentax 80-320.

At F2.8 the Tamron has a sortof dreamy slightly soft look, as you might get from a soft focus lens. Details are still pretty sharp, but everything has a bit of a glow to it.

By F4 this dreamy glow disappears. At F4 the Tamron is sharper than the Pentax 80-320 ever gets.

At F5.6, the Tamron seems to pass the resolution of the K10D sensor, and resolution is pretty constant from there to F16. At F22 and beyond it softens up a bit, but never very much

I can't wait to point this baby at something worth photographing! will post the results as soon as I have any
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Kim C

Link Posted 09/11/2007 - 20:28
A prime will normally beat a zoom hands down any day.

Kim

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 09/11/2007 - 23:14
I've got one of those too - nice when I can be bothered to lug it about. I tend to use it mostly either in the garden, or when I know I'm going somewhere specifically to use it, it's not something I carry about on the off-chance.

Works okay with my 1.7x AF convertor too, makes a nice 500mm f/4.8, but quality's certainly better without it.

Have fun!

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Mongoose

Link Posted 10/11/2007 - 09:15
indeed, it certainly isn't a general purpose lens, but the sheer quality and speed it is capable of will make it worth carrying when there's a good chance of it being used.

I've pinched an old rifle grip from my Dad and that combined with SR makes it more or less hand holdable. Naturally the weather is awful today but hopefully will get to play with it properly soon.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 10/11/2007 - 10:01
After I'd seen your post last night, I had a look through some of the shots I've taken with it, and was reminded just how good a lens it is, as long as it's used carefully!

Focusing is critical, especially when used fairly wide, and being such a heavy lens, you need a very sturdy tripod (or a large bean bag) to ensure a crisp image. I haven't used it much on my K10D, but the good shots from my *istD are very nice and sharp. Not the sharpest lens I have, but still pretty damn good.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.