new to this

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 14/06/2020 - 20:18
hi all , a new to me lens with minimal editing any advice welcome , either camera settings or editing advice

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 14/06/2020 - 20:35

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 14/06/2020 - 20:36
didnt notice the flies when i took the pic

davidwozhere

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 00:57
There's an edit for a start - zoom in and emphasise them? ......... what IS the new lens? It would help to estimate its potential.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 14:03
thanks for the reply, lens is Pentax SMC FA 100mm f2.8 Macro,

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 15:30
That's a very good lens. And being a macro lens, it will let you get very close to a subject - at its closest, something 1 inch long will fill the frame (lengthways).

Comments about pictures are usually subjective, so if you've taken a picture for your own pleasure and you like it, ignore what anyone else says! Having said that, here are a couple of hopefully constructive thoughts about the pictures. I hope you don't mind me tinkering with your pictures to show what I mean. You'll be able to do better with the full size pics rather than the reduced images on this forum.

- With the first one, the (i.e. my) eye wants to settle on the red plant but is pulled leftwards by the bigger space to the left. A symmetrical image can be very striking. Try removing some of the left hand side so the red plant is central. Something like this.

- With the second one, there's a lot of detail, including scruffy grass at the bottom, the background isn't horizontal and it isn't clear what the subject is. Try straightening so the background is horizontal then cropping all round. Aim for less distraction and the flies becoming part of the story (suggesting that the wood has been left for a long time). Something like this (other crops with similar effect are also possible).

Keep at it, we're all somewhere on the learning curve, just at different places!

Steve

LennyBloke

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 18:26
Steve has provided some great constructive criticism and I'd echo his views, but remember it's what makes you happy that's important.

Being a high quality macro you have the option to get close in and use it as it was intended, but it's also great as a portrait lens at the wider apertures. Keep shooting and posting and you'll get plenty of comments and tips
LennyBloke

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 19:09
thanks for the advice gents , am starting to get to grips with exposure in manual settings, so will keep shooting and posting to improve, enjoying the fact that can just go out in the garden and find something to shoot

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 19:16
I agree with Steve on the first shot and suggest centralising the flower.

On the wood pile with the 100mm macro you could get a close up of the flies or I may have gone in close on one of the logs that had interesting wood grain, or not so close and get both the fly and end grain.

Just my ideas, but with that lens your options are pretty limitless. Enjoy using and experimenting with it.
Paul

K1000, istD, K70

Chrism8

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 20:23
When your ready add a set of extension tubes and you get even closer, fairly cheap as well.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

jeallen01

Link Posted 15/06/2020 - 22:21
Basically, I agree, but maybe aim to get an AF set of tubes so that you get the (sometimes debateable!) advantages of "full AF" - more expensive but may be "worth it"
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Chrism8

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 06:44
jeallen01 wrote:
Basically, I agree, but maybe aim to get an AF set of tubes so that you get the (sometimes debateable!) advantages of "full AF" - more expensive but may be "worth it"

Generally with close up / macro photography you'll be better with manual focus so my tubes are not only cheaper you'll probably not use the AF anyway.

You'll find even a small change in position will change the focus point.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 09:43
Or even better, don't even think about getting something else to put on the front of the camera and just do what PRYorkshire suggests:
PRYorkshire wrote:
with that lens your options are pretty limitless. Enjoy using and experimenting with it.

If you haven't got one already, the only bit of equipment that's definitely worth thinking about is a tripod. There are so many reasons for using one and it's useful in so many situations. And sooner or later we all realise that we can't hold our hands as steady as we used to (or thought we could).

Steve
Last Edited by Lubbyman on 16/06/2020 - 09:43

Helpful

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 10:41
have got a tripod comming, as am finding holding steady can be a problem

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 12:01
neiljgriffs wrote:
have got a tripod comming, as am finding holding steady can be a problem

You'll need to turn of SR (Shake Reduction) in the camera menu when using the tripod
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.