New or used ?

testbloke
Posted 12/01/2011 - 16:28 Link
Despite posting a which DA* thread earlier this week, based on a couple of recomendations and thinking about best quality -v- price -v- practicality I have now decided on a sigma 24-70 F2.8 for my portrait and upcoming wedding shoots.
I now have a dilema whether to buy new or second hand :-
Best new price I have found is from a company called "one stop digital" It looks like an import as they are offering a 7 year warrenty, price £340.
Used one from ebay seller, £240.

Cash difference aside, my dilema comes from many reports that Sigma quality control is not too good and many people have had more than one copy of a lens before they get a good one. In this situation, I have no idea how I would get on with one stop digital as I have never heard of them up until now. Therefore, am I better getting the used example that comes with 5 day no quibble, testing it to ensure its good and chances are if its good now it will still be good in five years time so the lack of warrenty is not such a big deal.

I would appreciate your opinions on which is best and also any recommendations or otherwise for one stop digital.

Many thanks
Kevin
Edited by testbloke: 12/01/2011 - 16:28
davex
Posted 12/01/2011 - 16:36 Link
Quote:
Therefore, am I better getting the used example that comes with 5 day no quibble, testing it to ensure its good and chances are if its good now it will still be good in five years time so the lack of warrenty is not such a big deal.
That would be my preferred option, if the ebay seller has a good name. Have not used one stop digital, but are you aware they are a Hong Kong company?

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
testbloke
Posted 12/01/2011 - 16:39 Link
Davex, thanks that is helpfull. Not aware they are hong kong company but thought it must be imports, almost £100 less than nearest competitor and 7 year warrenty ...
testbloke
Posted 12/01/2011 - 18:56 Link
...hmm, one lesson learned, dont advertise good buy on Pentax lens in a Pentax forum. Someone got a nice lens

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo