serendipity

Link Posted 04/01/2008 - 12:48
Hello folks, just a quick intro and a happy New Year to you all. I have been lurking for a couple of months, in anticipation. I received a K100D Super for my birthday (1.1.0 with the kit lens, 18-55mm, plus I have purchased the Samsung 50-200mm for more bird close ups. Looking forward to learning more about DSLRs, as I have come from p+s digital. First impressions of the K100 are good, the picture quality (even in my clumsy hands) is so much clearer and sharper .
One thing I do need urgently is a tripod, and not being a city stockbroker I am looking for something strong (my old tripod is not up to the weight of the Pentax) but reasonably priced, ie between 50/80, if such a beast exists?
I have been looking at the Slik (sp?) range, which seem good value?
Anyhow, enough for now, I will no doubt harass you with newbie questions in time!
Just to let you know, I am male with just over 50 years behind me, and live in Southern Scotland ;o)

Regards

Serendipity

K10D,K100D Super.

MX veteran

Link Posted 04/01/2008 - 13:33
Hello and welcome,

I joined in November after buying a K100D Super and in my opinion, in the main, this is a great place for all sorts of help.
You get considered advice some of it conflicting, but this usually sets off a cracking debate 'till everything gets thrashed out. I too are just the wrong side of 50, and chose Pentax 'cos I've got lots of kit upto 35 years old and I can still use it with an up to date digital camera.
Can't really help you with the tripod question as I'm not up to speed with what is currently available.

Rob
K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 70mm macro and lots of old lenses

browngo1

Link Posted 04/01/2008 - 13:49
Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your camera. Look forward to seeing some bird shots.
Gordon
---------
K10D

xbow

Link Posted 04/01/2008 - 15:26
Welcome, I only joined in September after buying my first Pentax - a K10D. I'm also approaching two years the wrong side of 50 .......

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

laceylou

Link Posted 17/01/2008 - 00:24
I just joined as well, but I am on my 5th Pentax camera.... forum is looking very good, having been browsing for sometime tonight
I am currently studying Textile Design at the University of Derby, graduating in 2009 (hopefully!)

Prieni

Link Posted 17/01/2008 - 08:30
Welcome to the forum!

On the tripod issue here is an interesting article (can't remember if I found this link here in the forums or elsewhere).

It seems I'm going the old fashioned "waste of money" route and I'm on my second tripod which is a Jessops one (which was in the price bracket you quote IIRC). It's "sort of o.k." but it has some quirks so I might be on the hunt for a new one shortly (and thus underlining how right that article is).

Enjoy the forum,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

serendipity

Link Posted 17/01/2008 - 12:22
Thanks for your welcomes and advice After a little more homework/head scratching I decided to get a mono pod. I went for a Giottos MM9570 Professional with tilt head, it seems a excellent sturdy piece of equipment. I went the mono pod route due to the terrain I would be in, plus the speed of erection . A tripod is on the things to get list, and maybe I should save up for a good quality one.

Thanks

Serendipity (Mick)

K10D,K100D Super.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 19/01/2008 - 09:37
serendipity wrote:
Thanks for your welcomes and advice After a little more homework/head scratching I decided to get a mono pod. I went for a Giottos MM9570 Professional with tilt head, it seems a excellent sturdy piece of equipment. I went the mono pod route due to the terrain I would be in, plus the speed of erection . A tripod is on the things to get list, and maybe I should save up for a good quality one.

Thanks

Serendipity (Mick)

I think you should spend more time with the camera doing the kind of photography you want to do before deciding on what sort of tripod to get.

If you photograph birds in flight using a short tele, a tripod is not going to be much use. I find I can handhold a 300mm or 400mm lens and get acceptable results.

Tripods are for long lenses (in the main), and in your position, I would be saving up for a longer lens before buying a tripod.

Good luck.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

serendipity

Link Posted 19/01/2008 - 11:48
Thanks for the advice George, and you are right about the longer lens. I will try and do some more shooting (weather permitting) before making up my mind. I have tried the mono pod around the garden, and it is much easier to set up, especially on uneven surfaces.
Roll on some half decent weather!

Mick

K10D,K100D Super.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.