Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New film camera anyone ?

Pwynnej
Posted 20/12/2022 - 09:55 Link
Sadly, a few years late I think...

When Pentax brought out the *ist 20 years ago, you could get a slide film with processing for £7, the processed and mounted slides returned within 5 days....

If you could buy a 1GB Compact Flash or MicroDrive (remember them?) card for less than £100 you had a bargain... I was at Ffordes when they proudly announced you could get a 1Gb for £99.

We are at the tail end of 2022, B&W films still relatively affordable, Ilford good availability, less so with Kodak - wish they would reintroduce Plus X. Slide films now £21 for E100 and £19 for Velvia/Provia - my regular lab, Peak, has just gone out of business. Most of those that do E6 don't offer mounting. Meanwhile, having sold my D810 (kept my K-1 ) I can't even give away my 64Gb extreme (MPB offered £5!) - probably tells you that cameras using CF are a much faster dying breed..

However, I would be interested to see what results...
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
Edited by Pwynnej: 20/12/2022 - 09:57
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 20/12/2022 - 10:16 Link
I think they're right on time. Given what people pay for a used Olympus Mju II, a film compact with a decent 35mm f/2.8 lens could probably be sold new for a very similar price and with a guarantee so the buyer would be safe in the knowledge that it's covered if for some reason it stops working the day after purchase.

Kodak are racing to ramp up production, Ilford are expanding their films and available formats... the future is promising for film for at least the next few years.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
pschlute
Posted 20/12/2022 - 12:51 Link
With film continuing to enjoy a renaissance, I think this is a very exciting idea from Pentax. It would draw a lot of interest from photographers who would not consider a Pentax DSLR but would be interested in a film one for sure.

Does anyone actually make a film SLR at all today ?
Pwynnej
Posted 20/12/2022 - 13:41 Link
No Film SLR camera as far as I am aware. The Nikon F6 was the last one I believe and that was only recently discontinued.
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
Lubbyman
Posted 20/12/2022 - 13:42 Link
They're thinking, they want dialogue, they say they will be listening, it's been Japan-centred so far. And they aren't committing to make anything yet: "this announcement does not mean we will release new film cameras". Which is all very sensible, low cost, cautious, preliminary market testing stuff.

But don't get too excited, they might eventually decide to make nothing at all. On the other hand, they might put a project up for crowd funding, which begs the question of how much you would be prepared to pay up front for a crowd funded project to develop a Pentax film camera. And your answer to that question is.... ???

Steve
bjolester
Posted 20/12/2022 - 18:31 Link
pschlute wrote:

Leica M6

https://m.dpreview.com/news/9789670720/leica-re-releases-the-leica-m6-film-camer...
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Lubbyman
Posted 20/12/2022 - 18:59 Link
Well, that gives a price point for a new film camera !!!!

Steve
RobL
Posted 20/12/2022 - 19:44 Link
bjolester wrote:
pschlute wrote:

Leica M6

https://m.dpreview.com/news/9789670720/leica-re-releases-the-leica-m6-film-camer...

Er, rangefinder camera actually but the point is still relevant. I seem to recall that Fujifilm’s Instax cameras are their biggest earner, a surprise considering all the digital cameras they produce.
RobL
Posted 20/12/2022 - 20:00 Link
Does anyone get what this means: “ One of the new challenges we have taken on is the development of PENTAX-brand film cameras. We feel this will provide camera fans with a joy of photography totally different from what they experience in the digital format. I want to stress that this announcement does not mean we will release new film cameras.”?

I just hope this doesn’t mean development of new DSLRs will be impacted, if a new full frame body isn’t announced sometime soon they might as well give up the digital market.
cardiffgareth
Posted 20/12/2022 - 20:15 Link
I can't wait to see it finished! I'll be very interested in one
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Lubbyman
Posted 20/12/2022 - 20:42 Link
RobL wrote:
Does anyone get what this means: “ One of the new challenges we have taken on is the development of PENTAX-brand film cameras. We feel this will provide camera fans with a joy of photography totally different from what they experience in the digital format. I want to stress that this announcement does not mean we will release new film cameras.”?

How about they've taken up the challenge of development but haven't given a commitment to release a film camera? Lots of things get as far as starting development but get pulled before they are released if it's decided that they won't be profitable. If (for example) interest in film were to drop off in a couple of years time, it might not be sensible for Pentax to release a film camera even if development were well advanced.

Steve
pschlute
Posted 20/12/2022 - 21:49 Link
RobL wrote:

I just hope this doesn’t mean development of new DSLRs will be impacted, if a new full frame body isn’t announced sometime soon they might as well give up the digital market.

Bah humbug
Lubbyman
Posted 20/12/2022 - 23:11 Link
pschlute wrote:
RobL wrote:

Bah humbug

... he said, as the ghost of Pentax Past slowly materialised, holding in its skeletal hand a camera that was ... NOT DIGITAL!

Steve
Flan
Posted 20/12/2022 - 23:33 Link
I have a 35mm film camera and its a Pentax, I can buy the latest film rolls but have to send them off for development even though I have the tanks and thermometers but the chemicals are too expensive as they were back in the mid late 1980s for home processing unless you had loads to do. contact sheets were the easy part and then figure out what one wanted to enlarge.
I have loads of slides of Kodachrome which was a brilliant service and the quality unsurpassed and I even developed my own slide film from ektachrome slide film and mounted in slide film holders.
I can understand a large format film professional Photographer wanting something more modern with extra functions but film for the sake of film is a no no for myself, as its way to an expensive a journey and results will vary from lab to lab on the development of negative's.
K1ii and epson EC8550 printer for my new journey.
Edited by Flan: 20/12/2022 - 23:42

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.