Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New File Format

johnny_rino
Posted 07/01/2008 - 22:48 Link
Hi All,

With the rumours flying around of two new DSLR's and other possibilities, of which one I've read on a number of posts is a new file format. Most people seem to think it's a new RAW format. I obviously don't know if we're going to get any new file format but what about the possibility of Microsoft's HD Photo?

HD Photo gives you many of the advantages of the RAW workflow!!
K-5, 2 K10D's, 16-45mm SMC DA,35mm DA Macro Limited, SMC 18-55mm WR, Sigma 135-400mm, 43mm SMC FA f1.9 Limited, 15mm SMC Limited, AF540FGZ, D-BG2
Don
Posted 07/01/2008 - 22:59 Link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
johnny_rino
Posted 07/01/2008 - 23:10 Link
Hi Don,

Great minds think alike! I read on one of the Pentax forums about the rumours and posters were trying to drag info out of possibly benjikan or another beta tester some info on what Pentaxians might get in the way of DSLR's etc. Benjikan or another 'in the know' hinted at the 'Big M', maybe that refers to Microsoft?
K-5, 2 K10D's, 16-45mm SMC DA,35mm DA Macro Limited, SMC 18-55mm WR, Sigma 135-400mm, 43mm SMC FA f1.9 Limited, 15mm SMC Limited, AF540FGZ, D-BG2
George Lazarette
Posted 08/01/2008 - 09:06 Link
johnny_rino wrote:
Hi Don,

Great minds think alike! I read on one of the Pentax forums about the rumours and posters were trying to drag info out of possibly benjikan or another beta tester some info on what Pentaxians might get in the way of DSLR's etc. Benjikan or another 'in the know' hinted at the 'Big M', maybe that refers to Microsoft?

This would be a terrible development. If MS establishes a new file format, we'll end up apying for it in one way or another.

Avoid like the plague.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
MattMatic
Posted 08/01/2008 - 09:12 Link
If the K20D rumours are correct, then my guess is there'll be a 12-bit mode (compatible with K10D format so that it's pretty easy for RAW tools to be updated... or maybe even a K10D lookalike mode so you can get going straight away), and a 14-bit mode to support the full depth of the CCD.

Just a guess
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
johnny_rino
Posted 08/01/2008 - 09:42 Link
Hi Matt,

We might not have a choice in it as it looks possible that the JPEG Forum might accept it as their new format!!
Gwyn
Posted 08/01/2008 - 09:53 Link
I also heard that JPEG were accepting the Microsoft format. Whether Adobe will accept it so we can all use our PS varieties on it is another matter.

As to whether it will be on the new Pentax - well with any luck we'll know on Thursday.
SPB
Posted 08/01/2008 - 18:57 Link
Oh no, a MS format! Lets hope and pray they do not restrict the cameras to just one format then.
distudio
Posted 08/01/2008 - 20:21 Link
johnny_rino wrote:
Hi All,

With the rumours flying around of two new DSLR's and other possibilities, of which one I've read on a number of posts is a new file format. Most people seem to think it's a new RAW format. I obviously don't know if we're going to get any new file format but what about the possibility of Microsoft's HD Photo?

HD Photo gives you many of the advantages of the RAW workflow!!

Something to avoid like the plague, an image file format that can only be read on XP and Vista machines, come on that's not universal that simply Microsoft centric (but they do think the world spins around them).

Lets hope they offer DNG with and without compression.
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~distudio/publications/
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.