new 18-55


Mongoose

Link Posted 28/01/2008 - 23:02
did anyone else notice the 18-55 MkII hidden among the really interesting new lenses announced recently?

as far as I can see, it is 5g lighter, has SP coating and is short by one lens element compared to the original version.

I wonder if it will be better, or just cheaper to make? The reduction from 12 to 11 elements makes me think the 18-55 mk I may actually prove to be superior, but this is just a hunch.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help

Mac

Link Posted 28/01/2008 - 23:46
Mongoose,

Tag.

You're it.

Now you have to buy one and do a side-by-side comparison for us!

That'll teach you!


Mac from Montreal

SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.

Mr. Ist

Link Posted 29/01/2008 - 21:58
It could just be marketing - although I doubt many people will rush out to replace mk1 with mk2 kit lenses...

I'm by no means a lens designer but I'd of thought its the quality of each element not the fact that theres one less, that matters

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 30/01/2008 - 20:06
I've been led to believe that the original 18-55 and the K20D would not be a good combination, quality wise...

Chris
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

Mongoose

Link Posted 13/02/2008 - 13:32
Mr. Ist wrote:
It could just be marketing - although I doubt many people will rush out to replace mk1 with mk2 kit lenses...

I'm by no means a lens designer but I'd of thought its the quality of each element not the fact that theres one less, that matters

certainly true to a great extent, although more elements gives more options for corrections. It also implies a more expensive design which more thought is likely to have gone into. However, when it's a difference of one element in a 12 element lens that probably doesn't hold very true and so your point is probably more important.

As pointed out above, spending 60 on upgrading the kit lens to the same lens with a MKII on it makes no sense at all unless it's stunningly better (which is unlikely), but it is likely to become of interest (to some) in a few months when these lenses come onto the marketplace and people want to know if they should buy the K200D kit or get it body only and source an older lens.

Thanks Chris for your contribution, that at least seems to imply that the MKII will be a better lens optically. I guess they figured that the MKI is already beyond its limits on the 10MP K10D and therefore putting it on a 14MP camera is a bad idea.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help

MX veteran

Link Posted 13/02/2008 - 14:05
Chris,

Pentax would probably like you to think that so you buy a new one!
K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 70mm macro and lots of old lenses

Mongoose

Link Posted 13/02/2008 - 17:17
MX veteran wrote:
Chris,

Pentax would probably like you to think that so you buy a new one!

or, in Chris' case, SELL a new one

good point though. It could easily be argued that anything less than the 16-45 F4 is a bad quality combo with the K20D.
you don't have to be mad to post here



but it does help

pentaxian450

Link Posted 15/02/2008 - 20:55
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
I've been led to believe that the original 18-55 and the K20D would not be a good combination, quality wise...

Chris

That is what Pentax implied at the introduction of the new models. The original coudn't give enough resolution for the new sensor.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 15/02/2008 - 21:00
pentaxian450 wrote:
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
I've been led to believe that the original 18-55 and the K20D would not be a good combination, quality wise...

Chris

That is what Pentax implied at the introduction of the new models. The original coudn't give enough resolution for the new sensor.

There's going to be a lot of unhappy Sigma users, then.

(Just joking!)

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.