National Firefighter Memorial #29
Posted 08/04/2011 - 15:02
Link
That is one of the problems of B&W, now if it had been as it was shot, you probably would have spotted her immediately
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Posted 08/04/2011 - 18:30
Link
Thanks for the comments, guys.
Walkeja, I have to say that in this shot there is a lot of distraction in the colour version. I know that colour 'street' photography can sometimes work just as well as mono, so I take on-board what you say.
BTW, don't you hate B&W images?
Dave, you have a point, I can selectively dodge or burn her to make her stand out a little more. Although, things are more apparent in the larger version of the image though.
Gareth, your right. The first thing I do when looking at a street photograph is think why the shot has been taken if it's not immediately apparent, and then search within the image for analogy and connections as well as other things between elements in the scene. There is a kick to be had in doing this with a lot of Winogrand's and Meyerowitz's stuff, as well as Richard Kalvar's.
In regard to an exhibition, I wonder if i'm good enough?!
Walkeja, I have to say that in this shot there is a lot of distraction in the colour version. I know that colour 'street' photography can sometimes work just as well as mono, so I take on-board what you say.
BTW, don't you hate B&W images?
Dave, you have a point, I can selectively dodge or burn her to make her stand out a little more. Although, things are more apparent in the larger version of the image though.
Gareth, your right. The first thing I do when looking at a street photograph is think why the shot has been taken if it's not immediately apparent, and then search within the image for analogy and connections as well as other things between elements in the scene. There is a kick to be had in doing this with a lot of Winogrand's and Meyerowitz's stuff, as well as Richard Kalvar's.
In regard to an exhibition, I wonder if i'm good enough?!
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 08/04/2011 - 20:14
Link
paulyrichard wrote:
In regard to an exhibition, I wonder if i'm good enough?!
Unfortunately, whether you're good enough is irrelevant. In regard to an exhibition, I wonder if i'm good enough?!
There will be photographers a lot worse than you who get successful exhibitions, and probably a fair few better who nobody will ever hear of. It's all about having the right way in with those sorts of things.
Know anybody you could ask a favour of in the gallery business? At the very least it'd be quite cool to have an exhibition and tick it off life's done list.
Joining the Q
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1307 posts
17 years
W. Yorkshire,
UK
For a long time I have been trying to photograph this one, but just couldn't come up with an interesting angle/ shot, other than a straight snap.
It all changed the other day though! I just happened to be resting (my feet were aching), on the other side of Jubilee Walk, in quiet contemplation of this memorial, when this happened.
So this one combines elements of 'street'/ 'happenstance' photography.
National Firefighter Memorial - Cheapside, London
[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/paulyrichard/nationalfirefightersmemorial1of1640.jpg[/IMG]
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/