MZ-3 mirror locking issue, any shop would help?

Photodesignch

Link Posted 25/03/2015 - 21:07
HI all,

Recently I took out my 9+ new MZ-3 from deep deep dungeon of my closet. While realized I still have a roll of film in the camera so i decided to finish it.

Last weekend I took it out to take some photos.. Right at first shot, the mirror basically locked at up position and no longer like to come down. I can hear gear motor moving every time, so I knew I am facing the exact MZ-3 mirror motor issue.

I first contacted PentaxUSA, they've told me they are no longer having parts to fix this camera. I then tried the local camera shop, they've also told me the same thing. However! After the intensive search, I found a replacement motor!!! But local camera repair shop still says it would require $159 pre-tax just to fix the problem even I have the spare parts.

Is there any mechanic in US I can send my dead MZ-3 to get it fix for cheaper price? After all, this camera only cost $80 on ebay now days. It's really not worth $159 just to fix it.
Last Edited by Photodesignch on 25/03/2015 - 21:11

George Lazarette

Link Posted 25/03/2015 - 21:18
I suggest you ask on a US website.

And good luck, but I don't hold out much hope.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 25/03/2015 - 23:01
Several years ago Eric Hendrickson (Link: pentaxs.com) upgraded my MZ-3 by doing this very repair.
At that time he had a source for the upgraded replacement motor with more durable metal gear.

FWIW I also had him install an MZ-M/ZX-M focusing screen as well.
Now it's a terrific AF/MF body I expect to be reliable for years.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!
Last Edited by ChrisPlatt on 25/03/2015 - 23:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.