Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

My New Website for weddings

petekd
Posted 31/10/2007 - 13:44 Link
Hi everyone I have not been around for a while been keeping a low profile. I hope all are well ?

Anyway I have just put up my new website. It is flash based in either slideshow or click on thumbs format with music. Just click on the loaded image or titles and it should playing after a few seconds

Enjoy the site and my wedding pictures

Comments welcome

http://www.petedavis-photography.com
Wedding & Portrait photographer
MattMatic
Posted 31/10/2007 - 13:52 Link
Hi Pete! Looks like you've been busy.
Just to say... there are lots of spelling and typographical errors on your site (especially in the "Questions" section).
e.g. "proffesional"

e.g. "whether its natural or studio"... should be "it's" (it is)

etc, etc

Spelling checkers are freely available... at least run it through Word or OpenOffice...

Hope it's working out for you though
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
petekd
Posted 31/10/2007 - 13:59 Link
Thanks Matt

Will edit and amend later

Cheers Pete
rtunstal
Posted 31/10/2007 - 14:15 Link
Hi Pete,

Nice to see you post again - Things have been very quiet around here without you.

Love the site - Can I ask what software you used to set that up. I'm not normally a fan of popups but your site looks very nice.

Cheers

Rob.
Don
Posted 31/10/2007 - 14:20 Link
looks good Pete.
Sounds like Celine Dionne....is it?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
niblue
Posted 31/10/2007 - 16:06 Link
rtunstal wrote:

Love the site - Can I ask what software you used to set that up. I'm not normally a fan of popups but your site looks very nice.

Like many others I also hate pop-ups - as soon as a pop-up attempts to fire I leave the site and don't come back.
fatspider
Posted 31/10/2007 - 16:50 Link
Hi Pete nice to see your still around

I think I've said this before, websites like yours are oK for those of you with fast internet connections, I found it a bit slow loading but did wait (as it was you )

Despite the slow load I was impressed with the layout and your photography seems to be coming on leaps and bounds.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
petekd
Posted 31/10/2007 - 17:55 Link
rtunstal wrote:
Hi Pete,

Nice to see you post again - Things have been very quiet around here without you.

Cheers

Rob.

The software to design these type of site is Adobe Flash MX you can download flash template which cost around £60 upwards. Then you have to edit in flash MX.

Its very technical and time consuming but worth it in the end try this link for some good templates

http://www.templatemonster.com/flash-templates.php
Pwynnej
Posted 31/10/2007 - 23:01 Link
Nice Site Pete...

and I was wondering whatever happened to Phil Cool
lenscape
Posted 01/11/2007 - 10:00 Link
Ugh! Flash and pop-ups.

There may be some nice pictures in there but I really can't be bothered with a fight navigating the site to see them.

If you want to show off pictures, all that animation, music and frilly bits is pure distraction. If you want people to focus on the pictures, why dilute their attention? It's a technique used in hard selling when the product doesn't stand on its own.

It has no place on a photography site.

If you want to make a lasting impression with an image, put it on the screen by itself.

All IMHO, of course.

Good luck with it anyway.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)
petekd
Posted 01/11/2007 - 10:43 Link
lenscape wrote:
Ugh! Flash and pop-ups.

There may be some nice pictures in there but I really can't be bothered with a fight navigating the site to see them.

If you want to show off pictures, all that animation, music and frilly bits is pure distraction. If you want people to focus on the pictures, why dilute their attention? It's a technique used in hard selling when the product doesn't stand on its own.

It has no place on a photography site.

If you want to make a lasting impression with an image, put it on the screen by itself.

All IMHO, of course.

Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks for your comments. Yes it is down to personal opinion but as for saying this has no place on a photography website is were I think you are wrong in my opinion of course. Being a member of DWF for professionals (digital wedding forum) this style of website display is the most popular internationally amongst professional wedding photographers and what attracts clients. Wedding photography is not just about a website and the images its also about presentation, imotion, creating a proffesional look and image. Remember you are a photographer so you may be looking at it from a different angle than someone else. As for a fight navigating through the site well I really cant see a more simple way to view images on my site. Simply click on the titles at the bottom and the slides play automatically. If you want to see a particular shot click on any of the thumbnails and use the next or previous button. I cant see anything more simple than that.

Thanks for your comments anyway
Cheers Pete
ChrisA
Posted 01/11/2007 - 11:29 Link
petekd wrote:
Comments welcome

Well, leaving aside the flash and the music, which I've commented on before, I had a look all the way through the Wedding 1 slideshow. (Then I had to have a bit of a rest.)

There are plenty of individual shots that capture the people quite nicely, and of course there's lots of critique that could be offered on many of them. But I don't think it would be fruitful here - you do what you do, and your style is at least consistent.

My overriding impression is of oversaturated colours (especially in the B&W ones where you've picked out a colour), and lots of trendy angles. I've seen all the effects that you use, done much less stridently by other wedding photographers. I do understand that this sort of thing is very much in vogue these days, even though I don't like the effects at all (I think they look tacky, myself).

It wouldn't be the style I'd choose for my wedding, but it wouldn't surprise me if you find a market for it.

My preferences aside, my view FWIW, is that, even within the genre you've chosen, a bit less in the way of angles and effects would be better.
petekd
Posted 01/11/2007 - 13:00 Link
ChrisA wrote:
petekd wrote:
Comments welcome

Well, leaving aside the flash and the music, which I've commented on before, I had a look all the way through the Wedding 1 slideshow. (Then I had to have a bit of a rest.)

There are plenty of individual shots that capture the people quite nicely, and of course there's lots of critique that could be offered on many of them. But I don't think it would be fruitful here - you do what you do, and your style is at least consistent.

My overriding impression is of oversaturated colours (especially in the B&W ones where you've picked out a colour), and lots of trendy angles. I've seen all the effects that you use, done much less stridently by other wedding photographers. I do understand that this sort of thing is very much in vogue these days, even though I don't like the effects at all (I think they look tacky, myself).

It wouldn't be the style I'd choose for my wedding, but it wouldn't surprise me if you find a market for it.

My preferences aside, my view FWIW, is that, even within the genre you've chosen, a bit less in the way of angles and effects would be better.

Most of it is really down to post editing. I offer traditional, reportage and candid style wedding photography with a little artistic flavour. Each couple has their own style they want but Id like to think the shots on my site try to give a good mixture from weddings 1,2 and 3. It would be a an amazing person who could please everyone with there images and style of photography infact Im not sure its even possible. All one can do is try to do the very best you can and keep improving with the style you shoot.

What I can say is so far my clients have been extremely pleased with their wedding shots so much so they have ordered duplicate albums/prints etc.. so I must be doing something right.

One final thing if you ever shot a wedding as the main photographer you will realise how difficult it is under tremendous pressure to take accurate quality shots in sometimes difficult and demanding situations. You only have one shot come rain or shine. It is easy to pick faults with wedding photography and you will find most pro wedding shooters will only display their best images taken over the years.

Chris I take your points on board

Pete
ChrisA
Posted 01/11/2007 - 13:18 Link
petekd wrote:
What I can say is so far my clients have been extremely pleased with their wedding shots so much so they have ordered duplicate albums/prints etc.. so I must be doing something right.

Splendid. I never said you weren't doing something right. You asked for comments, I made some comments, based on my preferences.

Quote:
One final thing if you ever shot a wedding as the main photographer you will realise how difficult it is under tremendous pressure to take accurate quality shots in sometimes difficult and demanding situations.

Absolutely. I have done a couple some years ago, quite successfully as they turned out, so I'm well aware of this.

Quote:
You only have one shot come rain or shine.

This is only partly true. I'm quite sure you take several each of all the poses. And you can look at what you did straight away if you're unsure of anything, and retake any gross errors. Obviously it would disrupt the flow if you checked every one, but it's a safety net if you need it.

It was more true in the days of film, when I did mine.

Quote:

Chris I take your points on board

I'm not even suggesting that you do. If your clients like what you do, and you have enough of them, then my, or indeed anyone else's views are of no consequence. Nothing personal, just that I won't be one of your clients
petekd
Posted 01/11/2007 - 13:46 Link
Chris,

I have just edited some of the over saturated BW+Colour and toned the down I have also used a BW technique I use I think you will find they look better now.

Having reviewed them I see what you mean.

With regards to the different styles please have a look at weddings 2 and 3 which you will probably find more traditional.

Maybe I should label differently like as follows

wedding 1 reportage style
wedding 2 candid + Traditional
wedding 3 Traditional

What do you think Mate

Cheers Pete

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.