My new website

mattox

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 17:25
Just finished setting up a new BASIC website through WIX. Just to have something on the net when the occasional onlooker asks for photos of mine, which doesn't happen really that often. As i am noticing lately that more and more people are buying my wrok, for some odd reason and its about time i got semi professioanl about the whole thing.I am quite happy with it. The style is unique, simple but effective. WIX do a really good job to get you up and started for this kind of thing, so I really do recommend it for anyone.

I would really appreciate some feedback about the site. Comments, criticism, all welcome. Any thing that may help boost my confidence or give me a kick in the arse to improve. Ha ha. The site has an email option, so you can leave any feedback there or post on the forum so that we can all learn.

Would really appreciate it pentaxians. It will really help me

www.wix.com/mattbishop/photo-web-site

Unlocker

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 20:14
Unfortunately it's flash so I couldn't see it on my phone and Fiona can't see it on her iPad.

As Adobe have now dropped flash for mobile devices it doesn't make any sense to have your site as flash only, at the very least you need to have a HTML choice along side it, preferably drop it completely.

So I fired up the laptop and as soon as the music started playing I just closed the page.

Might be harsh, but I didn't even get to look at any images so I can't tell you anything about your site apart from I didn't want to look at it. Sorry.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

davem

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 20:24
sorry matt i don't like the retro type face and the foreboding black background.

The site does not jump out and grab me making me explore it.

mattox

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 20:32
Don't be sorry guys. Things aren't for everyone . That s why I posted the forum. Great to have feedback! Keep it coming. Negative is positive for me. You learn.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 20:40
I never got the point of sites with a welcome page and a home page. Why not just a home page, which should be welcoming.

I really like the look of the site, the black background and the typewriter thing works well. Good job, good luck.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

ChrisA

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 20:45
I have FlashBlock switched on in FireFox, so when I clicked the link and got the little arrow, my heart sank. Against my better judgement, I clicked it.

I hate 'enter site' links. I've already clicked a link, so why do I need another link to click, to enter a site I've already entered?

Then there's a load of pretentious wordy stuff to get past. I hate that sort of thing. Show me the photos, wontcha??

Then the photos. I lose the will to live just waiting for them to slide into position and get focused. There's no convenient next/previous control, or at least one that I can be bothered to find.

Then there's more wordy awfulness. Australia is your womb, is it? Ugh. OMG give me a bucket. If you have to do this sort of thing, would you please sort out when to use apostrophes. I didn't think Aussies did this sort of crap.

I just about managed to look at a few of the photos before I lost consciousness, having slit my wrists a few seconds before.

They were quite nice, but for the sheer nasty vileness of the user experience I haven't seen anything to compare with this for a long time.

I've had a few glasses of wine tonight, apologies for the unexpurgated nature of the honesty of my reaction.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

mattox

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:00
DrOrloff wrote:
I never got the point of sites with a welcome page and a home page. Why not just a home page, which should be welcoming.

I really like the look of the site, the black background and the typewriter thing works well. Good job, good luck.

Maybe you are right about th welcome page. Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the effect of the layout. I like it too. I Would hope that it attracts the viewer to look at the photos rather than being disturbed by other jargon that floods the net today.

mattox

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:16
My god, I know I said negative and positive, but, really. Are you ashamed of just offending someone . The pretentious wordy stuff I call poetry buy the way, not everyone has to like it. You know, art (photography even).

After time and time again of reading just plain rude forums on this site like people like you I think after tonight I won't be using this site again. Makes me ashamed actually to be a pentaxian. Actually why I am even bothering to reply to your meaningless quote.

ChrisA wrote:
I have FlashBlock switched on in FireFox, so when I clicked the link and got the little arrow, my heart sank. Against my better judgement, I clicked it.

I hate 'enter site' links. I've already clicked a link, so why do I need another link to click, to enter a site I've already entered?

Then there's a load of pretentious wordy stuff to get past. I hate that sort of thing. Show me the photos, wontcha??

Then the photos. I lose the will to live just waiting for them to slide into position and get focused. There's no convenient next/previous control, or at least one that I can be bothered to find.

Then there's more wordy awfulness. Australia is your womb, is it? Ugh. OMG give me a bucket. If you have to do this sort of thing, would you please sort out when to use apostrophes. I didn't think Aussies did this sort of crap.

I just about managed to look at a few of the photos before I lost consciousness, having slit my wrists a few seconds before.

They were quite nice, but for the sheer nasty vileness of the user experience I haven't seen anything to compare with this for a long time.

I've had a few glasses of wine tonight, apologies for the unexpurgated nature of the honesty of my reaction.

ChrisA

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:24
mattox wrote:
Actually why I am even bothering to reply to your meaningless quote.

I have no idea.

If strong views, honestly expressed, are enough to send you away from the site, despite all your

Quote:
Negative is positive for me. You learn

... then I'm not sure why you bothered asking for an opinion.

Your site evoked strong negative reactions from me. You have the choice of taking my comments on board or not, as you please.

Why that should mean you have to abandon the site is beyond me.

I'm not asking you to agree with me, and you're free to disregard what I say.

Let me rephrase...

Didn't like it much, not really my thing.

Better?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Last Edited by ChrisA on 10/12/2011 - 21:25

mattox

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:36
Negative or positive, not offend. Go back and read what you wrote again after a coffee in the morning then

Gwyn

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:39
OK. I like the typeface, and the black background and the general idea of the site. I even like the wordiness, even if some is a tad psuedy .

But it is Flash which as Danny points out many people can't, or choose not to see.

The pictures take way too long to load and come into focus, and it isn't clear how to move onto another one.

You should just have a Home page not an enter page as well - many people just won't bother going any further.

So all in all a good concept, but it needs working on.

ChrisA

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:43
mattox wrote:
Negative or positive, not offend. Go back and read what you wrote again after a coffee in the morning then

In the morning, I'll be too busy to bother waiting for the images to load.

I don't like what you call poetry, it strikes me as pretentious.

I do like many of the images, but the time it takes to get to them is a serious obstacle.

People's views vary. Sometimes I'm in the mood to express mine diplomatically, tonight I'm not. Tomorrow I may be, and you're free to pay attention to them or not as you please.

mattox

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 21:50
Yes I do agree that the page needs work, first time around at this site thing (long time photography) I guess. I will consider getting rid of the home page tomorrow. The website is free so the uploading and flash issue is a problem. Unfortunately I don't know other options for building a website. Any suggestions.

Really appreciate the feedback and thanks for taking the time to looking at the site for me.

Gwyn wrote:
OK. I like the typeface, and the black background and the general idea of the site. I even like the wordiness, even if some is a tad psuedy .

But it is Flash which as Danny points out many people can't, or choose not to see.

The pictures take way too long to load and come into focus, and it isn't clear how to move onto another one.

You should just have a Home page not an enter page as well - many people just won't bother going any further.

So all in all a good concept, but it needs working on.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 22:01
Well the reason Matt's used flash is because he's used Wix to build the site, and Wix uses flash. Why use Wix? It's very flexible, intuitive and free. Personally I don't see the big issue with flash, I've just viewed the site on my smart phone and it worked fine.

The site - I like the layout and look. Love the font and color scheme. Kind of agree with other comments re the intro page and I'm not massively into 'flowery language' either although I can look past that.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

simonkit

Link Posted 10/12/2011 - 22:23
I'm currently on a Netbook so my feedback is based on that...

Unfortunately I can hardly read the text on the site, a bit too small and the font doesn't help either - I also agree about the "enter site" too, get rid of it as it will put people off visiting your site which is a shame because it has some great content!!

Just my thoughts

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.