My fowl friends (mostly)

matwhittington
Posted 15/05/2010 - 19:40 Link
Hello all, I have got into the habit of trying to post some pics on the forum every weekend and here is today's handful. I recently picked up a new Sigma 100-300mm f4 lens and this was my first chance to give it a run out. I popped out to my favourite part of Richmond Park to see the ducks - so apologies if you don't like ducks!

Overall impressions of the Sigma are very positive. Seems sharp, focusses quickly and feels good to use (to my mind); and seems an all-round step up in quality from the 70-300 APO.

Anyway - here we are. It was a very nice morning although also very early so the sun was low...

First up, Bluebells - these are everywhere now:
Comment Image


Next, a pair of Mandarins pretending to have a lie-in...
Comment Image


Comment Image


Finally - a couple of groovy reflections... The park is almost in full bloom (beautiful to see) so some of the reflections are fantastically coloured from the banks of flowers:
Comment Image


and these are just plain freaky (the duck is a Pintail):
Comment Image


I hope you like these. I took loads of pics this morning but not yet processed most of them. As ever, any C&C appreciated.

Best Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link
coker
Posted 15/05/2010 - 20:14 Link
Mat,

lovely Ducks! Great shots!

Is your favourite part of Richmond Park Isabella Plantation, by any chance? The reflections of azaleas & rhododendrons.....

I used to virtually live up "The Park" when I was a kid. In Wiltshire now.

Regards,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
matwhittington
Posted 15/05/2010 - 20:52 Link
Roger - you are exactly right. I love the Plantation and normally find myself in there one way or another every weekend... Just now it is an absolute riot of colour! Mind you, Wiltshire's nice too

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link
matwhittington
Posted 15/05/2010 - 20:53 Link
PS - thanks for the comments about the ducks

Mat
Mat W

My Flickr: link
bwlchmawr
Posted 15/05/2010 - 21:08 Link
The bluebells are nicely composed. I like the pintail, too.

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
snappychappy
Posted 15/05/2010 - 21:14 Link
Agree about the reflections, really adds to the image, cracking lens.
aliengrove
Posted 15/05/2010 - 21:34 Link
The groovy reflections are great, but I prefer the image of the male mandarin just before it, the contrast looks better and the colours on the duck stand out more against the water. All cracking shots though, the light on the bluebells is lovely.
i-Berg
Posted 16/05/2010 - 03:06 Link
Well shot Mat, and the new lens seems to be working well in your capable hands.
Rees
Posted 16/05/2010 - 09:15 Link
Good definition on all the shots, particularly liked the composition of the Bluebells - well taken,
Not everything in life is Black & White, If only it were!
Kind Regards,
Rees
matwhittington
Posted 16/05/2010 - 16:27 Link
Thanks everyone, comments much appreciated. I like the Bluebells shot too - i was lucky that it was a sunny morning yesterday to back-light them. I never get bored of the ducks, and I agree that the Mandarin shot from above has much better colours/contrast than the one from the side - I just couldn't resist all those coloured reflections. I was back there again this morning... Now my only headache is processing about 6 Gigs of raw files...

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo