My first time!!

Hardgravity

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 19:55
After a deep breath I started, all seemed to go well, I then looked and YES!!!

I just developed my first film!!!

OK, for those old hands out there this may not be so earth shattering, but.

I got a daylight developing tank from ebay, bought a roll of Ilford FP4 and a bag full of bottles.

After following the Ilford site PDFs I now have a developed film hanging up to dry.

When it's dry and I can scan the negs I'll try and post a decent pic, if there are any.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

mowog

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 20:15
Well done, my boy!... I'm proud of you!

Nice to see the young keeping up the old traditions. - You're not a proper photographer until you've developed a film, and reek of fixer!
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

ems82

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 20:25
Well done i want to do this just awaiting a 35mm camera then i going to get stuff is it difficult
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro

stu49

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 20:43
Hardgravity wrote:
After a deep breath I started, all seemed to go well, I then looked and YES!!!

I just developed my first film!!!

OK, for those old hands out there this may not be so earth shattering, but.

I got a daylight developing tank from ebay, bought a roll of Ilford FP4 and a bag full of bottles.

After following the Ilford site PDFs I now have a developed film hanging up to dry.

When it's dry and I can scan the negs I'll try and post a decent pic, if there are any.

Memories FP4 and the smell of fixer ! Oh yes !!

Stu - K10D | DFA 100/2.8 Macro | DA 55-300 | AF-360FGZ |

So much to learn... So little time !

Hardgravity

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 21:13
ems82 wrote:
Well done i want to do this just awaiting a 35mm camera then i going to get stuff is it difficult

Not really, The daylight developing tank is similar to the Agfa Rondinax 35u, these come up on ebay regularly and are easy to use.

The beauty is you don't need to fumble in a bag, meaning the film gets onto the spool without to much agro. I just followed the instructions in the box, visited the Ilford website, and gave it a try.

I'm surprised it worked so well.
Cheers, HG

Hardgravity

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 21:33
My first prints

Cheers, HG

hefty1

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 22:34
Congratulations!

I've been meaning to give this a go myself, really must get round to it this year. Would the Agfa tank you bought take 120 film as that's what I'd be primarily developing?
Joining the Q

Hardgravity

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 22:52
No Hefty, there's 2 versions.

The Rondinax 35u and my Essex are 35mm only, the Rondinax 60 and Kent tanks are for 120 films.

I have a Kent coming, I just hope it's complete as I feel that I need to use a Bellows camera, light meter, B&W film and develop it myself. After what I've said in the past about using film I feel guilty that I've never developed any myself.

That's now changing.
Cheers, HG

mowog

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 23:35
You will by now, have noticed that however careful you are, there will always be a few dust specks, water marks and strange little squiggles on your negs. This, unfortunately is quite usual with film development. You will become very good at using the clone tool to fix these. We old film veterans call it 'spotting'. I'ts a pain, but must be done.

Soon, you will want to start experimenting with different film/developer combinations. You will begin to obsess about what developer dilution to use, and at what temprature. Grain size and accutance. Whether to push process or not, and you will become concerned about the shelf life of chemicals. You will spend hours looking at film development charts on websites and forums and wonder if HP5 at 8 minutes in Rodinal produces better negs than Tri-X at 7 minutes in D76.

Boy, have you opened a can of worms!
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

womble

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 23:39
I have never developed 120 roll film but I have developed 35mm and 5x4 (35mm probably about 20 years ago now, and 5x4 before Christmas). My memory of 35mm was getting the stuff on the reel in the dark was a pain, but after that it was all pretty straightforward. With 5x4 the pain is getting the film in the darkslides in the first place.

The photographer at work related the story of someone who came in to load his 120 films in a dev tank. Some considerable time later he came back out saying he had managed it, but wasn't the film flimsy. Our photographer looked at the floor in the darkroom and lo and behold, there was the film. The chap had successfully loaded the backing paper into the reel!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Hardgravity

Link Posted 02/03/2010 - 08:04
mowog wrote:
You will by now, have noticed that however careful you are, there will always be a few dust specks, water marks and strange little squiggles on your negs. This, unfortunately is quite usual with film development. You will become very good at using the clone tool to fix these. We old film veterans call it 'spotting'. I'ts a pain, but must be done.

Soon, you will want to start experimenting with different film/developer combinations. You will begin to obsess about what developer dilution to use, and at what temprature. Grain size and accutance. Whether to push process or not, and you will become concerned about the shelf life of chemicals. You will spend hours looking at film development charts on websites and forums and wonder if HP5 at 8 minutes in Rodinal produces better negs than Tri-X at 7 minutes in D76.

Boy, have you opened a can of worms!

NOOOOO.......
Cheers, HG

Hardgravity

Link Posted 02/03/2010 - 08:07
Quote:
The chap had successfully loaded the backing paper into the reel!

When the Kent arrives I'll investigate 120 developing, and remember that the backing paper is there(I hope!)

My problem with 120 film is going to be scanning it. I have a 35mm slide/neg. scanner but nothing that will handle the larger fotmat.

I may need an enlarger and....
Cheers, HG

pink

Link Posted 02/03/2010 - 08:36
oo that takes me back!!

why don't you scan on a flat bed scanner and convert into Photoshop ??

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 02/03/2010 - 10:30
I think I told this story before -- but repeat --- my first film developing was in 1951when I joined the School Photo-soc. we made up our own developers from chemicals as shown by the Chemistry Master,'Gabby' Heyes,and I still do today !! -- Then I cycled about 4 miles to Marston and Heard's Leytonstone, from Manor Park (East London) and bought some ex-RAF B&W film of unknown'speed'for 6d a roll,loaded it into my Mum's Kodak Brownie Hawkeye 120 box camera, and when the 8 frames had been exposed blacked out the bathroom with a gray blanket, put some red paper around the 60 watt bulb ( as it was 'Orthochromatic Film') as a 'safelight',mixed up a spoonful of home-made developer in a dish my Mum used to make Tapioca Pudding in and I used for hatching Frog Spawn(not at the same time!)then 'see-sawed' the film through the developer, water rinse and fixer and got some wonderful grey, streaky images I though were the bees-knees !
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Dangermouse

Link Posted 02/03/2010 - 23:19
pink wrote:
oo that takes me back!!

why don't you scan on a flat bed scanner and convert into Photoshop ??

James

You should be ok on a flatbed scanner with 120 film, I know I've managed to scan a few old glass plates that way which were slightly larger than 120 frames. Unfortunately they date from around a hundred years ago and as a result we've no idea who the people shown in them are, although the photos look rather like my lens test shots with a few people, a handsome clock and some unknown cupboards. They may have been taken in this house but we've failed to work out where so far.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.