MX meter question

ssuga

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 17:45
Hello. I acquired an MX in pretty good shape but I can't get the meter to work. I replaced the 2 batteries, pressed the shutter-release 1/2-way down, and stood on my head but there's no light, needle, or indication of a meter. Can anyone guide me?

pschlute

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 17:48
Try pulling out the film advance lever to the "detente" position first. It should work the way you have already tried but may be quirky.

Try batteries other way round ?

Failing that it is knackered
Peter

My Flickr page

ssuga

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 18:00
OMG! What a quick response!! I just followed your suggestions and I guess the meter is DOA. "Knackered" is my middle name. Thanks for trying, sir.

danofmk

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 18:14
Try a little scratch of the underside of the battery cover with a screwdriver.

And then the same on the contact in the camera.

Has worked for me on other 35mm cameras before

pschlute

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 18:25
The MX does not need the meter to work, so you can always by an incident meter and behave like a real old fashioned pro
Peter

My Flickr page

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 19:55
pschlute wrote:
Try pulling out the film advance lever to the "detente" position first. It should work the way you have already tried but may be quirky.

Try batteries other way round ?

Failing that it is knackered

I think the KX is the only camera where that's needed to make the meter work.

danofmk wrote:
Try a little scratch of the underside of the battery cover with a screwdriver.

And then the same on the contact in the camera.

Has worked for me on other 35mm cameras before

This has worked for me on MXs before. Sometimes a thin layer of dirt and/or rust prevents the current from flowing. Also make sure the batteries are in the right way around.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

danofmk

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 21:34
I once rubbed the batteries with a cloth and that was enough to make the connection!

ssuga

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 21:39
YES! I've used the 'screwdriver scratch' before...along with the aluminum foil ball, emery board rub, solder dollop, and spring stretch. Too bad there's no duct tape solution haha. Good advice, indeed, and lucky for me, I still have two ancient Sekonic light meters at the bottom of a box somewhere in the garage. Thank you all for your suggestions!

JAK

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 22:43
I normally find a pencil rubber solves the problem.
John K

johnha

Link Posted 19/08/2019 - 23:29
ssuga wrote:
Hello. I acquired an MX in pretty good shape but I can't get the meter to work. I replaced the 2 batteries, pressed the shutter-release 1/2-way down, and stood on my head but there's no light, needle, or indication of a meter. Can anyone guide me?

There is no needle, the metering is indicated by a traffic light system in the right of the finder. Red at top and bottom, green in the middle and amber between the green and reds. They can be difficult to see in bright light. As mentioned, check the batteries are in the right way (it looks the wrong way).
PPG Flickr

pschlute

Link Posted 08/10/2019 - 23:37
yeah right.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.