MX-1 at Church

MrB

Link Posted 03/07/2021 - 19:09
Prompted by reading John's new review of the Pentax MX-1 (on the right of these pages), today I took mine along to a nearby church. It was quite a dull day but these images were all taken using the available light.
1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

[ Camera JPEGs tweaked in PaintShop Pro. Mono conversion in Nik Silver Efex Pro.]

Philip

johnriley

Link Posted 03/07/2021 - 19:18
Looking good! Glad the review prompted you!
Best regards, John

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 05/07/2021 - 09:03
Some great compositions here

The MX certainly handled those highlights
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

GeoffSteyning

Link Posted 05/07/2021 - 12:13
Really good shots. I'd have liked a little more info on how you straightened the uprights and a little more on ISO used. I bought my MX-1 back in 2013 and I disliked the screen..... great size and good at tilting but very difficult to use in bright sunlight. BUT..... there still aren't many pocket sized cameras that can record video, have a built-in flash, have a choice of frame shapes, exposure compensation AND have a zoom lens!
I recently picked it up again when investigating its Manual exposure techniques..... I reckoned that I wanted a fast exposure control of either aperture or shutter speed (with just a few clicks) so that I could use it as a 'street' camera, in my pocket, and be able get black shadows and 'normal' brighter areas (e.g. shooting towards the sun and allowing shadows to darken).
Last Edited by GeoffSteyning on 05/07/2021 - 12:14

MrB

Link Posted 05/07/2021 - 14:06
Thank you, John, Gareth and Geoff. I enjoyed your review, John - it's excellent. Perhaps you should get a backup soon. if you see a good bargain - I did, a couple of years ago, as it seems Pentax aren't intent on following it with an upgrade.

Geoff - all the MX-1 shooting details are in the image EXIF data, but regarding the ISOs you request, the camera was set to Auto ISO and gave these values: 8, 100; 1, 2, 7, 200; 5, 250; 3, 400; 6, 640; 4, 1250 (the gravestones were among trees). The verticals were adjusted using the Perspective tool in PaintShop Pro. General - all taken hand-held with Sensor Shift SR on, default Bright picture style, Auto white balance, and in Av mode with compensation when needed.

Cheers.
Philip
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.