Muay Thai
Posted 16/07/2010 - 01:53
Link
Interesting set Carlo. Some of the kids are fairly young but I don't see any problems with it really - those are pretty big gloves. When I was at school in the 80s we had boxing in PE classes, less public than this but not really that different.
You probably don't get boxing in schools in the UK these days, but that's our insane political correctness for you. Before too long we won't have any competitive sports in schools at all as some of our 'experts' think that children shouldn't have to experience the feeling of coming second.
You probably don't get boxing in schools in the UK these days, but that's our insane political correctness for you. Before too long we won't have any competitive sports in schools at all as some of our 'experts' think that children shouldn't have to experience the feeling of coming second.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 16/07/2010 - 08:10
Link
Interesting set, but not greatly distinguished photographicallyimo. The second to last is the most satisfying shot, for me.
I don't know which papers Tim's been reading, but I can confirm that competitive sports are alive and well in the school system (i work in school design (or did until the government scrapped BSF).
As for boxing, it's making a comeback in a lot of schools but its undertandable why many schools find it incompatible to their school ethos or don't have the resources to provide it (requires a very experienced coach). For me, people beating seven bells out of each other for entertainment is pretty dubious however you dress it up, and positively repellent where the participants are under 10 years old. It does seem to have a positive part to play past to play for some adolescents though I admit.
I don't know which papers Tim's been reading, but I can confirm that competitive sports are alive and well in the school system (i work in school design (or did until the government scrapped BSF).
As for boxing, it's making a comeback in a lot of schools but its undertandable why many schools find it incompatible to their school ethos or don't have the resources to provide it (requires a very experienced coach). For me, people beating seven bells out of each other for entertainment is pretty dubious however you dress it up, and positively repellent where the participants are under 10 years old. It does seem to have a positive part to play past to play for some adolescents though I admit.
Posted 16/07/2010 - 08:42
Link
I think you forgot to delete one of those
There have been quite a few stories in the papers about this. Here's on recent one where common sense thankfully prevailed: link
There have been quite a few stories in the papers about this. Here's on recent one where common sense thankfully prevailed: link
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 16/07/2010 - 09:04
Link
Hmmm that story just refers to an interschool sports day, for primary schools. The type of thing that would have scarred me for life if I had been forced to participate! I enjoyed egg and spoon races and other silly games on our school sports days, but an over zealous, old school sports teacher put me off competitive sports for life. I even go dry mouthed when someone suggests a kickaround at the beach. So naturally I feel that, at primary school, a softer more inclusive approach to sport is better, although it must be hard for people who are naturally good at sport to undertand.
Posted 16/07/2010 - 09:25
Link
Hmm it's one of those things which pop up in the papers regularly but finding the source now seems to be quite difficult. Perhaps it's all hyperbole. The only extensive references I can find online are in the Daily Mail, which I won't link to just out of principle
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 16/07/2010 - 14:04
Link
For a first effort with your new camera these aren't bad, Carlo. Inside with flash, pretty good exposure. Not photographically very interesting as far as I'm concerned though, I'm afraid.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 16/07/2010 - 14:16
Link
tnx all!!!
i know these are my first shots and i hope to grown fast!!!hehehe!!!
for the childrens..in italy muay thay is forbidden also for adults!
i know these are my first shots and i hope to grown fast!!!hehehe!!!
for the childrens..in italy muay thay is forbidden also for adults!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


32 posts
16 years
italy
i'm carlo and i'm new in this forum..i've just a couple of topic and i think noone know about me.
i'd like share with you some pics took in thailand during my trip in south east asia,
the pics are about thai box, the national martial art in thai,
but the sad and drammatic thing is that represents children between 10 and 15 (i think) years old, and this make touchy this kind of topic and pics.
i was there cause i was walking and i met a lot of people almost all thai around the ring.
and was my first week with my new k7 so, i took some shot.
it wasn't easy stay there cause i used play some martial arts and i know that these are are not for children,and i know that childrens have to play in the garden and not in the ring...
but this is the ugly true..in some parts of the world there are traditional and use not good for us..but there are...
i hope to had introduced myself and these pics..
so if you want you can take look in my blog...
i prefer add just the link and not pics just for sensibility to all forum user.
this is the link: link
otherwise no worries.
all the best.
carlo.