Moody mono

derek897
Posted 28/11/2019 - 10:58 Link
Just 2 and they are not macro shots

Just 2 from a while ago, sometime last year.
Not had a chance to get out much so I'm going through old files and seeing what i bypassed first time round.

here are 2 that didn't make the cut
PP is heavy handed but that's my intent on these, maybe I'm imposing my mood on them or it could be the other way around

Comment Image
2019-11-26_08-05-54-01-01-01 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Comment Image
2019-11-26_09-45-05-01-01 by dr.shutter, on Flickr
I know what i like, If not always why.
Chrism8
Posted 28/11/2019 - 13:10 - Helpful Comment Link
I like the 2nd one over the 1st only because there is more detail in the hills on the left, increase the shadows on the 1st image and add the sun /starburst with the reflection and that would pinch it for me.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
LennyBloke
Posted 28/11/2019 - 14:29 - Helpful Comment Link
Personally I find them "very nearly but not quite" - there are a lot of good elements but I think the overblown highlights just tip them away from being spot on for my eyes - and they are much better seen large
LennyBloke
swarf
Posted 28/11/2019 - 16:37 - Helpful Comment Link
No.1 for me (especially when seen large!) - I prefer the mood of it to no. 2., where for me the highlights predominate.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
pschlute
Posted 28/11/2019 - 18:06 - Helpful Comment Link
I prefer the composition of 1, but agree that the blown highlights and lens flare are not helping.

The second has great detail in the hills, but the sky looks a bit odd.....grainy?

Having said that I like them both. Very moody.
Sry
Posted 28/11/2019 - 18:39 - Helpful Comment Link
Very nice tones going on in the left-hand part of 1. The blown-out highlights on the right offer an interesting counterpoint. Personal preference would go for all-out greyness/darkness, though.
danofmk
Posted 28/11/2019 - 19:25 - Helpful Comment Link
I quite like number 1. As you say, a lot of post but that's the idea and there's bags of mood and atmosphere there.

No. 2 doesnt do it for me at all though. Just doesnt feel or look pleasing to me.

You've pretty much got a full range of comments on both images now, which shows how subjective this game is!

Thanks for sharing something a little different and requiring some pause and thought.
Lubbyman
Posted 28/11/2019 - 22:34 - Helpful Comment Link
danofmk wrote:
You've pretty much got a full range of comments on both images now...
Not quite the full range...

Try rotating the first one anti-clockwise through 90 degrees (so the LH side is at the bottom). It works for me as a moody surreal abstract. In fact, I prefer it that way to the original! And I'm stone cold sober, too!!

Doesn't work for me with the second one, the line of reflection is too far from the centre.

Steve
derek897
Posted 29/11/2019 - 17:59 Link
Cheers guys, this has been an interesting one for me,
unusually for me I the heavy handed pp isnt bothering me, nor are the blown highlights, as it was intentional, not blown in the origial.

Steve I tried the vertical but didnt gel with it, but a complete flip kind of works

Comment Image
glendalough3_o by dr.shutter, on Flickr
I know what i like, If not always why.
Benz3ne
Posted 29/11/2019 - 18:44 - Helpful Comment Link
Love the sunburst in 1 and the embankment in 2. Great shots all round anyway!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo