Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Monitor advice please

Northgrain
Posted 30/03/2012 - 16:05 Link
Apologies - I know this is a hoary old topic - but I'm in need of a new monitor and would be grateful for advice and/or links to old threads that people think were particularly useful on the issue, and particularly recommendations of good makes/models for lightroom use etc etc.

I've been bumbling along with an old 18 x 12 jobbie, and fancy something a bit better and probably a bit bigger!
steven9761
Posted 30/03/2012 - 16:35 Link
Despite their HD capabilities, I'm told that CRT monitors are best for colour calibration, etc. I'd suggest taking a trot down to your local PC shop, and have a look at what's available. Don't make the mistake of taking the salesperson's advice though - they're on commission, so they're gonna convince you that the most expensive one's the best - oh, and would you like an extended warranty with that, sir??..
hamish3000
Posted 30/03/2012 - 19:03 Link
Have a look at LG IPS LEDs. Pretty good value and the price difference would allow you to consider a calibration device. I have also read that LG actually make the panels for more expensive models.
exevalley
Posted 30/03/2012 - 20:20 Link
Hi Tim, I have recently purchased a new monitor and am very impressed with it, i had been using a Mitsubishi 22 inch CRT for years but the brightness keep fading away and needed constant adjustment so I did some homework and bought a dell widescreen, Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor from Amazon for £175, The monitor was near perfectly calibrated from the box and I can highly recommend it if you don't want to spend a fortune. Regards Robin

www.exevalleyphotos.com
Steady99
Posted 30/03/2012 - 20:29 Link
I have just recently bought an LG IPS235v for £148 and have found it to be fantastic.
Cheers
Craig

Flickr link
Northgrain
Posted 31/03/2012 - 23:31 Link
Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated

I've pulled the trigger and ordered a Dell U2312HM. Looked at the LG monitors too, which look great, so a toss up but there seem to be lots of v.v. positive comments/reviews out there on the Dell... and I can get quick delivery
flat4
Posted 01/04/2012 - 07:53 Link
I alo own an LG IPS 235v and it's fantastic. It comes factory calibrated, so I hardly spotted the difference when I was making a colour profile with my Spyder. IMO, best bang for the buck.
Link to my PPG
eddyc
Posted 01/04/2012 - 18:25 Link
This IPS one is getting great reviews at the moment:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/viewson...

Available for only £120 on dabs. I am about to get one!
Edited by eddyc: 01/04/2012 - 18:26

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.