Model Shoot 09 08 2012
Posted 09/08/2012 - 23:33
Link
Technical details were Pentax K-5 with SMC Pentax-FA 43mm f1.9 Limited.
Best regards, John
Posted 10/08/2012 - 03:10
Link
To my liking, the background is too distracting on both pictures, but more so in the second one. You could use some selective blur to help keep the eye on the model, especially in the second picture. Also, on the second one, I'd crop a little bit more from the bottom, so the "cut" would be further from the model's left elbow joint. On the first one, I think I'd try to make the model a tad more vertical.
As for lighting and model direction, they are interesting. The first one's attention seems to be focused and dreamy at the same time, which leads me to wonder what kind of "world" she's in. The second one's attention is more focused, but it suits her fine.
As for lighting and model direction, they are interesting. The first one's attention seems to be focused and dreamy at the same time, which leads me to wonder what kind of "world" she's in. The second one's attention is more focused, but it suits her fine.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 26/08/2012 - 23:26
Link
Just spotted this. Both attractive pictures of attractive girls, but I agree with Yves about the backgrounds. You may not know this, but a wider aperture will reduce the depth of field, and throw the background out of focus.
Just one question. Which is Melissa, and which is Melissa?
G
Just one question. Which is Melissa, and which is Melissa?
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 27/08/2012 - 04:30
Link
I don't mind the background in the 2nd picture. Nothing could distract me from that girl
but agree with others that narrower DOF would have improved the shots.
Come on John get yourself an Pentax A50/1.2 ! - you know you want to
Candid shot of random stranger at Mobile burger stand @ f/1.2

A bugger to focus and I was lucky with this, but if you've got models then you can take your time focussing
but agree with others that narrower DOF would have improved the shots.
Come on John get yourself an Pentax A50/1.2 ! - you know you want to
Candid shot of random stranger at Mobile burger stand @ f/1.2

A bugger to focus and I was lucky with this, but if you've got models then you can take your time focussing
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 27/08/2012 - 08:19
Link
i like both, but i would crop the 1st,because the rope burn near her elbow is to noticable, john what have u done to her,
the second on i agree with pentaxian450 i would
crop from the model's left elbow joint..
the second on i agree with pentaxian450 i would
crop from the model's left elbow joint..
k-5 IIs, Pentax 60-250, 17-70, 100macro WR, 50mm F2,
AF50 F1.4, Siggy 10-20, Siggy 100-300 F4, ..Pentax Af 160 ring flash
AF50 F1.4, Siggy 10-20, Siggy 100-300 F4, ..Pentax Af 160 ring flash
Posted 27/08/2012 - 09:07
Link
There's nothing wrong with the backgrounds
I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge about
industrial fashion photography in this thread
You don't throw backgrounds OOF that's the whole idea
Just type "industrial fashion photography" into Guggle
and select "images for industrial fashion photography"
It's been that way since at least the 70's
I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge about
industrial fashion photography in this thread
You don't throw backgrounds OOF that's the whole idea
Just type "industrial fashion photography" into Guggle
and select "images for industrial fashion photography"
It's been that way since at least the 70's
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 27/08/2012 - 10:36
Link
Steady on there Algi!
Shot one - something about the angle, the crop, and the direction the model is looking, doesn't quite work for me - it's as if the shot was snapped while she was posing for someone else.
Shot two - the crop feels a bit tight and I don't feel best use is being made of the background. Either blur it out for a straight portrait, or if 'industrial fashion photography' is the aim, I would pull the model forward so more of whatever it is in the background can be seen, or take the shot from further back so the model is seen in the industrial environment.
The model's pose, and the light, are superb though!
Shot one - something about the angle, the crop, and the direction the model is looking, doesn't quite work for me - it's as if the shot was snapped while she was posing for someone else.
Shot two - the crop feels a bit tight and I don't feel best use is being made of the background. Either blur it out for a straight portrait, or if 'industrial fashion photography' is the aim, I would pull the model forward so more of whatever it is in the background can be seen, or take the shot from further back so the model is seen in the industrial environment.
The model's pose, and the light, are superb though!
Posted 27/08/2012 - 14:49
Link
I like these John
Now I am no portrait photographer and won't even dare to attempt argue the rights and wrongs but I like these as they are - I like being able to see the back drop as well particularly in number 2
Interestingly though when Timbo posts a picture no one seems to notice the background, not sure why that is
Now I am no portrait photographer and won't even dare to attempt argue the rights and wrongs but I like these as they are - I like being able to see the back drop as well particularly in number 2
Interestingly though when Timbo posts a picture no one seems to notice the background, not sure why that is
Posted 27/08/2012 - 15:01
Link
There's quite a bit of PF on the background on No: 2
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 27/08/2012 - 16:59
Link
I like the second one - it's an interesting angle, and the golden light on the face is very attractive. The splidge of bonus lipstick under her lower lip is a little distracting, as is the fringing in the OOF high contrast areas, but both of these could be dealt with very easily.
I can't see what's special about the first one though - sorry. The 'leaning foward with hands clasped behind' look seems a little awkward; the light looks flat, and unlike the second, there's not much texture to the hair. Can't see it, I'm afraid.
I agree with Pentaxophile that she looks like she's really posing for someone else.
I can't see what's special about the first one though - sorry. The 'leaning foward with hands clasped behind' look seems a little awkward; the light looks flat, and unlike the second, there's not much texture to the hair. Can't see it, I'm afraid.
I agree with Pentaxophile that she looks like she's really posing for someone else.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 27/08/2012 - 18:41
Link
Stuey wrote:
Interestingly though when Timbo posts a picture no one seems to notice the background, not sure why that is
That's because, in Timbo's pictures, the background forms an integral part of the image. Timbo goes to great lengths to get the background exactly right, and in most cases, the image would be nothing without the background.Interestingly though when Timbo posts a picture no one seems to notice the background, not sure why that is
That's his way, and it works (extremely well) for him.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 27/08/2012 - 19:21
Link
This isn't a comment on JR's photography but the image of Melissa 2 annoys me...the girl has obviously gone to great lengths with the make up to give her a 'glow' but her bare arms are very fair in comparison... It's just like when chavs apply fake tan on the features...yet their hands and back of the next betray their true skin colour.
I used to be a Worksop regular and the first thing we did was ask the model to completely undress and then shoot portraiture, that way by the time we get to doing figure the strap marks disappear amazing how many shots are ruined this way...
I used to be a Worksop regular and the first thing we did was ask the model to completely undress and then shoot portraiture, that way by the time we get to doing figure the strap marks disappear amazing how many shots are ruined this way...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 27/08/2012 - 19:41
Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
I used to be a Worksop regular and the first thing we did was ask the model to completely undress
Yeah, we've heard of Worksop....I used to be a Worksop regular and the first thing we did was ask the model to completely undress
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester