Misadventures!

Shine

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:00
So here I am, this morning, leaving home for University.
As I do pretty often, I take my Kx along with me, with the 16-45 mounted on it, fit snugly in my Crumpler Pretty Bella Half Photo backpack (the name calling IS there for a reason, I assure you )

I jump in the bus, and put my bag on the seat beside me. Coming to a stop, the bus driver hits the brakes, and my backpack falls down. No big deal, something like a 30 cm fall, seeing how its built and how well the camera fits in, I need not worry.

Or do I?

A few hours later, hanging around in the park instead of attending lectures, as usual, I pull out my camera to take a few shots.

Uh oh. Something's obviously very wrong. Why won't it focus?
Well, it turns out the focusing right of the 16-45 appears to be stuck, and won't budge anymore. Additionally, there's a weird resistance when trying to reach 40-45mm.
Oh dear. How this this happen

After going to a couple camera shops, I have to say I'm pretty damn disgruntled. There's nothing they can do. One thinks the whole focusing/zoom ring set needs to be replaced, and I'm better off buying a new lens. Like that's going to happen.

Another guy thought I could send it in, but told me it would indeed be extremely expensive, maybe more so than the lens itself. Oh, crap.

After coming back home, and sitting here brooding on my deceased lens, I fiddled a bit with it. What the heck, right, if it's not even gonna get any repairs.

By forcing a bit, I loosened the focus ring. The autofocus works again. However, the zoom ring also got worse. Instead of some resistance from 40mm to reach 45, the zoom ring now absolutely refuses to go beyond 35mm. As if I had already reached 45mm.

Truth be told, I'm still struggling to accept the facts. How the hell could this happen? from such a small fall, in a well protected bag. Gah.

Oh well, hope you enjoyed the story :s

johnriley

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:13
Sometimes it doesn't take much if you're unlucky as to where the impact occurs.

First thoughts are how old is the lens? Guarantee? Household All Risks insurance?

At least get a quote from someone, after all it's a superb lens and maybe it can be fixed easily. It needs a technician to examine it, not a shop person to make wild guesses.
Best regards, John

Anvh

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:14
I'm sorry to hear what happened, it appears you've been very unlucky. I've heard quite a lot of stories of the lucky ones dropped from tables even from a stair without any damage

I hope you could manage to repair it somehow, in another topic some guys already listed some shops that might be able to help you.
It's about fungus the thread, with some luck it's only dislocated and nothing is broken.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 14/04/2010 - 18:18

gartmore

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:17
Bad news.

I have a Pentax-F 28-80 that suffered a a much smaller fall with similar results. I think when they land front element down a lot of damage is done. Mine still works with some force but the focusing scale is very inaccurate.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

pink

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:21
send it off for a quote what have you got to lose ??

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

Shine

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:21
Well the lens was bought here from MikeP, so while it looked as new, I'm quite sure it wasn't under warranty anymore. I'd guess it's already a few years old.

The shop people told me however that a quote alone would cost me 120 francs, because Pentax doesn't exist over here in switzerland anymore. They'd have to send it over to Germany or some place. That would be about 75 pounds for a quote, and that's without even knowing if it can be fixed, and for how much.

pink

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:25
ring srs they should be able to point you in the right direction and even with a company that repairs lenses for a living

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

gartmore

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:25
I dont want to rub salt into the wound but I always tell students and assistants never to put cameras on chairs or tables etc. Always put them on the floor or ground, they can't fall off the ground.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

dougf8

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:36
I learned a lesson last year with a GX20 body. As you upgrade your kit gets more expensive. Until you don't realize and wham!!!

I'm insured now and take a little more care.

I really empathise with you.
Lurking is shirking.!

Anvh

Link Posted 14/04/2010 - 18:43
gartmore wrote:
I dont want to rub salt into the wound but I always tell students and assistants never to put cameras on chairs or tables etc. Always put them on the floor or ground, they can't fall off the ground.

Ken, you sure about that, never underestimate the ingenuity of students.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/04/2010 - 08:49
Anvh wrote:
gartmore wrote:

Ken, you sure about that, never underestimate the ingenuity of students.

I have a student son and daughter...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

terje-l

Link Posted 15/04/2010 - 10:16
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Shine.

I just changed insurance company, and apart from reducing the annual premium by a few thousand NOK, I put in a camera all risk insurance. Costs me NOK 250 annually for NOK 15000 worth of equipment. Not too bad, and I now feel more relaxed.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Last Edited by terje-l on 15/04/2010 - 10:16

Shine

Link Posted 16/04/2010 - 16:21
Ah, well, here's a small update:

After sending an e-mail to pentax, they advised me to make contact with some guys that apparently officially repair pentax gear, since pentax isn't present in switzerland anymore.

The quote costs half what it would if sent to pentax germany, and they also want to take a look at the camera to check it, just in case, for no additional cost.
According to them the problem is fixable, although they can't say for sure, and only gave me a rough estimate of about 130 pounds for repairs.

So my 16-45 left this morning, and the K-x with it. Will be cameraless for a while, hoping for the best

Anvh

Link Posted 16/04/2010 - 17:01
Pentax solved it quite nicely then, I'm glad for you
Let us hear how it ends.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Shine

Link Posted 17/04/2010 - 01:04
Yeah, they were pretty cool about it!

Will update the thread once I get some news
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.