Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Microsoft Windows Vista - Anybody using it yet ?

Mannesty
Posted 07/03/2007 - 18:16 Link
I've been slowly adding various applications to my test Windows Vista Ultimate PC and so far, everything I use for digital photography works OK. All Adobe software works fine, as does C1LE etc.

I have experienced one fairly major problem though.

I use a lot of external HDD's, both firewire and USB2. I find it simpler to use these rather than open up a machine to attach another drive.

I've got 2 PC's I use regularly and the Vista Ultimate machine has been my workhorse PC running Windows XP for a couple of years with no problems whatsoever and worked with these external HDD's quite happily.

When I try and copy a bunch of files, photo's in this case, the copy process simply stops. The dialogue box remains on screen and the remaining time just grows and grows. 19 days + at the last attempt.

Is anybody else using Windows Vista (any flavour) in this way and have you had (can you test) this problem.

Copying files across the network works fine, if a lot slower.

I'm not asking for a fix, I just would like to know if anybody else on here has had this issue before I contact Microsoft. I do know that my graphics card will not run Aero.

Regards,
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Daniel Bridge
Posted 07/03/2007 - 18:26 Link
Hi Peter,

Sorry, still on XP, but I remember a (sort of) similar problem when I got my first USB printer - printing would just stop part way through, and although onscreen it looked as though the print was continuing, nothing would happen.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the solution was. Got a feeling it was one particular USB card that I was using, I think I changed over to a USB socket on the motherboard and it was alright. Driver problem? You'd know better than me.

Dan
Mannesty
Posted 07/03/2007 - 18:41 Link
Thanks Dan. Yes it could be adriver but I'm using only Microsoft drivers on an Intel (3 - 5 years old) Motherboard.

It's odd that I'm getting the same issue with both Firewire and USB.

The only common denominator seems to be that they are external devices. Copying large numbers of files works fine from internal to internal drive, and across the network.

It probably will turn out to be a driver/OS issue as all the same hardware works fine with WinXP as the OS.

If anybody is interested in my opinion, don't bother upgrading an older machine, except for curiosity sake. It'll all end in tears if you do. Buy a new Vista ready PC and save yourself the grief. Better still, wait 1 - 2 years when service pack 1 comes out before doing so, then mugs like me will have helped iron out the bugs.

Cheers,
Taliety
Posted 07/03/2007 - 21:18 Link
Just ordered new hardware and Operating Systems. There are lots of reports about the drivers, even for new hardware, not being available in Vista, so the machine will be dual boot, with XP Home and Vista Premium. Didn't think it worth going to XP Pro and Vista Ultimate.

I'm expecting to put all my photo editing stuff on the Vista installation, with document handling, publishing, pdf and such like on XP. Don't know whether both sides will support the film scanner, flat bed scanner and printer yet, just have to try it and see.

Hoping that when I've completed it, I'll be able to deal with my RAW files. The current machine either grinds to a halt or the program stops responding, Photo Laboratory does that, and Browser just takes an age.

Are both your USB and Firewire ports on the MB or a separate card? If they're both the same, then it's probably a common driver, like the North Bridge or somesuch. Caan you get updated bios and MB drivers? I'll let you know if I get the same problem, but I probably won't be there until late next week.
Cheers

Malcolm

Life? Don't talk to me about life!
Mannesty
Posted 07/03/2007 - 22:00 Link
USB ports are on Motherboard, Firewire ports are a separate card. I'll look into Motherboard BIOS updates etc.

Good luck with your dual boot system.
Taliety
Posted 07/03/2007 - 22:15 Link
Quote:
Good luck with your dual boot system.

I'll need it, havn't tried this before, but thought it the safest way to progress to Vista. I've only upgraded to XP recently, since my W98 photo machine got sick.

I always mean to upgrade a box after a year, get a cheaper faster processor, change the OS, etc, but always get there and think, "well it's working OK now, don't mess with it". In the early days did quite a bit of overclocking, until I broke this machine fairly comprehensively. It's not really worth it now.
Cheers

Malcolm

Life? Don't talk to me about life!
Ammonyte
Posted 07/03/2007 - 22:42 Link
As a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer since 1999, I have absolutely no intention of ever running Vista on my own machines. XP will be the last mikeysoft OS I use, it'll be all 'nix from here.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Kimbo
Posted 08/03/2007 - 00:09 Link
Peter, post your query here: http://uktsupport.ipbhost.com/

You'll need to register first (helps to keep out the riff-raff) but there's some really helpful folk and I'm sure someone like Grasshopper will have your problem sorted in no time
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Kimbo
Posted 08/03/2007 - 03:35 Link
Peter, I hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of posting your problem for you (anonymously, in case you want to register with a different sign-on to what you use here), in the Hardware Support section with the topic title 'Vista issue'.

Grasshopper builds bespoke PCs and has been using Vista for a while.

It might help if you can include specifications : makes and models etc.
Mannesty
Posted 08/03/2007 - 06:23 Link
Thanks Kimbo, I'll take a look.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post my query.
Kimbo
Posted 08/03/2007 - 07:10 Link
You're welcome, no trouble at all.

Apart from the obvious possible compatibility issues, I haven't got a clue as I don't use Vista or even an external HDD myself!
Mongoose
Posted 15/03/2007 - 13:48 Link
Ammonyte wrote:
As a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer since 1999, I have absolutely no intention of ever running Vista on my own machines. XP will be the last mikeysoft OS I use, it'll be all 'nix from here.

except for the MCSE part, me too.

The rate at which distros like Ubuntu have been improving, Linux will be a fully viable Windows alternative by the time XP becomes unusably out of date.
Arthur Dent
Posted 22/03/2007 - 02:46 Link
I received my copy of Vista Business from Microsoft. I bought a couple of hard drives, and I'm dual booting to vista on a 32 bit machine and I also installed a second drive on a 64 bit machine, to install the 64 bit version of Vista. That's my work machine, so I haven't really looked at it much.

At least on the 32 bit machine, I've been using the Vista side most of the time, which is not what I expected. It's stable, it runs Photoshop just fine (my only real requirement), and I've also got Office 2007. Only a few drivers are not available for the system, and the only thing that won't work on it is my old home scanner (Epson 2450).

The graphic interface is pretty. It's also nice that they increased the width of the borders of the windows, so it's easier to grab them and move them. The Aero interface is cute, but it's just eye candy.

I find if I reboot to the Vista side, I have to re-enter the passwords for all my networked machines.

USB drives and devices seem to work just fine.

I have to say that Microsoft actually got it right this time. In time, drivers and such will emerge for the system. It even has a (fairly primitive) boot manager.

Having said all that, I'm not formating the XP side just yet.
42 Comment Image
Mannesty
Posted 22/03/2007 - 09:51 Link
I have the Epson 2450 too. Sad to hear that it won't work in Vista, which is a surprise. I guess I'll be keeping an XP machine after all.
stevejcoe
Posted 29/03/2007 - 09:54 Link
I too have setup a dual boot/hard drive 32 bit machine (XP and Vista) I agree Photoshop works fine on Vista the main problem I find is with USB peripherals ie Scanners, printers, card readers ect. The solution that has worked for all my kit to date is to point Vista to the windows/system32 directory of the XP hard drive, the XP drivers found there seem to work OK. Note that if you try to do this direct from a disk Vista will often fail to install the drivers because it is looking for a different installer.
Hope this helps - Steve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.