Microsoft ICE Panoramic Software
Posted 03/12/2013 - 12:47
Link
Posted 03/12/2013 - 13:05
Link
I've previously used ICE when it was available around the time of the launch of Windows XP. I believe that elements of it are now built into Windows Live Photo Gallery, although how it compares with the "stand-alone" program is an unknown to me.
Posted 03/12/2013 - 13:09
Link
Likewise, have used ICE. It does the job at least as well as anything else I've used, and better than some. Such a pleasant surprise to find a free program from Microsoft...
Posted 03/12/2013 - 13:48
Link
I've used it on several occasions, it brilliant.
It copes remarkably well with poor alignments. I've had a run of 7 or more handheld telephoto shots from a moving ship printed as a banner (over 10' long) and you have to look hard to spot the joins. It did fail to match on another similar run, but I suspect it was due to a rather plain patch of coastline.
It copes remarkably well with poor alignments. I've had a run of 7 or more handheld telephoto shots from a moving ship printed as a banner (over 10' long) and you have to look hard to spot the joins. It did fail to match on another similar run, but I suspect it was due to a rather plain patch of coastline.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 03/12/2013 - 15:15
Link
ICE is very good. I've run into problems where one object is much closer to the camera than the background is, because the perspective changes across shots, but that's not the software's fault.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 03/12/2013 - 16:05
Link
Thanks everyone. I think I'll download it later.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 03/12/2013 - 21:31
Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
ICE is very good. I've run into problems where one object is much closer to the camera than the background is, because the perspective changes across shots, but that's not the software's fault.
It's important to rotate the lens around it's entrance pupil to avoid parallax errors. You have to calibrate the pano head before hand. I use a DA10-17 for all my panos so only needed to calibrate it once.
ICE is very good. I've run into problems where one object is much closer to the camera than the background is, because the perspective changes across shots, but that's not the software's fault.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 03/12/2013 - 22:06
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
It's important to rotate the lens around it's entrance pupil to avoid parallax errors. You have to calibrate the pano head before hand. I use a DA10-17 for all my panos so only needed to calibrate it once.
You've got the underlying issue though that potentially the bit across from you is very close and the side content could be miles away. Like a mountain range for example.It's important to rotate the lens around it's entrance pupil to avoid parallax errors. You have to calibrate the pano head before hand. I use a DA10-17 for all my panos so only needed to calibrate it once.
I agree with your comments smeggy, just I guess wanted to add that what you are photographing has an impact as well.
Posted 03/12/2013 - 22:11
Link
richandfleur wrote:
I agree with your comments smeggy, just I guess wanted to add that what you are photographing has an impact as well.
The subject matter isn't an issue at all if there's no parallax errors.
Smeggypants wrote:
It's important to rotate the lens around it's entrance pupil to avoid parallax errors. You have to calibrate the pano head before hand. I use a DA10-17 for all my panos so only needed to calibrate it once.
You've got the underlying issue though that potentially the bit across from you is very close and the side content could be miles away. Like a mountain range for example.It's important to rotate the lens around it's entrance pupil to avoid parallax errors. You have to calibrate the pano head before hand. I use a DA10-17 for all my panos so only needed to calibrate it once.
I agree with your comments smeggy, just I guess wanted to add that what you are photographing has an impact as well.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



416 posts
20 years
Staffordshire,
England
My use of panoramic software has been limited to Elements Photomerge function and Canon Photostitch, which I actually thought was better than Photomerge.
Has anyone here tried Microsoft ICE and if so what do you think of it?