MF lenses on DSLR

AndrewA

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 17:03
Just wondering if there are any tips etc for shooting with MF lenses on my K-r please.

I now own SMC M 1:1.7 50mm & 1:3.5 135mm lenses and plan to make full use of them as the early shots last night were very promising.

Thanks.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

milamber

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 17:26
I've struggled a bit with manual lenses with my K-r, but that is probably just down to inexperience. Stationary objects were fine, especially close up, but moving objects were very hard. The 'catch in focus' feature is pretty good and worth having a play with. It doesn't always work, but I usually got a few shots each time that were o.k. Not as many as with AF, though.
Last Edited by milamber on 13/10/2011 - 17:28

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 17:50
AndrewA wrote:
Just wondering if there are any tips etc for shooting with MF lenses on my K-r please.

I now own SMC M 1:1.7 50mm & 1:3.5 135mm lenses and plan to make full use of them as the early shots last night were very promising.

Thanks.

To make things easier, set the focus selection to "Spot" and the audible focus confirmation to "ON" - then it's fairly easy as you get a audible confirmation when correctly focused.

OTOH, could be "awkward" if you want to shoot silently
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

smc

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 19:21
Wider aperture/brighter lenses are helpful. I have just picked up a Kr. The viewfindr is noticeably dimmer than my K10d and istDS. A split image screen might be helpful for manual focus, as well as the in camera rangefinder.

AndrewA

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 19:28
jeallen01 wrote:
AndrewA wrote:

Thanks.

To make things easier, set the focus selection to "Spot" and the audible focus confirmation to "ON" - then it's fairly easy as you get a audible confirmation when correctly focused.

OTOH, could be "awkward" if you want to shoot silently

Thanks, my K-r defaults to these settings with manual lenses, which is really helpful.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

davidstorm

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 20:43
Hi Andrew, as you probably know I love the old prime manual lenses. Most of the shots I post on the Gallery are taken with them. The only suggestion I can make is to practice lots and it does get more natural very quickly. My personal opinion (if it's worth anything) is that the K-x and K-r are very well suited to taking pics with the old lenses.

I've taken quite a lot of wildlife (bird) shots with a 40 year old Tamron Adaptamatic 300mm which has to be stopped down to f8 or so to get sharp results. This makes the viewfinder a little dim, but because the focus is so smooth, accurate and long it doesn't matter! I still get better focussed / sharper shots with this than with my DA L 55-300. I've proved this by blowing them up really large and the old lens stands this better than the new one does. Same with my 135mm f3.5 Takumars.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

womble

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 20:55
I'm afraid nothing beats practice. The K10D was my first autofocus SLR having used various film bodies since 1982...! I did, however, find fitting a good quality split screen helped enormously. I managed to pick up a Katzeye screen for my K20D.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 21:36
smc wrote:
Wider aperture/brighter lenses are helpful. I have just picked up a Kr. The viewfindr is noticeably dimmer than my K10d and istDS. A split image screen might be helpful for manual focus, as well as the in camera rangefinder.

Unfortunately, in my experience (quite a lot, sometime ago - starting with an early Praktika IV!), split image screens don't work too well in low light conditions (and/or small aperture lenses) as they need good illumination to work properly, and I suspect that dimmer viewfinders would only make the problem worse.

BTW: in that respect, the K-5 is probably worse than the KD10!!, but, of course, I don't know about the Kr
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 13/10/2011 - 21:38

Stuey

Link Posted 13/10/2011 - 22:26
Hello

I only have my K10D to play with mf lenses so I cannot comment on the kx or kr however I do love using my mf lenses.

My preference is m42 lenses as the combination of my ineptitude the k10 and m42 lenses works best for me - av mode of course

I do use the in focus option however sometimes I rely on my eyesight instead which is a little more hit and miss.

Practice is the only option and it's fun

Probably my star performer is my m42 Tokina 300mm f5.5 which I have not used for a while but plan to do so soon

Regards

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Last Edited by Stuey on 13/10/2011 - 22:27

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 14/10/2011 - 10:47
I sold all my old manual lenses a while back, some which I deeply regret and went back to AF but alas as I'm not in the position to spend £300 plus on new AF lenses so I made do with some of the well known budget lenses from Tamron and Sigma. Alas these appeared in my eyes to be a poor substitue to the likes of the M42 Taks, Ms and a gem of a Meyer Orestogor 200mm so I've switched back to the MF lenses. If you put the time in they can be very rewarding and can surpass the cheaper AF lenses in terms of performance. As has already been mentioned shooting moving objects in MF can be a bit of a challange but as a starter shoot at f8 and pre-focus on the spot you wish to take the shot at.

This is one of my older ones shot with a Pentax M 75-150mm f4:

A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.