Messing about in the kitchen

davidwozhere

Link Posted 21/12/2020 - 01:15
You wouldn't think it was the kitchen from this heap of swarf but that's what lockdown and boredom does to you.
I was originally going to use a manual flash to produce the glints off the metal but I lost patience with trying to set
it up and make it work. It has to be off camera for macro. The curly cable wasn't long enough, the radio gadget
refused to work so I reverted to old skool lo-tech, which is usually a lot more dependable. .....

Cantelever one of those translucent glass chopping boards over the edge of the worktop with the aid of a saucepan of water;
arrange an Ikea spotlight with a long flexible arm to shine through the chopping board, Put a kitchen stool underneath and
plonk a metal scouring pad made with aluminium metal turnings on the stool. Vary the light by raising it up and down. Simple!

K5 with a macro takumar 50mm and a long exposure at ISO 85 and f5.6. Didn't need flash in the first place!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 21/12/2020 - 07:39
Boredom to Brilliance in a few easy steps
LennyBloke

RobL

Link Posted 21/12/2020 - 08:17
Next time, if you are in low light, set your camera to a slow speed (two or more seconds is ideal) and hold the flash in your hand. Using a cable release or time delay press the shutter using the other hand and manually fire the flash when the shutter opens. This worked for me photographing an artefact in a church and my radio triggers failed as well.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 21/12/2020 - 09:44
A+ for creativity .

But what was swarf doing in the kitchen? Are you having lessons from Heston Blumenthal??

Steve

bforbes

Link Posted 21/12/2020 - 09:45
Frustration to first class
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

spinno

Link Posted 21/12/2020 - 12:23
Lubbyman wrote:
A+ for creativity .

But what was swarf doing in the kitchen? Are you having lessons from Heston Blumenthal??

Steve

More iron in the diet?
David

davidwozhere

Link Posted 22/12/2020 - 00:16
I had to put the lathe somewhere - the garage is full of cars!

Excellent suggestion to fire the flash with the test button. Never thought of that. Thank you all for your wit and encouragement.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.