Markyate window

womble

Link Posted 08/09/2020 - 21:01
K35/2 on a K-3, MLU, tripod etc.

Sept 08: Markyate window par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 01:33
I am not a window person. What is the reference to Markyate please?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

womble

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 06:57
Markyate is a village in Hertfordshire and this is one of the windows in the church.

Markyate has three claims to fame. Firstly, it used to be half in Hertfordshire and half in Bedfordshire with the county boundary running down the High Street. Secondly, it has one of the earliest bypasses. Lastly, the notorious "Wicked Lady", a highwaywoman, was rumoured to be Lady Katherine Ferrars who lived in Markyate Cell, a local stately home.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

RobL

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 07:44
A lovely shot, I find the simpler windows like this one have more resonance than the grander stained glass ones in cathedrals.

davidtrout

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 08:24
Nice one Kris. The light is handled expertly and the arrangement within the window frame is excellent whether organised by you or the ladies of the church. I like the historical background too.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

MrB

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 09:48
I love old windows generally but particularly old church stained glass - whether simple and muted or complex and colourful. They are one of my favourite photographic subjects. I have several photos taken in Markyate Church (I live in Hemel), but I must have missed this window so I am enjoying your photo, Kris!

Philip

pschlute

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 16:30
Smashing capture. It is as if time has stopped still
Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 10/09/2020 - 18:46
Thanks everyone.

davidtrout wrote:
Nice one Kris. The light is handled expertly and the arrangement within the window frame is excellent whether organised by you or the ladies of the church. I like the historical background too.
David

Definitely the ladies of the church! But their nice arrangement and the light is what caught my eye. Thanks.
Kris Lockyear

My website

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 18:07
So effective due to the simplicity and the beautiful. natural lighting (as David says!) - that lens is certainly getting a good workout
LennyBloke

womble

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 19:21
LennyBloke wrote:
So effective due to the simplicity and the beautiful. natural lighting (as David says!) - that lens is certainly getting a good workout

I'm using it for my "Single in September" challenge on the US fora, so yes, it is getting a really good workout!

Thanks John. K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

davidwozhere

Link Posted 12/09/2020 - 00:50
Thank you for the explanation. I thought it might have been that particular sort of glass! I shall return my brain to idling mode once more.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Sry

Link Posted 12/09/2020 - 16:05
Very delicate and enjoyable, Kris.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 14/09/2020 - 18:51
Really like this. The exposure is spot on and I like that desaturated colour look. The best is the graduated shadow giving it depth
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.